Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost my *second* passport...

• 24-09-2009 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

In a situation here!

My first Garda ID was stolen on me on my travels. When I got home a week ago I went into the Garda station looking for a form for a replacement ID but they had no forms due to "cutbacks"...

My original passport was mislayed a few years back and I was fairly paranoid about bringing my second one out as ID to a club, but didn't have much choice, so I brought it. Low and behold it has now gone amiss (admittedly though my own actions!).

Is it true that you can only have 2 lost/mislayed passports in your lifetime? If I apply for *another* replacement will I be rejected? I heard that after 2 passports they only give you short-term passports as a precaution! I'm an avid traveller so this has me fairly worried. Any advice or stories from your experience would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Yea, pretty much. They'll only issue you 1 year passports after a certain amount of time, could be a year. Hope you didn't have any hols planned. Its to stop people selling their passports.

you could claim that your last one was destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Have you asked the club you were in do they have your passport? I lost mine clubbing once and got it back.

exhaust all options before you report it missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Have you asked the club you were in do they have your passport? I lost mine clubbing once and got it back.

exhaust all options before you report it missing.

i'd exhaust you're option......... wait this isn't ????????? is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

I've lost/had stolen 3-4 passports over the years. The last time I was issued one, the guy behind the counter said something along the lines of they were flagging me & my passport movements were being tracks. "Nothing to worry about", he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just filling in one at the moment and looking at the lost section

"A passport is a valuable document and loss or theft is a serious matter. Loss of two or more passports will most likely mean your next passport will be issued for a limited period of validity"

take that what ever way you want but i know from tv that passports are valuable documents on the black market. Especially with these oil barrons who want to lodge 15 million in your account and give you 5%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

gosimeon wrote: »
    If I apply for *another* replacement will I be rejected?

I imagine they can't reject a valid application for a passport.
    It's your constitutional right to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

But I think they can restrict the timeframe that its valid for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And other countries constitutional right to refuse you entry regardless of weither or not you have a passport and no prior convictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Tell that to the guys in "D" Wing in Portlaoise. !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

In a situation here!

My first Garda ID was stolen on me on my travels. When I got home a week ago I went into the Garda station looking for a form for a replacement ID but they had no forms due to "cutbacks"...

My original passport was mislayed a few years back and I was fairly paranoid about bringing my second one out as ID to a club, but didn't have much choice, so I brought it. Low and behold it has now gone amiss (admittedly though my own actions!).

Is it true that you can only have 2 lost/mislayed passports in your lifetime? If I apply for *another* replacement will I be rejected? I heard that after 2 passports they only give you short-term passports as a precaution! I'm an avid traveller so this has me fairly worried. Any advice or stories from your experience would be much appreciated.

Never mind ..I believe the Summer of 2013 is going to be great in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

How much did you get for it OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I've lost so many that I'm nearly on a provisional passport. Usually reserved for terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I'm on my third passport as well. I lost the last one in Ibiza airport. They let me through Spanish and British customs with a letter from the police, and when I got back to Dublin the passport office issued me a new one in under two hours so I could make a flight out to Portugal that evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Just filling in one at the moment and looking at the lost section

"A passport is a valuable document and loss or theft is a serious matter. Loss of two or more passports will most likely mean your next passport will be issued for a limited period of validity"

take that what ever way you want but i know from tv that passports are valuable documents on the black market. Especially with these oil barrons who want to lodge 15 million in your account and give you 5%

Bit short on funds.. Link please:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If I apply for *another* replacement will I be rejected? I'm an avid traveller so this has me fairly worried.

Get onto Pavee point and see what they can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hmmm, if they restrict you to an annual passport, what of certain airlines that won't accept one with less than six months remaining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

according to section 12 of the 'passports act 2008', losing or having a passport stolen is not grounds for refusal of issuance of a passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I lost one passport and when I was getting my second over the summer, I was told to be more careful because I would never be issued with a third ten year passport, only one with a limited validity period. So I'd go searching, OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i lost a couple,was issued with a short-term passport and when that ran out i was issued with a new 10 year passport,with a caveat 'be careful or no more'.
    (my current passport is one of the new ones,with the plastic type card,
    which has broken ,which i've had to stick together with sellotape and it only got noticed by passport control for the first time in six months the other day)
    that young people have to use a passport as i.d when out drinking is an obvious recipe for disaster and then the government refuse to issue a 10 year passport because the applicant has lost said passport??

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

on my fourth at least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

You should be fine.

1. Get a new passport form and fill it out as directed. You'll need to get the lost/stolen section signed and stamped in a garda station.

2. You'll need to supply some form of ID (even if not photo ID), birth cert etc.

Was working there during the summer and am unaware of any restrictions in the number of passports you can have. However they may issue you with a short term one for a limited time before issueing you a normal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

wudangclan wrote: »
    i lost a couple,was issued with a short-term passport and when that ran out i was issued with a new 10 year passport,with a caveat 'be careful or no more'.
    (my current passport is one of the new ones,with the plastic type card,
    which has broken ,which i've had to stick together with sellotape and it only got noticed by passport control for the first time in six months the other day)
    that young people have to use a passport as i.d when out drinking is an obvious recipe for disaster and then the government refuse to issue a 10 year passport because the applicant has lost said passport??

You were lucky your taped-up passport was accepted, many passport controls would probably reject it because it is defaced. Might be a good time to seek a replacement again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 inspired09

I lost a passport a few years ago, when i applyed for a new one they issued it for just a year, & said if i lost it again i wouldnt get another one! Think they were just trying to scare me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JohnSmith101

I lost one when I was 19, and another this year at age 25. Got the replacement through the Irish Embassy where I live with no problems although I am disappointed that my new one has a biometric chip:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Yep ive lost 2 aswell - no bother getting them done. Felt like a total plonker though.
    I wouldnt worry about it

Advertisement