Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Pre - October 16th (Merged Threads)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

It's up on o2.ie ... Anyone know anything about prices? I am tempted. But no opera mini...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

information here -> http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Palm+Pre/#tab-features

Here is the pricing, tariffs look the same as the iphone :(

24sep09_ireeng.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Engadget have the pricing. 18 month contracts - they can go and feck off.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/24/palm-pre-coming-to-the-uk-october-16-o2-exclusive/#continued

edit. Beaten to it by Dubmick. I wonder is there a revenue sharing agreement with Palm like Apple. Was looking forward to this phone, but I've been put off by Palm's legal threats to those distributing unlocked pres and now this joke of a price plan cements that. Palm don't have the luxury of demanding an Apple premium, the company needs the Pre to be a huge success; they're just shooting themselves in the foot.

interesting to see what price they are on ready to go

Edit: €419

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/24/palm-pre-coming-to-the-uk-october-16-o2-exclusive/#continued

edit. Beaten to it by Dubmick. I wonder is there a revenue sharing agreement with Palm like Apple. Was looking forward to this phone, but I've been put off by Palm's legal threats to those distributing unlocked pres and now this joke of a price plan cements that. Palm don't have the luxury of demanding an Apple premium, the company needs the Pre to be a huge success; they're just shooting themselves in the foot.

totally agree with you. Madness not having cheaper tariffs. Fairly pissed off about the tariffs as I also was waiting for the palm pre. I might just go for an iphone now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

similar situation alright.
    want a smart phone and was hoping the Pre would be cheaper than the iphone.

Now that the pre is the same cost - might start looking at the HTC range.

k

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

would have to agree that this is the wrong step for Palm as they have have pretty much priced them selves out of the market with this one and as they were hoping this would rejuvenate their fortunes it may be a mistake they call ill afford to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

To be fair, O2 set the pricing, not Palm. I do think O2 are stupid to stick the Pre on the same price plan as the iPhone. Why not just allow it to be used with their normal price plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

Aye O2 might have set the price plans but they were always going to put it on the same plan as the iPhone.

It makes no sense for Palm to have given the exclusive contract to the same carrier as the iPhone. O2 have no incentive to push the Pre and have no reason to heavily market it.

Really think Palm have shot themselves in the foot here, seems a shame as they got the device right just seemed to have messed up the release strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

It is getting closer to the date for release so I thought I would resurrect this thread.

There is still no date on the O2 website for launch, has anyone spoken to a member of staff in an O2 shop?

Also, I am due an upgrade, if I upgrade to the Pre, will I have to go on the silly price plan? I am on the business plan of €100+VAT for unlimited calls........Really could not go on one of the plans they have set out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It is getting closer to the date for release so I thought I would resurrect this thread.

There is still no date on the O2 website for launch, has anyone spoken to a member of staff in an O2 shop?

Also, I am due an upgrade, if I upgrade to the Pre, will I have to go on the silly price plan? I am on the business plan of €100+VAT for unlimited calls........Really could not go on one of the plans they have set out...

It's the 16th. Just go to talk to o2 and you'll see plenty of confirmation. I thought the iPhone price would kill this phone, but i'm surprised by the lack of interest even on here.

Release date is the 16th; it's on Palm's Irish site.

The plans on the O2 website are the non-business plans. You can use the Pre with their O2 Release and O2 Release Edge business plans apparently. See here: http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=76236&postcount=70 and here:http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=75201&postcount=1
    O2 wrote:
    Palm Pre for Business
    Palm Pre running Palm webOS is a powerful business device, offering Palm Synergy features, multitasking capabilities, a full sliding keyboard, touch screen, robust messaging, GPS, and compatibility with 3G and secure Wi-Fi networks.

For business customers, Palm Pre will be available on O2’s current range of business price plans. The device will be priced at €199 on the O2 Release Edge price plan, €99 on the O2 Release Multi price plan and €99 on the O2 Flexi-Share price plan. It will be free on the O2 Release price plan.

mobius42 wrote: »
    Release date is the 16th; it's on Palm's Irish site.

The plans on the O2 website are the non-business plans. You can use the Pre with their O2 Release and O2 Release Edge business plans apparently. See here: http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=76236&postcount=70 and here:http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=75201&postcount=1

It will be interesting to see if I have to explain all this to the staff in my local O2 store. I will report back tomorrow and let you know how I got on.....

I would not hold my breath as to them even havign the phone in stock.....

After getting 2 faulty N97s and a fw-retarded Jet from Voda all within 2 weeks, I'm actually considering getting a Pre, but LoL - was in C'bar's O2 shop earlier to check if they're getting any 2moro... They have this gigantic Pre-poster inside. It says "Coming Oct 16". When I asked, the 2 staff had no idea what the Pre is, or when it's coming... When I pointed at the poster they couldn't be ar*ed to react either. Then I dared to ask if they could fill me in on Prices, tariffs etc... 'nah...no idea'! They are really hyping it! ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The sharing model between Apple and the Networks was kicked to touch long ago, just before the 3G was launched, AFAIR.

strecker wrote: »
    After getting 2 faulty N97s and a fw-retarded Jet from Voda all within 2 weeks, I'm actually considering getting a Pre, but LoL - was in C'bar's O2 shop earlier to check if they're getting any 2moro... They have this gigantic Pre-poster inside. It says "Coming Oct 16". When I asked, the 2 staff had no idea what the Pre is, or when it's coming... When I pointed at the poster they couldn't be ar*ed to react either. Then I dared to ask if they could fill me in on Prices, tariffs etc... 'nah...no idea'! They are really hyping it! ;)

Funny that, after posting my last point about my local O2 store not knowing, I gave the Castlebar store a call and was told they were getting them in today, this afternoon, and it would be on sale tomorrow, must have been the one that put the poster up....

I also asked him about the phone being on Release and he was unsure. I told him I would be in tomorrow to upgrade and expect a cup of tea.

Funny that, after posting my last point about my local O2 store not knowing, I gave the Castlebar store a call and was told they were getting them in today, this afternoon, and it would be on sale tomorrow, must have been the one that put the poster up....

I also asked him about the phone being on Release and he was unsure. I told him I would be in tomorrow to upgrade and expect a cup of tea.

I'll bring the scones :lol;

strecker wrote: »
    I'll bring the scones :lol;

Well, well, well, what a pretty picture we have painted here.....

Just home from the hole that is Castlebar, rang them to confirm they had Pre's in stock, they had/have 3 of them.

Anyway I went in, and was told, on my Gold upgrade, wait for this, it would cost me €299 for the phone.......Yes €299 for a phone on upgrade to a monthly contract of around €140, jokers.

I of course pointed out that this information was nothing like the infor on line,

Existing O2 Pay Monthly Customers will be able to upgrade to the new Palm Pre provided that your account is up to date and you are eligible for an upgrade. The following prices apply depending on your upgrade eligibility level:

Upgrade Level Palm Pre Price
    Silver €49
    Gold Free
    Platinum Free
    Diamond Free
    Get your upgrade in an O2 store

Please check if you are eligible for an upgrade, then visit any of our O2 Stores to get your upgrade when Palm Pre is available.

* Check your eligibility
    * O2 Store locator

When checking eligibility on line it tells me I am on a gold upgrade......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Got your PM Godskitchen

Give me a few minutes while I look into it. I can guarantee though it is not €299.

Got your PM Godskitchen

Give me a few minutes while I look into it. I can guarantee though it is not €299.

Just an update here, the issue has been resolved. I sopke to member of the customer service team, they sorted it pretty fast. It is FREE on GOLD and from what I can tell from talking on the phone and reading on line, it is €49 to upgrade otherwise.

In fairness to the staff in Castlebar, they did ring me as soon as they realised their mistake, left me a voice mail saying they were wrong and now have the correct pricing information.

I will be heading back into Castlebar later, fingers crossed I will come home with a Pre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Fair enough. I will stop calling them so :)

First impression of the Pre.

I have only been using it for a few hours, most of that time has been spent trying to convert my nokia nbu file for contacts, into something I can use to send to google and then sync. The Pre will not let you copy contacts from the sim, I ned to get 500 contacts on the phone and of course, like most people, all my google contacts are mail only......well I assume most users dont input all their contacts into google. Looks like I might have to.....

It looks like I can convert the file into a csv file and work from there, but I do not want to have to pay for software to do something that hould be universal, it is my information and I should be able to do with it as I wish.

Anyway, back to the phone itself, the build quality is not as good as the iphone, the sliding mechanism does not fill me with confidence. It is a bit plasticy to be honest.

Some people complain about the size of the keys on the keyboard, while small, having a tactile button is 100x better for me than just a screen, ala iphone.

It is fast, now I know it was only born this morning but it feel slightly more responsive when navigating through apps than my iphone does. The web browser, while beating most others with a big stick is not as slick as the iphones, it takes longer to load pages and feels less fluid. It does auto rotate faster than the iphone, which is nice for those of us who hat waiting .3 of a second.

No feed back to give on the battery as yet.

The Pre will not let you copy contacts from the sim.

Are you sure about that? If you go into the contacts app preferences, SIM is listed under the accounts. I don't have any contacts on my SIM, so when I tap it, it just says 0 contacts but it might do something for you. Have you tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Loads out to play with in the lower Grafton St. shop.

The keyboard, although very small, is more usable than I have heard.

Camera looked decent too.

Go git yourself some :)

long_b wrote: »
    Loads out to play with in the lower Grafton St. shop.

The keyboard, although very small, is more usable than I have heard.

Camera looked decent too.

Go git yourself some :)

The camera is much better than the one on the iPhone 3G. It takes pictures much faster and I can actually take pictures of text with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I just read the www.theregister.co.uk review, and based upon
    their assessment, I won't be buying this phone.

eview_phone_palm_pre/

mobius42 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? If you go into the contacts app preferences, SIM is listed under the accounts. I don't have any contacts on my SIM, so when I tap it, it just says 0 contacts but it might do something for you. Have you tried this?

It just tells you how many contacts you have in the sim, that's is. Nothing more can be done. I am open to correction if someone knows better.

T-Square wrote: »

eview_phone_palm_pre/

Sorry mate, didn't get past the first paragraph, where they tick off wm for 'various problems' and no app store... what's that Fox slogan again? Fair and balanced?

The register is not known for good phone reviews.

T-Square wrote: »

eview_phone_palm_pre/

Hahaha - so I did read on. "typing long emails is *exhausting*"????
    Seriously, you don't hear the bells ringing? They do not like it! But for no other reason than...well, who care. The review is oozing bias!!!

I'm not saying the Pre is topnotch... I'm not saying anything but this: a review like that is not helpful! I'd prefer they just let it rip - rather than 'pretend' to be objective.

• Advertisement

The Register are one of the worst tech sites on the Internet. If you want real reviews go to Engadget.

Advertisement