Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB] Marketing Thread

13»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've ordered 10 books for spares for the night, if they dont sell I'll certainly take them as I havent ordered mine yet (due to these extras being available). I'll sort out the costs of that when I'm back on the 1st.

Really wish I could be there as launch last year was really one of my favourite memories of Boards :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I agree. The book is fantastic - in fact really difficult to pick a "best of the book" (slightly wrecking the head here) so the question is now, with such a great effort made, how can we sell a truck load of them?

The number of images is less than last year so we starting from behind when looking year on year at it.

Come on, ideas and actions folks!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If there's a softcover available for sale on the night, can I put my name on it? Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Yea. Mine arrived today. Great kudos to all involved. It looks great. A lot of fabulous images in there.

Now roll on the 28th for the party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

whats the protocol for sat night guys? What times it kicking off at? do we just collect our books there? will there be coldcuts?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I haven't seen an info all over boards yet about the launch - like last year. Maybe that's possible to arrange?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll do that today, can someone point me at the exact details??

DeV.

There's been no word back from our marketing team on this. Having talked to CabanSail and Xia, I think were looking at a :

7.30pm kickoff with the Boards Book launch from the Dublin Camera Club, on Camden Street.

All are welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Should I bring the santa suits and beards again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hi all, just ordered my copies of the book. Blurb was a bit difficult though, it didn't let me order without signing in to my blurb account, when I hit 'add to cart' when I wasn't logged in it just took me back to the main book store page, didn't ask me to log in or give an error.

I hope this doesn't hurt sales.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately we have no prints to hang on the wall from the book, however there is an exhibition currently on display in the gallery. I would think we should make the effort and dress up christmasy for the occasion. It would be great if everybody made the effort. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If we can get all the images burnt to a CD then we can turn the large monitor around and have the images being displayed that way.

Should we try to reserve some space at Devitts for later if people want to have a few more Beers there?

I think that the Santa Suits are a good idea Sinead. Do you have any of those cheeky Miss Santa Outfits too? ;)

lol - sorry - no :D

I *DO* look well in a beard though ;)

CabanSail wrote: »
    If we can get all the images burnt to a CD then we can turn the large monitor around and have the images being displayed that way.
    I'll do that. The original book resolution should be fine, yeah? Any special format the CD needs to be in?

I don't think I have anything christmassy to wear but do my best. So if anyone has a spare hat...Not sure how I would look like with a beard though...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

And don't worry about the exhibition in the DCC, pictures in our book are much better. Nothing against calendar pictures, but I really was not impressed by them.
    Boards Year Book rocks!!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'll do that. The original book resolution should be fine, yeah? Any special format the CD needs to be in?

The Screen is a large Philips LCD Monitor.

We just have a DVD player which then plays Jpegs in a loop. I think that is limited to a bit over 100 images so we should be fine with what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

sineadw >
    I *DO* look well in a beard though wink.gif

Just the beard !!!!! pics, or we don't believe ya !! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

so santie theme maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

sineadw >

Just the beard !!!!! pics, or we don't believe ya !! :p

I can vouch for Sinead, I've seen her when she hasn't shaved :D;):p

Have fun guys... wish I could be there... I'll be putting up an announcement tomorrow.

If you have anything specific you want me to mention (other then location, date, time etc, link to book etc), post it below!

DeV.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

would anyone be able to, or know someone who'd be able to, do a press release after the lunch party?

I have the one from last year somewhere - I'll email it to you and you can edit maybe? There's a specific way of structuring them...

Who was it sent it to a mate in a PR firm last year??? God my memory's woeful!

No chance of getting a press release out beforehand, in case any press want to be there?

I know it's a bit late...

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No chance of getting a press release out beforehand, in case any press want to be there?

I know it's a bit late...

Doesn't really work that way TBH - You give them the story and the pictures. They're not gonna send staff to a story like this...

Yeah, its all "post event" reporting now... the staffers are either lazy, over worked or quite simply not paid to go and ferret out stories. The days of a reporter with "Sleuth" on a card in his hat are long gone. :)

Have fun tonight guys and gals, I'll be toasting you from Malta (cant wait to see the book too!)

Also, I owe someone money for the 10 spare copies, whoever that is, tell them I'm good for it :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK as I didn't see one I put up a Facebook Event for tonight. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=188363968843&ref=mf

Reply to the RSVP if you are coming as it goes up on your FB wall and we get more exposure (people may buy from it!)

Does anyone have a square Santa Strike Force Logo or Photobook Logo done that I can add to the event?

Also if you have the book already put up a review on the blurb page. That will help with people browsing it making the decision to purchase.

(PS sorry about dual posting on the two forums mods, please don't smack me with your banhammer! :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Argh.. unlikely I'll be able to make it over. I've linked to it on my facebook page though.
    How do those not attending, who've paid for the book in a group by, get their hands on it..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

How did it go last night? I couldn't make it at the last minute (after I'd gone to all that trouble of growing a white beard for the occasion!). Was there a good turnout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Am I the first up and with some semblance of a head about them? Turn-out was good I thought.... not many public though!

Thanks everyone for coming along!

My head is perfectly fine:D - Just needed some sleep...
    Enjoyed last night! Just a pity that I've no idea who else was there I didn't get a chance to talk to. Suggestion for next time: Nametags with boards- and real-name (just kidding).

Here some of the pics in the pub

4142674530_9b231df486.jpg

4141903737_07091c0eba.jpg

4142656640_b84e8ea2df.jpg

4141921813_cc143c5ccb.jpg

4141925573_4c309e03a6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Hey all,

Probably the wrong place to ask this...
    Did all the hard back copies sell the other night at the launch party?
    If there are any left over I would like to buy one and save myself the shipping fee's.

All the books were Pre Ordered to save on shipping costs & get a bulk discount.

DeVore ordered a few extra copies as a bit of stock to sell to non-Boards people.

I wasnt there so I dont know if there are any left but if there are then that will be fine...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

xia wrote: »
    My head is perfectly fine:D - Just needed some sleep...
    Enjoyed last night! Just a pity that I've no idea who else was there I didn't get a chance to talk to. Suggestion for next time: Nametags with boards- and real-name (just kidding).

Here some of the pics in the pub

<snip>

Looked like a good laugh! So who's who in the photos then?

DeVore wrote: »
    I wasnt there so I dont know if there are any left but if there are then that will be fine...

DeV.

Do you know who I should ask?
    I'm not sure who had them on the night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    Looked like a good laugh! So who's who in the photos then?

From the top.
    Covey & Valentia
    Humberklog
    Calina
    pullandbang & humberklog
    Dakar

I believe M_S_Nixon was the person with them... but I'll be meeting him and will keep you a book if you dont get one from him directly (presuming there is one left!)

Perhaps MS_Nixon will see this and let us know...

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    I believe M_S_Nixon was the person with them... but I'll be meeting him and will keep you a book if you dont get one from him directly (presuming there is one left!)

Perhaps MS_Nixon will see this and let us know...

DeV.

there's 5 softbacks and 2 hardbacks left that didn't sell so if anyone wants one pm me or DeVore, they're €35 and €47 respectively which is what it'll cost to order them online and get basic shipping :)

• Advertisement

PM sent :)

I've e-mailed a lot of national, regional and local newspapers, magazines and radio/tv stations so everyone keep your eyes and ears open for the next few days and let us all now if we get a mention anywhere :)

I had planned on sending everyone's picture to a few of the e-mail addresses but I didn't have time to do that so I picked 4 pictures and sent them to all the e-mail addresses so apologies to everyone else :(

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is the Santa Strike Force website down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

talk of books, exhibitions, and so forth on the main forum reminded me of something - did we figure out eventually how many was sold say to the end of year and what that meant for the SSF in terms of the charitable donation? I can't recall it being mentioned so i'm just wondering. Apologies if i've missed it.

Gimme a sec...

OK, here's the sales data from Blurb:

October/November: 93 copies sold @ €5 = €465, less €4 fee = €461.
    December: 11 copies sold @ €5 = €55, less €4 fee = €51.

Total profits, €512.

Cheques are supposed to be sent 45 days after end of the calendar month in which profits were made, so I should be seeing a cheque for €461 shortly, and for €51 next month. I'll be lodging them promptly to the SSF bank account.

No sales since December. I'm also curious - have any more 2008 books been sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

No, the last 2008 book was sold in June.

Heh. Strangely, the cheque for €461 arrived today - talk about timing.

PARTAY!! Beer! New lens!

Um. I mean, cheque being lodged to SSF as soon as I can get to the bank... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I think this needs more attention! and a well done to all that took part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement