Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Direct sending license reminders?

• 24-09-2009 8:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Just got a letter from QD, "reminding" their customers that you must hold a current license for the category of bike you're driving (well, duh...) and that if you don't, they won't pay up in the event of a claim. It just seems odd to me that they are sending these out now (as I've been insured with them for a couple of years already) and wondering if everyone is getting similar letters? Just curious what prompted these reminders...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

My wife and I both got these letters yesterday, I was wondering if they think we are insured without holding a license or if it's just the case of having the license with you all the time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

J-blk wrote: »
    (well, duh...)

As a matter of interest, are you on a provisional or full licence, and if full, are you within your restriction period?

I can understand the reminder in cases where restrictions (should) apply to your policy, otherwise it is just a bulk reminder because they can't tell from their system what licence you should have for your policy.

Thinking about it, knowing them, that seems quite likely :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

I'd say this is to remind people who are on restriction that they are not covered by insurance if their bikes have a power output greater than 33bhp/25kwh. I got the letter too, full license, 20 months of restriction remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Presume it is a "cover their ass" scenario.

A lot of threads both here and elsewhere talking about insurance companies not being concerned with your license type and/or bike type. Most of these ended in the Insurance Company giving you a quote on a bike but stating that it is up to you to ensure you are licensed to drive the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The way the law is currently worded in Ireland, you hold a valid license with or without a restriction. Quinn can try to screw me, I'll happily take them to court.

• Advertisement

The way the law is currently worded in Ireland, you hold a valid license with or without a restriction. Quinn can try to screw me, I'll happily take them to court.

Apologies for not following you here, but can you clarify this?

As I look at my licence, I had two specific date periods written in the different sections for A (<25kw and >25kw).

i.e. until I had passed the date for the >25kw that section was not valid, so any insurance policy could not take that section into account.

Whatever grey area about restriction kw And Or ptw there is, it is most certainly not with the validity of category.

nereid wrote: »
    Apologies for not following you here, but can you clarify this?

As I look at my licence, I had two specific date periods written in the different sections for A (<25kw and >25kw).

i.e. until I had passed the date for the >25kw that section was not valid, so any insurance policy could not take that section into account.

Whatever grey area about restriction kw And Or ptw there is, it is most certainly not with the validity of category.

No problem. By Irish law you hold a valid license for your vehicle even if it hold restrictions. Its still a valid license.

Its the reason why provisional/permit drivers can't have their vehicles taken off of them when caught by the cops driving outside of the restrictions imposed on them. Because its still a valid license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

My GF got this letter as well a few days ago. She just passed her test so she is limited to a 33bhp (25kW) motorcycle. She rides a '97 Hornet 250 so I hope that falls under the restriction!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

My GF got this letter as well a few days ago. She just passed her test so she is limited to a 33bhp (25kW) motorcycle. She rides a '97 Hornet 250 so I hope that falls under the restriction!

According to this page the bike is over the power limitations.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    According to this page the bike is over the power limitations.
    Yeah... I googled it after posting and it's over the 33bhp... Oh well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

As a matter of interest, are you on a provisional or full licence, and if full, are you within your restriction period?

Nope, I have had a full "A" EU license for the last 13 years, so no restrictions apply - and that's the license I produced to all three insurance companies I have been with in Ireland, so nothing has changed on my end...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I heard about this bulk mail thing today, loads of people seem to be getting these letters.

I wonder about the legality of this, can they actually withdraw all cover from you? I thought they had to pay up and then sue you for the payout separately?

Oryx wrote: »
    I wonder about the legality of this, can they actually withdraw all cover from you? I thought they had to pay up and then sue you for the payout separately?
    I'm pretty sure that's the way it goes. It's scaremongering...

Oryx wrote: »
    I heard about this bulk mail thing today, loads of people seem to be getting these letters.

They'll payout for whatever claims are made then look to recoup the costs from you AFAIK

I still don't see the point of the letter - re-read it and it says they are sending it to all their customers. As already pointed out, what, they can't tell from their database what license you've claimed you have? What exactly is the point of sending out a crap bulk mail to all customers that probably won't apply to the majority of them anyway? :confused:

it says they are sending it to all their customers.

I would simply put this down to some sort of FYI so.

I got one from one of my savings account banks, and none of the T&C's that applied to the online savings plan were changed, but I got the letter all the same.

did I give a damn? no. did I think that they had a poor CRM system, yes.

In this case, this is nothing short of quinn openly admitting that they do not know what details they have on you are correct, or are not bothered finding this out.

Instead, they put the onus on you to be sure that you are in line with whatever the T&C's are (which you should do anyway) which is pretty standard policy to be honest.

i.e. when someone chooses to claim, they can turn through their details that were supplied, and if there are any discrepancies, they can walk, as they informed you they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

waste of a stamp for them to be honest!! Only thing is as one poster said, the insurance companies obviously realise there are loads of threads out there and now this letter has caused lots more with the same tone of ignore the letter, it means nothing! hmmmm

i.e. when someone chooses to claim, they can turn through their details that were supplied, and if there are any discrepancies, they can walk, as they informed you they would.

They have to pay any third party claims. They can then choose to go after you for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I got one this morning. My initial reaction was 'what a waste of paper' but thinking about it now i think it's a good gesture by Quinn. I'm normally cynical about insurance companies,figure that they'd rather you didn't have your details(license/engine size etc.) correct so they can find any loophole to not pay out in the event of a claim. Quinn by sending these letters out are doing many people a favour by reminding them to check that your details are right imo,fair play,never got anything off Hibernian or Aon when i was with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

lord lucan wrote: »
    I got one this morning. My initial reaction was 'what a waste of paper' but thinking about it now i think it's a good gesture by Quinn. I'm normally cynical about insurance companies,figure that they'd rather you didn't have your details(license/engine size etc.) correct so they can find any loophole to not pay out in the event of a claim. Quinn by sending these letters out are doing many people a favour by reminding them to check that your details are right imo,fair play,never got anything off Hibernian or Aon when i was with them.

I think I got something similar from Hibernian about carrying a pillion on a provisional years ago.

• Advertisement

Interestingly enough, the letter doesn't say anything about the power to weight ratio :confused:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91835&stc=1&d=1253879531

I also thought the "or have held" wording is weird. So does that mean that if I had a suitable license years back and I was never disqualified from driving, then I'm still covered? How does that make any sense?!

Oh and Kamikazi, did you drive over the letter before scanning it? :)

haha, it wasn't scanned by me, apparently it was walked on :pac:

"or have held" wording is weird. So does that mean that if I had a suitable license years back and I was never disqualified from driving, then I'm still covered? How does that make any sense?!

The "and" after implies you have to look at the sentance as a whole. Which means you can insure yourself on a motorbike if you can hold a motorbike license(which is everybody over 17/18) but can't ride it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Cover their ass!!

Quinn will insure anyone without asking to see licence. Then when they have crash etc. they want to see it, and very quickly point out that your not insured as you dont have licence. I'd guess this is a way of counteracting any legal issues....

Well Judge, we told our clients they were not insured if they had no licence, sure didnt we write to them specifically about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I'm still assuming this will go along the lines of, Quinn have to pay out in any case where their client is at fault but due to informing the customers of their obligations the road is clear to sue the client's ass and try to recover costs after the fact.
    Otherwise I'm sure a case could be argued that Quinn was negligent in checking and verifying the client could hold a policy with them and so they may not have a come back against clients with good lawyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I'm still assuming this will go along the lines of, Quinn have to pay out in any case where their client is at fault but due to informing the customers of their obligations the road is clear to sue the client's ass and try to recover costs after the fact.
    Otherwise I'm sure a case could be argued that Quinn was negligent in checking and verifying the client could hold a policy with them and so they may not have a come back against clients with good lawyers.

I don't think they do have to pay out, the 3rd party can claim from the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland since your effectively uninsured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I don't think they do have to pay out, the 3rd party can claim from the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland since your effectively uninsured.

That would make sense also. Would probably need someone from an insurance company on here to say how it goes for sure. They would probably mention your liability in such letters if they had to chase their clients for cash. This way though they just walk away.

Advertisement