Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of Grass / Silage

• 24-09-2009 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

A neighbour of mine took a field of grass for bales there last week. It was old pasture, but good enough stuff, heavy cut.

He cut, baled & wrapped it himself.

Just be interested in hearing in your view(s) on what a fair price is, for both buyer and seller. I guess a price per bale is the fairest?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

how about €100 per acre? that what twas going my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

ravima wrote: »
    how about €100 per acre? that what twas going my way.

I agree with this price. I paid €10 per bale for meadow earlier this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

reilig wrote: »
    I agree with this price. I paid €10 per bale for meadow earlier this summer.

Thanks for responses - much appreciated.

10E per bale seems expensive tho - wouldn't this work out to be more than 100E per acre. I guess what am saying is 10 bales per acre seems low?

We haven't cut round bales in a long time though, so maybe 10 fusion bales per acre, which are apparently bigger / heavier than the standard bale?

10E per bale seems expensive tho - wouldn't this work out to be more than 100E per acre. I guess what am saying is 10 bales per acre seems low?

We haven't cut round bales in a long time though, so maybe 10 fusion bales per acre, which are apparently bigger / heavier than the standard bale?

To be honest, the meadow that I bought was fairly heavy (well it was heavy to me) and after tedding and wilting it for 3 days, I ended up with about 8 to 9 bales per acre. They weren't baled with a fusion baler, but would be the same size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I think 10 is a bit pricey, it is September after all so it won't be like prime first cut no matter how decent the weather is.

My brother bought a few acres and paid 7.50 per bale (welger baler, very solid bales) last week, i think thats a fair price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

reilig wrote: »
    To be honest, the meadow that I bought was fairly heavy (well it was heavy to me) and after tedding and wilting it for 3 days, I ended up with about 8 to 9 bales per acre. They weren't baled with a fusion baler, but would be the same size.

thats a very good yield considering you tedded it and wilted it for three days , tedding can easily reduce the number of bales per acre by three

irish_bob wrote: »
    thats a very good yield considering you tedded it and wilted it for three days , tedding can easily reduce the number of bales per acre by three

Thought it was fairly good myself. In fairness, I took 2 cuts off it last year and 2 cuts off it this year and the owner would take no money from me for the second cut bales. I spread slurry on it and the owner bought the fertilizer which I shook on it. (Putting slurry on it is convenient for me in the middle of the winter when the tank starts to overflow cause its just about the driest field in the parish :) ) Its cheap and good quality silage for me - especially this year.

Advertisement