Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing Posts

Options
  • 24-09-2009 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all

We have recently done our fence and we now need to cut the tops of some of the posts.
    I was just wondering what was the best way to go about this, i was going to make up a jig that would slide over the top of the post and rest on the rail so i could then cut the post at the desired angle.
    if this does work what would be the best way to cut the posts, electric saw? hand saw and if so which type of saw?

Any ideas are much appreciated

Regards

NB06

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

newbuild06 wrote: »
    Hi all

We have recently done our fence and we now need to cut the tops of some of the posts.
    I was just wondering what was the best way to go about this, i was going to make up a jig that would slide over the top of the post and rest on the rail so i could then cut the post at the desired angle.
    if this does work what would be the best way to cut the posts, electric saw? hand saw and if so which type of saw?

Any ideas are much appreciated

Regards

NB06
    Personally I would use a chainsaw and cut them at an angle before I apply tar to them to stop the water entering the endgrain.
    You may be more comfortable with a handsaw or perhaps a bowsaw.
    It depends on how many you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if you could get a circular saw with an adjustable base plate. you can set the angle you want and will give you a uniform cut on each post.

you could use a hand saw with a mitre block which could give you same effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If the fence post is of slim width then you could mark a line along the fence were you wish to cut and use a jig which can be twisted at an angle as I did .Just make sure you use the right type blade and it's tight in the jigsaw .

Advertisement