Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbikes parked in bicycle shed at Heuston.

• 24-09-2009 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice a lot more motorbikes parked at heuston station bicycle shed these days? I noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but over the last few weeks there are a lot more. There were 5 motorbikes\scooters there this morning.

It wouldn’t be such a problem, but the drivers have started parking them under the rain shed so they don’t get wet. I’m often stuck without cover for my bike, and the thing rust like crazy. I had to buy a new rust proof lock last week, as the last one stopped working after a couple of weeks cause of the rust. It’s hard enough looking for space under the shelter without 2 scooters taking up 4 spaces.

That bicycle shed is very useful for commuters not working close to Heuston Station(%90ish of commuters).
    I hope they don’t ignore this issue, and let it just become free parking for motor bikes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a sign saying bicycles only? You could bring it up with the information desk in the station perhaps, be proactive before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Yea, I was looking for a sign like that this morning. But there were only bicycles left at your own risk signs. Ill have a look for a sign this evening and phone in a complaint. That front desk is about as helpfull as a glass hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Presumably there are bike stands in the shed, but why do you think that it should be used for bikes only?

Do motorbikes not get wet and rust too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Are you trying to feed the clampers?

trad wrote: »
    Are you trying to feed the clampers?

Fair enough, but no, Im only trying to keep motorbikes out of bicycle sheds

• Advertisement

oxygen wrote: »
    Fair enough, but no, Im only trying to keep motorbikes out of bicycle sheds

But why?

They are sheds which accomodate bikes, but can take motorbikes too. If you're not there on time to get a space, why penalise those who are?

Would it not make more sense to look for more sheds rather than trying to keep the existing ones just for bikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In the bikes sheds the spaces are so close that if you put a motor bike in there you'll need two bike spaces.
    First come, first served I guess.

Could someone suggest to IE that there is demand for a motorcycle shed and that if there was one it would be used by motorcyclists. That would keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I think fair's fair as a lot of designated motorcycle parking has been replaced by these new rent-a-bikes.

Could someone suggest to IE that there is demand for a motorcycle shed and that if there was one it would be used by motorcyclists. That would keep everyone happy.

Actually, everyone probably wouldn't be happy, because you can bet that cyclists would use the motorcycle shed as well :D

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    Actually, everyone probably wouldn't be happy, because you can bet that cyclists would use the motorcycle shed as well :D

No we wouldn't. Were a decent sort like that. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anyone notice a lot more motorbikes parked at heuston station bicycle shed these days? I noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but over the last few weeks there are a lot more. There were 5 motorbikes\scooters there this morning.

It wouldn’t be such a problem, but the drivers have started parking them under the rain shed so they don’t get wet. I’m often stuck without cover for my bike, and the thing rust like crazy. I had to buy a new rust proof lock last week, as the last one stopped working after a couple of weeks cause of the rust. It’s hard enough looking for space under the shelter without 2 scooters taking up 4 spaces.

That bicycle shed is very useful for commuters not working close to Heuston Station(%90ish of commuters).
    I hope they don’t ignore this issue, and let it just become free parking for motor bikes.

Learn to oil.

Oxygen,

If I were you I'd be bringing back that Lock that rusted back to the shop that sold you it. It surely can't be considered fit for purpose if a bit of rain gets to it, and as locks ain't cheap, I'd be looking for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I.

Im a bit confused...the bike shed at Heuston is presumably there to cater for passengers cycling to Heuston and catching the train to whereever. I get the impression its being used by persons working in Dublin who havent used the train at all. Or are you saying that people are parking their bikes there overnight and going home by train and then returning in the morning and cycling from there to work?(which would be OK but a bit risky perhaps)

corktina wrote: »
    Im a bit confused...the bike shed at Heuston is presumably there to cater for passengers cycling to Heuston and catching the train to whereever. I get the impression its being used by persons working in Dublin who havent used the train at all. Or are you saying that people are parking their bikes there overnight and going home by train and then returning in the morning and cycling from there to work?(which would be OK but a bit risky perhaps)

Ah yea, Im saying people park there bikes there overnight. Thats what I do, and alot of other people on my train. I work about 15 minutes cycle from heuston. The shed is locked at night for security. On IE's behalf, it really is a half decent service their providing for commuters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Ah yea, Im saying people park there bikes there overnight. Thats what I do, and alot of other people on my train. I work about 15 minutes cycle from heuston. The shed is locked at night for security. On IE's behalf, it really is a half decent service their providing for commuters.

fair enough, that really is a good service...well done IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My logbook states that my motorbike is a "Bicycle" so I should be quite entitled to place it in the bicycle shed at heuston. :pac:

Also JC Decaux Bicycles have taken over the official motorcycle parking spot on Prince so its fight back time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Cill25

I parked my scooter there yesterday and took train to Galway, got back this afternoon and didn't have key, think I might have left it in ignition, not very clever! Just on slim chance anyone saw it, took for safe keeping .....
    Anyone know anything about getting new scooter key, I have no spare :confused:

You could try the information desk at Heuston to see if anyone handed in your key or some member of staff found it. There is a scooter shop on Ushers Island about 5 minutes walk form Heuston in the south quays, they should br able to help you.

You could try the information desk at Heuston to see if anyone handed in your key or some member of staff found it. There is a scooter shop on Ushers Island about 5 minutes walk form Heuston in the south quays, they should be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

This is like a PFJ JPF meeting :)
    How about asking for more rack space to accomodate everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I dunno if this is a big problem. I've been using that shed for over 5 years and I could honestly count on the fingers of one hand the times I failed to get a spot undercover. I never arrive before 6 and have found spots up until after 10pm. A bigger problem is probably the abandoned bikes. IE clear these out from time to time, but not for some time now as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Cill25

You could try the information desk at Heuston to see if anyone handed in your key or some member of staff found it. There is a scooter shop on Ushers Island about 5 minutes walk form Heuston in the south quays, they should br able to help you.

Thanks Trad, I asked at info desk but no joy, Ushers Island is good advice, cheers,

Advertisement