Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spa-Francorchamps racing licence suspended

• 24-09-2009 6:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

seriously why would you move next to one of the most famous circuits in the world then complain about noise, i mean wtf

I'm sure it'll be sorted soon though

story from crash.net
    The legendary Spa-Francorchamps circuit – traditional home to the Belgian Grand Prix – may be set to slip off the Formula 1 calendar again after it emerged that the Ardennes track has had its licence suspended by the local Council of State...until 2026.

The bombshell was dropped upon circuit director Pierre-Alain Thibaut following an investigation into noise levels in the wake of a renewed permit issued back in April, 2007. One of the conditions of the new licence was that an environmental impact study must be carried out following on from complaints made by local residents, but according to Pitpass the Council of State has adjudged the work conducted by Spa organisers to be 'seriously inadequate and incomplete' – leading to the draconian decision that has been subsequently taken.

“Since the filing of the complaint, the situation has changed,” Thibaut told Belgian news agency Lesoir. “The circuit has worked hard to reduce noise, and relations with local residents have improved.

“It is a difficult situation, but we've made commitments vis-à-vis a range of people, and we must comply on pain of having to pay damages. We will challenge the government, and organise a dialogue with the board of residents.”

Should the Belgian Grand Prix disappear from the F1 schedule in 2010, it would be to the dismay of drivers, teams and fans alike, the majority of whom hold it to be one of – if not the – best circuits in the world, one of the few remaining real tests of competitors' skill in an era dominated by anodyne Tilke-dromes.

The race was not held in 2003 or 2006 due to issues regarding respectively tobacco advertising laws and major repair work, but Spa has in total staged Belgium's round on the annual world championship calendar on 42 occasions since the first official season all the way back in 1950. The event has also taken place at Zolder (ten times) and Nivelles (twice).

There has been talk of a race-share deal between Spa and the Nürburgring in the future, with the two venues appearing on the calendar in alternate years off the back of reputed £3 million losses for the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix alone. The 2010 Belgian Grand Prix has a provisional date of 29 August.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm sure it's play-acting from the residents.
    Maybe they are demanding more tickets which they can sell or some sort of compensation.
    Seen similar when I lived beside Croke Park. But it wasn't the longer term residents who complained the most. It was people who moved to the area and were then shocked with the garda cordon, the big crowds and the noise. What were you expecting??

The track has been there for decades, probably longer then most of the residents have been alive.
    This will get sorted eventually.

In a worldwide reccesion surely the locals should be welcoming tens of thousands of people to their area for a few weekends a year. Will bring massive spending. And if someone was enterprising they might set up a stall or maybe provide paid parking on some spare land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

yeah seems ridiculous. Races have been going on there sine the 1920's, are people really suggesting that they noise has been acceptable until recently?

Screw the residents TBH, they knew when they moved there that the track was there. Same with people living near Croke Park. I'm sure there are plenty that would give their right arm to be that close to the place and your there unhappy so move and make yourself and someone else much happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Hopefully this is over-turned. I was about to buy tickets for Spa earlier on today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Will be very disappointed if this race goes.

I'll probably stop watching all together TBH, its the highlight of the calender. Most of the other tracks are boring and have no character.

On many you couldn't tell what circuit you were at by a picture of a corner or the straight at this stage.

Show me any part of Spa and I could probably tell you where on the track it is. I've watched so many races there and is always my favorite track in any F1 games I own. I don't see how F1 can afford to get rid of TBH.

Surely they'll lose more by not having it as it is a very well known race even among people that don't really follow F1, many will have an interest if the race is Spa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was disgusted when I heard they were/are thinking of alternating between Spa and the Nurburgring. There are a few tracks on the F1 calendar that I really like - Spa and Suzuka being the main ones. And we've had to put up with Spa being on and off the calendar, then the Japanese GP moving to Fuji. Thankfully it's back at it's rightful home of Suzuka.

It's such a shame that the Belgian GP is only 44 laps. I know they have some rule about a race not being longer than 2 hours or so many miles. I wish they'd make an exception for Spa though.

I may go ahead and buy tickets anyway. Worst case scenario the race is called off and the money gets refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Spa is the best race on the calendar!!
    They can't take it off!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Aye Spa is great, prob the only circuit this year where theres been overtaking apart from the first 2 or 3 laps and the pitstop windows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Spa is the best race on the calendar!!
    They can't take it off!!!

They did take it off, in '06, but it was back for '07 due to tobacco sponsorship.

I think that it is rediculous that it might be dropped because of noise, its only one week in the year that the F1 race is on.

You can't really compare that to Croke Park, because there are matches there all summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

kierank01 wrote: »
    They did take it off, in '06, but it was back for '07 due to tobacco sponsorship.

I think that it is rediculous that it might be dropped because of noise, its only one week in the year that the F1 race is on.

You can't really compare that to Croke Park, because there are matches there all summer.

Spa's not just open for the F1 weekend :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Spa's not just open for the F1 weekend :rolleyes:

Yeah but in fairness the level of noise would probably be much lower at most other events at the circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Yeah im sure F1 is the noisiest.

Advertisement