Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a projector with an xbox.

• 24-09-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41

Does anyone use a projector? are they any good? I was thinking about getting myself one for Xmas so if anyone could give me there opinion on them and recommend where i could get a decent one for a decent price I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I've used a Panasonic AE700 for years now (though TBH, these days I gravitate towards my HDTV instead):

http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae700.htm

Now, you'll notice that's an almost 5 year old projector at this stage. Still, it works very well. It has a dynamic mode that makes it work quite well in a pretty well lit room. For best results, you'd ideally want to darken the room as much as possible and use a screen (I just use a white wall...) but even without them, most modern HD projectors should cope quite well.

I got mine from Komplett:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10686

(current model of the Panasonic is the PT-AX200)

Though for sheer practical use, I'd probably get an HDTV instead. Unless if you have a really small space and want a pretty huge screen, then the projector might be a better option for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have only a projector in my cinema room, and do a lot of gaming on it, would find it very hard to go back to a tv now, in fact when i do i am rubbish..gaming on a 108" screen in HD is well worth the outlay on a projector

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

I have my xbox hooked up to a HD (720p) projector, It is especially handy for split screen games! I have an Optoma HD700X which has both HDMI and component inputs.

As mentioned above, you need some space to set it up correctly. You'd also have to have a separate sound system and also think how to run cables between and the bits 'n' bobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I have mine hooked up to a projector with 5.1 sound. you cant beat it for gaming. the screen size is awesome.

Id love to get upgrade to a short throw projector though, I have an Optoma ds306 which is a bit dated now, it does 720p. I use a vga cable to hook it up to the Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Mine is hooked up to a sony HD projector, nothing beats playing Tiger Woods than a 7ft tall golfer on my wall or call of duty with life size charcters storming the beach. Great playing rockband with a full line up at parties as well!

I do lose detail on very sunny days so I use a spare 19" monitor for those rare days.

Not sure I would reconmend my projector as its a couple of years old now. Best place to buy would be a stationary suppliers and haggle like mad on the price as they have around €35% margin to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Recently played COD4 on a PS3 in a mate's house using a HD projector. Multiplayer mode absolutely excellent imho. Cannot remember type of projector but was using just a blank white wall - still very good though I thought.

Note: watch out for bulb life, while they last a long time they are expensive enough to replace but friend found reasonably-priced ones after hunting around on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

This may sound like a stupid question but do you need a specific type of screen for a HD projector?

Does it make any difference to just playing it on a blank wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

whats a decent price range for one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

smooch71 wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question but do you need a specific type of screen for a HD projector?

Does it make any difference to just playing it on a blank wall?

It's far better to have an actual screen cos they have tiny fragments of glass in them to reflect back light and improve picture quality, you can get away with having it project onto a wall but you're losing out if you do.

It's far better to have an actual screen cos they have tiny fragments of glass in them to reflect back light and improve picture quality, you can get away with having it project onto a wall but you're losing out if you do.

Thanks

Will a standard screen do?

• Advertisement

Thanks

Will a standard screen do?

What do you mean? a standard projector screen? they come in all types really ranging from cheap and cheerful (manual pulldown ones) to really expensive (motorised movement and gold plated handles :D)

A budget one will do a far better job than a blank wall could though.

What do you mean? a standard projector screen? they come in all types really ranging from cheap and cheerful (manual pulldown ones) to really expensive (motorised movement and gold plated handles :D)

A budget one will do a far better job than a blank wall could though.

What I meant was is there a range of HD specific screens or will one that suits a standard projector do.

I like the idea of those gold plated handles though!!

What I meant was is there a range of HD specific screens or will one that suits a standard projector do.

I like the idea of those gold plated handles though!!

Ah right. Screens come in aspect ratios, ie 4:3 or 16:9, no HD specific ones as far as i know! :)

Ah right. Screens come in aspect ratios, ie 4:3 or 16:9, no HD specific ones as far as i know! :)

Nice one

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Most of the screens have the max size picture you can get on them. Bear in mind that the if you put a widescreen picture on the 4:3 screen you won't be able to reach that max picture size and probably vice versa. 16:9 would be the way to go for the xbox.

nevelator wrote: »
    16:9 would be the way to go for the xbox.

Undoubtedly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

104" screen and an Optoma HD65 - a cheap way to get into HD gaming and once you see your games on the whole side of your livingroom wall there is no turning back.

im sure you can find it for less than this

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344100&cks=ASS&assoc=33B93A9A-5D6F-4008-8B95-5338CC3F2AA6&gclid=CKCqi5yezJ0CFY6CzAod2hEJuA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not to be pendantic but full HD is 16:9 (1920X1080)

duploelabs wrote: »

you can project a full hd signal in 16:9 format onto a 4:3 screen , just the size will be smaller...you can adjust projected image size so can fit pretty much anything..you will of course have unused parts of the 4:3 screen, but the projected image will be 1920*1080 so still full hd 16:9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

So is 720p - what your point ?

1280x720 = 16:9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Smoggy wrote: »
    So is 720p - what your point ?

1280x720 = 16:9

my point is that the previous poster said
    Ah right. Screens come in aspect ratios, ie 4:3 or 16:9, no HD specific ones as far as i know
    but HD (1080 or 720) is 16:9

my point is that the previous poster said

but HD (1080 or 720) is 16:9

as i tried to say earlier you can project a full hd image onto a 4:3 screen(it may be a waste) .so if you really did want to be pedantic it is true to say there no specific hd screens

Advertisement