Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSPCA Rehoming Procedures

Options
  • 24-09-2009 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

We are thinking of adopting a kitten from the DSPCA. I have read their homing procedures online, but was wondering if anyone here had been through this process before and could tell me what I can expect?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Just did this the other day. It was relatively straight forward. They made sure we had permission from the landlord and that we had a little experience in looking after a pet before. They went through everything else in terms of neutering/vacinnations with us as well.

They also made sure that we had all the appropriate paraphenalia such as litter tray/Carry box etc..

We picked up a 10 week old who is pure black. He has been great so far. His Brother and sister are out there at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

novarock wrote: »
    Just did this the other day. It was relatively straight forward. They made sure we had permission from the landlord and that we had a little experience in looking after a pet before. They went through everything else in terms of neutering/vacinnations with us as well.

They also made sure that we had all the appropriate paraphenalia such as litter tray/Carry box etc..

We picked up a 10 week old who is pure black. He has been great so far. His Brother and sister are out there at the moment!

Thanks for that. I've adopted from rescue in the past, but I always get ridiculously and unneccesarily nervous! lol

What kind of permission did they look for from the landlord. We have a statement on our lease that says "one cat allowed". Will that be enough or do we need a letter also?

Do they come and do a homecheck?

Also, they say on their website that their kittens are all out in foster homes. Do you get to see a few kittens or do they just pick one for you?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

We also just went through this and got a lovely 4 month old kitten. They didn't do a home check and I don't think they generally do for cats, unless there is something specific that they want to check. We own our home so the landlord permission was not relevant. Basically you just go out there have a look at what they have and then put your name down for the one that you like. You then have to complete a questionnaire and leave that with them. They then check that the cat you have picked is suitable for your circumstances and call you back to arrange a collection date and time. We went out on last Sunday, picked the cat and picked her up on Tuesday.

One bit of advice if you plan to go out on Sunday, get there early as they open at 12 and it is very busy with lots of familys looking for cats. They told us that as they have limited space a lot of kittens are with foster homes and are only brought in when they have space and are ready to be rehomed. So if you work on the principal that a lot of the cats are rehomed on a Tueday or Wednesday following the weekend then Thursday could be a good day to go and look as they may have the most new residents then.

They charge €80 per cat, but the cat will be fully checked by their vet, vaccinated, wormed and neutered. If the cat is under 6 months then they make an appointment with you to come back and get the cat neutered when it is old enough.

I couldn't recommend it more, its a lovely place and the people are really helpful and friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

cosnochta wrote: »
    What kind of permission did they look for from the landlord. We have a statement on our lease that says "one cat allowed". Will that be enough or do we need a letter also?

Do they come and do a homecheck?

Also, they say on their website that their kittens are all out in foster homes. Do you get to see a few kittens or do they just pick one for you?

I haven't adopted from this rescue, but in my experience with other rescues, including the one I currently volunteer for, a lease that says cats allowed is sufficient proof of permission. A letter is only needed if the lease isn't clear.

And its usually possible to view kittens if people want to; I had 3 people around to my house last weekend to view kittens that I was fostering, and after a homecheck they went on to their new homes :) Not all rescues home check for cats though. Conversely, I've also rehomed kittens based on a photo and description only; potential owners are often happy enough with this, but some like to come play with the kittens and choose based on which one they "click" with, rather than appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 majestic0110

Good question OP! I am in a similar situation myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i was there with novarock adopting said black kitten, we went on wednesday and were able to take him home there and then.. i think they don't adopt out on sundays so you will have to go twice if that's when you're going..
    there are a few kittens there, probably more now that alot of the other cats have been taken home...
    i don't think they often do homechecks before you adopt a cat but you have to give them the option if they ever want to call out...
    best of luck with your new kitten! ours is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

Thanks everyone. We are going to go out for a look early next week so with a bit of luck we'll have our new pal within the week! Can't wait!

Advertisement