Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis slips further down the slippery slope as second batch of high tech CCTV ordered

• 24-09-2009 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

On reading this weeks issue of the Clare People there was a report that Ennis is to get a second phase of CCTV installed. As it is they are situated on almost every intersection, car park and street corner.

surveillance-cameras-400.jpg

The recent cameras installed are one of the most sophisticated available even more so than some of those installed in Central London and can be seen on Riot control vehicles, they can pan, tilt and zoom right in on a target and monitor all your movements. :eek:

This is extremely worrying if all this technology eventually gets into the hands of Brussels :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

On reading this weeks issue of the Clare People there was a report that Ennis is to get a second phase of CCTV installed. As it is they are situated on almost every intersection, car park and street corner.

surveillance-cameras-400.jpg

The recent cameras installed are one of the most sophisticated available even more so than some of those installed in Central London and can be seen on Riot control vehicles, they can pan, tilt and zoom right in on a target and monitor all your movements. :eek:

This is extremely worrying if all this technology eventually gets into the hands of Brussels :eek:

The Royal Academy of Engineering also warned that lives could be put at risk by the lurch towards a 'big brother' society in which the Government and even supermarkets hold huge amounts of personal information on us.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-444819/UK-1-worlds-population-20-CCTV-cameras.html#ixzz0S0oxKXQC

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

That crowd in brussels probably already know what you had for breakfast this morning.
    If you have nothing to hide ,Have no fear !!
    The more cameras in around the town the better.
    Ast he word goes out that all action is being monitored we will see the number of anti social activities and assaults decrease.
    I for one would feel safer walking alone through the town at night knowing
    that someone is looking out for my safety.
    The gardai response time....Now thats another story:eek:

That crowd in brussels probably already know what you had for breakfast this morning.
    Ast he word goes out that all action is being monitored we will see the number of anti social activities and assaults decrease.

Well I have no problems walking home alone at night... if I sense danger I take appropriate action to evade it... just like in Metal Gear Solid :D

What I do have a problem with is some stranger in Limerick, Dublin or London following me all the way from the pub to my doorstep... I have to say there is something unsettling about that feeling

For people who are worried about walking home, I suggest you get a Taxi... I like walking home after a few pints and been watched by cameras just wrecks the buzz.

Anyone ever considered "Project Mayhem" from Fight Club style tactics to take these cameras out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

But they'll be eating your babies next, it's the only logical conclusion

:D

meglome wrote: »

You didn't really leave that comment open ended, probobly just so you try stop RTDH in his tracks... what is that supposed to be anyway... Funny?

So you like or dislike been watched all the time? Id say you wouldnt mind though, coz you have full faith in the authorities and trust their every word!

There you you again... branding anything that thats way off your frequency you have to bring name calling and joking into it... "why not so serious?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

There you you again... branding anything that thats way off your frequency you have to bring name calling and joking into it... "why not so serious?"

Keyboards should really come with breathalyzers.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

meglome wrote: »

Stop tying to suppress the truth mate,

The EU is behind financing this sofisticated camera network in its up and coming undemocratic fascist dictatorship that ignored French and Dutch democracy and is having a second attempt at Ireland..

fascism2.jpg

Every move you make will be monitored and logged on digital record by the EU in its so called "fight on terrorism". :eek: Wake up lads. and VOTE NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The last thing I'd like to do is suppress the truth. You're being so ridiculously over the top you're spoiling any point you're trying to make. People will only swallow so much bull.

Maybe you should explain how many people were wrongly convicted of something from CCTV footage? It would seem to me that CCTV footage makes it basically impossible for the cops to lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Anybody can film or photograph me outside of my own house so I don't find the idea of CCTV camera's that scary.

Is there much evidence that these systems help with convictions though? The whole of the UK is carpeted with them but the amount of anti social behavour still seems to be quite high there in many cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I'm all for anything which has some effect (even if deterrent only) on violence and anti-social behaviour in Ennis. If it helps lock up a few of the scumbags on the streets, it's a bonus...

• Advertisement

I'm all for anything which has some effect (even if deterrent only) on violence and anti-social behavior in Ennis. If it helps lock up a few of the scumbags on the streets, it's a bonus...
    When all the scumbags are locked up, will they still keep the cams on 24/7?

Now that policing matters will be handed over to Brussels God knows who will be monitoring them in the near future. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

When all the scumbags are locked up,

Yeah like thats really ever going to happen we have more scumbags than jail cells.
    Also these cameras arent invincible, see moyross in limerick when they used a jeep to bring down the CCTV poles and destroyed the cameras.

Anyway if you've nothing to hide whats the problem, and its only in the town centre not exactly looking in the window of your living room.
    Also every bar and shop have them these days but theyre only looked at when needed after a crime etc.

Personally I think the CCTV system is a great help to the guards trying to keep the peace after the queens empties out on a saturday night. Also when investigating a missing person, rape or mysterious death or even a bank robbery in town.
    The pros for me outweigh the privacy debate

fergusman wrote: »
    Yeah like thats really ever going to happen we have more scumbags than jail cells.
    Also these cameras arent invincible, see moyross in limerick when they used a jeep to bring down the CCTV poles and destroyed the cameras.
    Thats because the were foolish enough to instal them on exposed slimline free standing poles. The CCTV sstem in Moyross is not a patch on the latest Ennis system. Some of the newer poles around Dublin and town would write off anything that hit them. BTW cops can request footage of any commercial CCTV system if they "suspect" crime.

In the UK they are even requesting live access to CCTV networks in off license, bars and nightclubs before a license is renewed. Much the same here is inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Actually, in the UK some cameras now have a loudspeaker system, whereby you can directly address the subject of your surveillance.
    Like "You there! The guy in the green jacket! Pick up that cigarette butt and place it in the bin!"
    That would be SO hilarious, I'd pee myself if I ever saw that in action in Ennis.
    Except there'd be no one watching it, because (insert convenient excuse, i.e. no one's trained on it, they're all on lunch, no one wants to do overtime today or just plain, old can't be ar*ed)
    The only law that's being enforced in Ireland is the smoking ban and as long as tax and insurance is good on your car you can do pretty much what you like, cause no one cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,047 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That
    crowd in brussels probably already know what you had for breakfast this morning.

A much used quote by most secret police goons all over the unfree world.
    So tell us...would you have any objection then to the Gardai,Revenue,Social services,child protection agencies,and a few NGBs and proably your parish priest,pitching up at 30clock in the AM on your door.Entering your private residence,going thru all your papers,digging thru your sock drawer,and closets questionig your family about your personal life and busisness without you or legal council present,or telling you what they are looking for,and then leave without aword of explanation..All 100% legally??If you say as any sane person of course I would object... But why ,you have done nothing wrong ,you have nothing to hide!!:)
    Yeah! Theve been 1000% efective in the Uk and everywhere else in stopping crime!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..Trouble is;somone has to be [1] looking at the damn screen to do somthing about it.[2]be intrested enough in doing somthing [3] hoping there is a unit in the immediate area to respond
    And which dopey criminal isint going to be going out these days without a hoodie or ski mask and gloves?Not to mind CCTV can be now defeated by electronic means that anyone with some cop can put together from bits found in Maplins...It is a placebo to the sheeple to belive that big brother is doing somthing to lok after them,but is stealing your privacy bit by bit.
    CCTV a placebo to the sheep

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Speaking on CCTV a new world wide "game" is to be launched on the internet in the coming months where thousands of normally unmanned CCTV networks are hooked up on line and are available to members of the public snoop out criminals.

Retail outlets and eventually it is hoped town councils and police will pay a £20 a week fee per CCTV which in turn is paid out in spot prises of up to £1000 every time an arrest is made. False or nuisance cases will deduct points from your account.

The first 10,000 people to sign up will receive a point towards the league tables.

Where is EU legislation to protect us from such public invasion of privacy?
    Answer: It will never exist because they don't give a damn about civil liberties themselves. :rolleyes:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6862398.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Quoting the Torygraph and the Daily Fail makes me instinctively want to disagree with you.

Ennis has good reason for having the CCTV overdose. I've been out there a few times, it's mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 chucky82

to be honest this is just another waste of money in this town.... look at the back of aib they spent 6 months building a wall.... the cameras are there for our safety... my arse... if the gardai in this town were around at night there wudnt be so much crime. Instead there hiding in there station sitting on there asses and then when u ring if there is a prob even at the queens it takes them half hr or more to show up. This town doesnt need more cameras it needs better honest gardai:confused:

chucky82 wrote: »
    to be honest this is just another waste of money in this town.... look at the back of aib they spent 6 months building a wall.... the cameras are there for our safety... my arse... if the gardai in this town were around at night there wudnt be so much crime. Instead there hiding in there station sitting on there asses and then when u ring if there is a prob even at the queens it takes them half hr or more to show up. This town doesnt need more cameras it needs better honest gardai:confused:
    If I were the Gardai I would be up in arms about these cameras. Eventually there will be less out on the beat as CCTV will take much from their normal duties thos leading to early redundancies and less recruitment. Monitoring could be subbed out to contractors if not already thus privatizing the work, As mentioned in previous posts surveillance work will inevitably be carried out by outside sources.

Advertisement