Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connections in Street Fighter 4

• 23-09-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Been playing this online the last while but nearly every match I play or search for has either 1 red bar or 2 orange ones. I rarely get any yellow. I was even trying to play Kirby and Futureguy the last day and I was getting red bar connections against them. Does it be like this alot on the game or could it be my connection?

And if its me anyways to improve it? Im on 3mb bb.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Sounds like it's your connection, are you on a weak wireles signal/sharing the connection/downloading stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeh, our games were 1 red bar... which is fairly unplayable.

Remember when you you were lagging in fifa and I talked you through changing your DNS? That worked well and the lag stopped.

Perhaps you should switch DNS again as I have a feeling it might be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Kirby wrote: »
    Yeh, our games were 1 red bar... which is fairly unplayable.

Remember when you you were lagging in fifa and I talked you through changing your DNS? That worked well and the lag stopped.

Perhaps you should switch DNS again as I have a feeling it might be that.

Yeah I havent changed since then im still on open dns. Are you suggesting going back to the eircom dns?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

joe123 wrote: »
    Been playing this online the last while but nearly every match I play or search for has either 1 red bar or 2 orange ones. I rarely get any yellow. I was even trying to play Kirby and Futureguy the last day and I was getting red bar connections against them. Does it be like this alot on the game or could it be my connection?

And if its me anyways to improve it? Im on 3mb bb.

I generally have no lag problems playing SF4. Funny thing is, there are times I play someone with 1 red bar and there is zero lag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Yeah the bars are by no means accurate... I've played people with 4 bars and it's laggy as hell and I've played people with 1 bar and it's as smooth.

I think there were problems with Eircom on Tuesday night. I was playing owwmykneecap the other night, Tuesday I think, and I had a 1 red bar connection it was like playing in syrup - I'd normally have at least 3 bars for as far as East Coast US or France, obviously ISP dependant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's very unlikely your DNS settings are causing it, so don't bother changing them.

Are you on a wired or wireless connection? Who is your ISP?

It's very unlikely your DNS settings are causing it, so don't bother changing them.

Are you on a wired or wireless connection? Who is your ISP?

Its wired. Im on Eircom 3mb although in the router page my speed is down as
    2048/256 (kbps)

I changed to open dns after eircoms was laggin like hell. Kirby told me to change it and it did seem to fix the problem.

If it's only synching at 2mb, then that's your problem.

It could be something on your line that's causing it. Easiest way to test that is to disconnect everything from your phone line except the router and see what it synchs at.

If it's still at 2mb, then remove the filter if you're using it.

If it's still at 2mb, try a different phone cable.

If it's still at 2mb, make sure it is connected to your main phone point (normally just inside the hall door).

If it's still at 2mb, do a hardware reset on your netopia. There is a small hole at the back of the router. If you press a bic pen in it for about five seconds while it is powered on, the power light will flash red and then it will start synching up again.

If it's still at 2mb, call eircomnet and describe exactly what steps you've taken as you either have a dodgy router or a line fault.

EDIT: You MUST power off/on the router between each step to force it to resynch.

Its alot easier to just check the SN margin on the router homepage. Anything above 10 downstream is fine.

If it's not synching at the correct speed then there's something wrong or he's just too far from the exchange and should be downgraded to avoid issues like that.

• Advertisement

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 10.80 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 11190 136

When I first got broadband in the phone line had to be re wired as it was going in a circle or something and the top speed I was getting 100kbs.

joe123 wrote: »
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 10.80 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 11190 136

When I first got broadband in the phone line had to be re wired as it was going in a circle or something and the top speed I was getting 100kbs.

Have you tried anything I suggested to see if there is anything on your line which is causing the problem?

His downstream attenuation is 52. Thats pretty huge. Probably miles and miles away from your exchange. I'd be happy enough with what I was getting with that distance. And look at those CRC errors! yikes!

We played loads yesterday and it was much better. What did you do to help? :)

Have you tried anything I suggested to see if there is anything on your line which is causing the problem?
    Kirby wrote: »
    His downstream attenuation is 52. Thats pretty huge. Probably miles and miles away from your exchange. I'd be happy enough with what I was getting with that distance. And look at those CRC errors! yikes!

We played loads yesterday and it was much better. What did you do to help? :)

I just reset the router to see if that helped in anyway and it seems to of worked. Will try you suggestions chopper if it continues to give trouble. Used to be constantly getting a red light on the router, rang eircom and they seemed to of fixed it but since then I seem to be getting alot more lag. Tis annoying!

Advertisement