Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android phones in Ireland

• 24-09-2009 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

i have an old n73, i am with three.ie, i need the following
    1. i want a good market place, like the apple store, or access to the android marketplace
    2. a better camera than the carl zeiss 3.2 megapixel on my current phone
    3. real GPS, not only aGPS which has to have a signal from the mast to work
    4. a touch screen that is easy to use, i.e. capacitive
    5. it has to look the dawgs bollux! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

T-Square wrote: »
    1. i want a good market place, like the apple store, or access to the android marketplace

Wait for the Motorola Dext/Click?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Im not too familar with the dawgs bollux form factor :pac:

Dont think theres any phone currently out there to meet your requirements
    Im hoping htc follow up the hero with a tegra based android with a decent camera. is that too much to ask :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I used to have an N73 on three also and bought unlocked HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)

However, 2 and 5 aren't applicable here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

real GPS, not only aGPS which has to have a signal from the mast to work

Can you not switch off the aGPS and still have the GPS ? Sorry don't know much about it but I was planning on a phone with aGPS and don't fancy having to have full coverage to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

HTC Hero - although you have to buy it sim free. Have one myself for the last few weeks. great piece of kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

hal9000 wrote: »
    Im not too familar with the dawgs bollux form factor :pac:

Dont think theres any phone currently out there to meet your requirements
    Im hoping htc follow up the hero with a tegra based android with a decent camera. is that too much to ask :P

I think they're bringing out the tattoo next.

Edit: sorry didn't realize you were talking processors, Haven't woken up fully yet this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Can you not switch off the aGPS and still have the GPS ? Sorry don't know much about it but I was planning on a phone with aGPS and don't fancy having to have full coverage to use it.

A-GPS is simply an additional feature of the GPS receiver which allows your handset to find your location faster using the mobile network. You can turn the feature off and use the standard GPS without incurring any data charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

HTC are v good, except for their cameras which are rubbish...I have a samsung galaxy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

I'm just wondering why there are no android handsets out from any irish operator yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    A-GPS is simply an additional feature of the GPS receiver which allows your handset to find your location faster using the mobile network. You can turn the feature off and use the standard GPS without incurring any data charges.

Anything that uses A-GPS won't work at all without the mobile network. processing is offloaded to some server someplace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Dankoozy wrote: »
    Anything that uses A-GPS won't work at all without the mobile network. processing is offloaded to some server someplace

A typical A-GPS-enabled cell phone will use a data connection (internet, or other) to contact the assistance server for A-GPS information. If it also has functioning autonomous or standalone GPS, it may use standard GPS, which is sometimes slower on Time To First Fix, but does not depend on the network, thus can work beyond network range and need not pay fees for data traffic.[3]

Some A-GPS devices do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS

Which means if are in the middle of the back of beyond, and you want your phone to lead you home, you are fuped.

Some A-GPS devices do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS

I wasn't aware of any handsets equipped with A-GPS were unable to function using standard GPS, since A-GPS was implemented to allow for a faster connection. Which handsets are you aware of that are crippled like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I wasn't aware of any handsets equipped with A-GPS were unable to function using standard GPS, since A-GPS was implemented to allow for a faster connection. Which handsets are you aware of that are crippled like this?

rly? i thought they were all crippled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

A typical A-GPS-enabled cell phone will use a data connection (internet, or other) to contact the assistance server for A-GPS information. If it also has functioning autonomous or standalone GPS, it may use standard GPS, which is sometimes slower on Time To First Fix, but does not depend on the network, thus can work beyond network range and need not pay fees for data traffic.[3]

Which means if are in the middle of the back of beyond, and you want your phone to lead you home, you are fuped.

I've never seen a phone that doesn't allow you to turn off data and just use the GPS. Have you any examples?

T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream)
    I've never seen a phone that doesn't allow you to turn off data and just use the GPS. Have you any examples?

T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream)

Just to clarify on my previous post. When I said "I wasn't aware of any handsets equipped with A-GPS were unable to function using standard GPS", this is assuming the handsets in question actually have a GPS receiver. I'm aware of some handsets that use A-GPS for geo-tagging, but that don't have a GPS receiver, like the Sony Ericsson C510i, so when you mention the HTC Dream, are you referring to it as it can't fallback to standard GPS as it doesn't have a GPS receiver?

Just to clarify on my previous post. When I said "I wasn't aware of any handsets equipped with A-GPS were unable to function using standard GPS", this is assuming the handsets in question actually have a GPS receiver. I'm aware of some handsets that use A-GPS for geo-tagging, but that don't have a GPS receiver, like the Sony Ericsson C510i, so when you mention the HTC Dream, are you referring to it as it can't fallback to standard GPS as it doesn't have a GPS receiver?

Hehe ok im lost, my mistake, you can use GPS or GPS+A-GPS or just A-GPS on the HTC Dream

Advertisement