Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest Insurance for First Car

• 23-09-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey guys, I'm 17 and I just got my provisional about two weeks ago and I'm looking into getting my first car.I'm stuck between a golf,Mazda 323 and punto,and anything else cheap tbh.The main consideration is insurance.I'm trying to find the cheapest possible,preferably not over 1500.I've looked a good few places.Lowest I've got is 2500 from Quinn while AIB quoted 7000!So i was hoping someone might be able to advise me on the cheapest around and what the cheapest car to get insured would be.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Get out the phone book and ring around to all the insurers/brokers you can think of. It's a bit of a pain but it's definitely the best way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 signal terror

Thanks,would you get cheaper quotes than online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I reckon you will go with quinn,been where you are and had friends where you are and almost all went with quinn.Dont tell lies when applying,have all your facts right and please dont act the bollix on the road when you do get insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

There should be a sticky on this somewhere IMO.

FWIW, I went with Hibernian Aviva.

FBD were competitive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CGolf

My first insurance was when I was 17 but on a full licence, on a 1.4 Golf. Axa were the cheapest for me at €2900. Good luck finding it for €1500, two years on and I'm still paying €1700! But then the engine size and value of the Golf would increase the premium against the Punto for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Op, the cars you've listed are 1.4's (ish), to keep your premium down to the bare bones, try and get a 1 litre or 1.1, I know it's pox but it'll help with your quotes.
    Anyway you can go named driver for a couple of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 signal terror

Thanks for all the advice.Yeah I'll be able to go named driver so that will help.What cars would you find around the one litre mark?Didn't know there was any!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks for all the advice.Yeah I'll be able to go named driver so that will help.What cars would you find around the one litre mark?Didn't know there was any!

Micra 1.0
    Yaris 1.0
    Fiesta 1.25
    Polo 1.0
    Panda 1.1/1.2
    Fabia (later models around 2003 have 1.2)

They're all the ones i can think of at the minute. I'd probably go for the fiesta or the Panda if it was me, the 1.25 is a great engine in the Fiesta, and the Pandas are cheap as chips and reliable, you'd pick up an 07 1.1 for around 5000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

my first years insuance was 4500 euro on a vw polo 1.4

cavan was were i was at the time. moved to waterford and it cut in half straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

chrism2007 wrote: »
    my first years insuance was 4500 euro on a vw polo 1.4

cavan was were i was at the time. moved to waterford and it cut in half straight away

Woah,4500 is very expensive for 1st time insurance...

Especially like that you live down the country, surely it should have been cheaper than 4500.

I'm with Quinn and its cheap enough on a 1.4 206.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

crazy money is what it was. apparently its the worst spot in ireland for claims. at the time anyway

with work i just had to drive. i was there for six months then moved to waterford and the payments cut in half

that was with axxa. im with quinn and no one can beat there quotes for me. 1400 on an audi a4. closest was 1800 from some unknown company. average about 2000 from the big names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

seat ibiza 1.0
    206 1.1

ill be in your situation soon too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

old mini...but they can be expensive
    them tiny fiats....cinquicento or sumtin like that
    there should be some tiny asian cars like an hyudai or something i see them all the time or daihatsu's
    micra
    mk1 clio 1.1l
    i think a peugeot 106 is a 1.2l

....and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm learning to drive currently. When I went from a 1.0 to a 1.3, my insurance went up by 260 and annnual tax by 140.

I think a lot of people would gladly pay the extra money if they really wanted a particular car, especially considering the bargains to be had out there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Murphy09

i say 2500 is the best ur gunno get, 17 with LP and male, u'll not get cheap insurance for years. ive bin there. mine at 18 was 2700 on a LP. keep engine size around 1.1 cause anything starts to get dear to insure. 1st few years will be a bitch for insurance but now im 21 with 3 years NCB and full licence and insurance is 960 so am sure ur quotes will be similar to mine. oh get cheap car and insure TPFT cause fully comp will be very exspensive for ya. just remember ur gunno be in the boy racer catogory for a few more years wether ya lik it or not so insurance will be high lol welcome to the club

only other way if a want cheap car insurance, get a car get ur mum or da to insure it and insure u as named driver, NCB will still count when ya get ur own policy later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

womoma wrote: »
    I'm learning to drive currently. When I went from a 1.0 to a 1.3, my insurance went up by 260 and annnual tax by 140. .

its terribly expensive ... for a clio it was something like 4000 on this site for a 17 yr old

http://insureme.ie/

Advertisement