Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worming question-dog

Options
  • 23-09-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

Have a ten yr old lab - wormed her 10 days ago, not because we had noticed anything though, just as part of her worming routine. Anyway, today was out walking her - as I was doing the oh-so-elegant pooper scoopering, I noticed what looked suspiciously like a worm to me :eek: is that possible? I don't know anything about the process - do the worms die as a result of the tablets and then get excreted?! :confused::confused:

Or if not, should I give her more worm tablets?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Don't give her more tablets!

If the worms are dead that are in her poo then it's fine, the tablets kill the worms and then the dog excretes them. If the worms are moving in the poo - that's different and a trip to the vets may be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

Thanks Star-Pants - from what I could tell, they weren't moving - I'll keep a good eye on her "deposits" for next few days! :p

Would it take 10 days for the worming tablets to work and the worm to be excreted though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hmm seems worming tablets usually work fairly soon, 10days after giving them seems a little odd. I don't actually know tbh, I'd ring your vet and just check with them to be sure, your girl might need another dose if the worms are only out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some worming tabs only kill off certain worms, if you pop to the vets and tell them what's going on they'll be able to tell you wether to worm again or not and with what wormer.

We use Parazole it's gentle on tums much cheaper than other brands and deals with lots of wormies.

Advertisement