Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Similar reccomendations to...

Options
  • 23-09-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Read a few great books lately. Most have been bought for me/reccomended. Usually when i buy something myself its TERRIBLE. Recent reads:

The virgin suicides
    The bell jar - Plath
    Girl Interrupted - Kaysen
    Less than Zero - Ellis (favourite book so far)
    Invisible Monsters - Palahniuk

Any reccomendations from this genre? Also, are there any GOOD websites where you can compare similar books. Most i've found are really inaccurate.
    Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Admittedly, I haven't read any of the books posted but Twelve by Nick McDonell would be in the same ballpark as Less than Zero:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twelve-Nick-McDonell/dp/184354072X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253784056&sr=8-2

I read it a few years back. It's good though reading about privileged US teens blowing their inheritance living like characters in a Larry Clark movie always disturbs me. Which is the point I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I loved Twelve. Million Little Pieces - James Frey reminded me of it a little. Maybe it was the drugs thing.

Shantaram is possibly the best book I've read all year. Just sayin' is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Some ideas:

Prozac Nation
    Running with Scissors
    The Acid House - Irvine Welsh
    Generation X
    The Wasp Factory
    The Crow Road
    Eureka Street
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
    The Gingerman
    Fierce Invalids home from Hot Climates

And I think Middlesex is great.

And people who like the stuff you like normally grow up to like Raymond Chandler novels. It's a little known fact, but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

this website is pretty good for comparing similar authors. worth checking out. someone on here recommended it to me a few months ago.

http://www.literature-map.com/

going by your reading list i'd recommend the following off the top of my head:

one flew over the cuckoo's nest by ken kesey
    hey nostradamus by douglas coupland
    i was dr mengele's assistant by niklos mysli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Avoid Prozac Nation, Elizabeth Wurtzel was just sooo annoying. Constantly blaming her mother for her depression. Wanted to slap her by the end.
    Anyway, you might like Life After God (Douglas Coupland), or Catcher In The Rhye (J.D Salinger).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Elizabeth Wurtzel was just sooo annoying. Constantly blaming her mother for her depression. Wanted to slap her by the end.

I wouldn't disagree - only recommended it because it is similar to the others the OP liked. I'd say the exact same about The Bell Jar, but the OP seemed to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Check out more Ellis and Palahniuk. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

American Psycho is brilliant, though granted, fairly fuucked up. Far more graphic than the film

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Middlesex
    The Secret History
    My Little Friend
    Running with scissors

Advertisement