Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Pre - October 16th (Merged Threads)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I thought I post 2 links for all Pre-Newbies or those here considering a Pre:

a) How to install 'Homebrew' apps on the Pre
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

b) a review of the Pre that is very in-depth and serves also as a good how-to

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-review (note: that IS a review on precentral, so it certainly is biased, but the reviewer in most places makes clear where his 'bias' stems from, so no need to b*tch ;) - also, repeat: it is really one of the most detailled reviews I have ever read, and I have read a 'few)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

strecker wrote: »
    Hahaha - so I did read on. "typing long emails is *exhausting*"????
    Seriously, you don't hear the bells ringing? They do not like it! But for no other reason than...well, who care. The review is oozing bias!!!

I'm not saying the Pre is topnotch... I'm not saying anything but this: a review like that is not helpful! I'd prefer they just let it rip - rather than 'pretend' to be objective.

They did make the point that the Palm Pre, just released,
    doesn't complete with a 2.5 year old Apple iPhone design.

That is hard to argue with.

PS: I don't like the Apple either, it doesn't multitask, and the battery isn't user serviceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

Hey check this out looks pretty neat

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Palm%20Pre

May be a bit expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

How its a bargain alert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not specifically a Bargain Alert, is it Ferg?

Probably more suited to Mobiles & PDA's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Similiar threads merged. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Forgot to mention that O2 are having a promotion on the Pre at the moment. It's €49 on the lowest price plan (instead of €99) and free on the higher ones. The PAYG price is actually €380, despite the website saying it's €419. I was in an O2 shop when someone bought one on PAYG and she told the guy that the price was wrong.

mobius42 wrote: »
    The PAYG price is actually €380, despite the website saying it's €419. I was in an O2 shop when someone bought one on PAYG and she told the guy that the price was wrong.

Well, grand then... Shop in Castlebar told me 45 mins ago it's 419.00 !!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I bought mine today and the guy said €380 first then he said the computer has 2 prices and one says €420. He asked he manager and she said €420 I'm going to go back tomorrow though and ask could they check.

Has anyone found how to turn off data?? The option in there in the US version but not on the GSM Version.

It seems now that turning off data was added in a update. We should be getting webOS 1.3. with the US also in November. Skipping 1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

They told me yesterday morning that the PAYG Pre was €519........I told them they were crazy and wrong. Where they were.

I do not think it is any shops fault that the pricing is so wrong, or so inconsistent. Clearly O2 have not communicated the information quickly enough.

Having said that, I know if I worked in an O2 shop I would have all the information we the public have on pricing, our source for the information we are getting is the internet, be it here, the O2 site or the O2 forums.

I know when I worked in retail I made sure I knew more than anyone walking in off the street on any product, especially something on par to what is one of the biggest phone launches of the year.

I find it sad that I have to tell people getting paid to do a job, how to in effect do that job.

• Advertisement

They told me yesterday morning that the PAYG Pre was €519........I told them they were crazy and wrong. Where they were.

I do not think it is any shops fault that the pricing is so wrong, or so inconsistent. Clearly O2 have not communicated the information quickly enough.

Having said that, I know if I worked in an O2 shop I would have all the information we the public have on pricing, our source for the information we are getting is the internet, be it here, the O2 site or the O2 forums.

I know when I worked in retail I made sure I knew more than anyone walking in off the street on any product, especially something on par to what is one of the biggest phone launches of the year.

I find it sad that I have to tell people getting paid to do a job, how to in effect do that job.

I know, man.
    You're 100% right!

I used to work in a bookshop at one time - on any given Friday we might get 20-80 new titles. and you just 'know' what, by who and where in the shop they are... But I guess those days are over!? (and of course, the Castlebar-factor ;) )

I know, man.
    You're 100% right!

I used to work in a bookshop at one time - on any given Friday we might get 20-80 new titles. and you just 'know' what, by who and where in the shop they are... But I guess those days are over!? (and of course, the Castlebar-factor ;) )

The Castlebar factor, I was born in the town and spent my first 8 years there. Luckily for me my parents decided to move and of course I went with them. I hate even going through it to get to somewhere, a wave of depression comes over me.

I dont want to be too harsh on the staff members in the shop, who knows what crap they have to put up with from the customers, maybe they were once bright eyed and bushy tailed......maybe Castlebar got to them.

How are you finding the Pre? I am just looking on line for an extended battery, the battery is not great but at least it is user serviceable.

The Castlebar factor, I was born in the town and spent my first 8 years there. Luckily for me my parents decided to move and of course I went with them. I hate even going through it to get to somewhere, a wave of depression comes over me.

I dont want to be too harsh on the staff members in the shop, who knows what crap they have to put up with from the customers, maybe they were once bright eyed and bushy tailed......maybe Castlebar got to them.

How are you finding the Pre? I am just looking on line for an extended battery, the battery is not great but at least it is user serviceable.

Ahem... Weirdest thing: I haven't even unpacked it yet - haven't had the time, yet.(don't wanna f*ck up anything with a hasty set-up) As long as the battery's a bit better than the iphong's, I won't worry - I'm usually near a car charger or PC.
    As to the staff...I get your point, but by becoming totally anti-interested they are not making their job any more enjoyable. That first girl I asked on Fri morning came out from that tiny 'back office', said she had no ideal what the Pre is or when it was released. She then turned around and went back into the 'office'...just left me standing there. I wanted to spend 400+ euro... She must have had some great party back there...doh!

Ahem... Weirdest thing: I haven't even unpacked it yet - haven't had the time, yet.(don't wanna f*ck up anything with a hasty set-up) As long as the battery's a bit better than the iphong's, I won't worry - I'm usually near a car charger or PC.
    As to the staff...I get your point, but by becoming totally anti-interested they are not making their job any more enjoyable. That first girl I asked on Fri morning came out from that tiny 'back office', said she had no ideal what the Pre is or when it was released. She then turned around and went back into the 'office'...just left me standing there. I wanted to spend 400+ euro... She must have had some great party back there...doh!

The battery is not as good as the iphone, from my use over the last day. Still the extended battery, a 2800mAh one is getting good reviews. requires a bigger battery cover, which come with the battery, which of course increases the size of the Pre. It is however credited with aiding the "sturdiness" of the phone. I will be otdering one from the US shortly.

I still cant understand how they could not have known about the Pre launch? having to deal with crappy little Tacco Lite or some LG rubbish all day, you would think they would go out of their way to get info on the latest and greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi, my father picked up a Pre from O2 on a pay as you go basis. I cannot for the life of me get it to create a profile (its showing a 3G icon and its connected to the O2 network). Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Did you accept all the T's and C's

Hi, there was no terms and conditions option when the phone was booting up - there was simply a menu to create a profile or use an existing profile :confused: I'm not sure if my father did something prior to this.

Try this it is how to set up the pre for the first time:

Step 1: Activate the Palm Pre

Press and hold Power.
    Tap a language.
    Tap Confirm.
    Tap Next.
    Read Palms terms and conditions; Tap Accept.

Step 2: Create the Palm Pre Profile

Tap Create New Profile.
    Slide out the keyboard and give the phone to the customer.
    Have the customer enter their first and last name.
    Have the customer enter and confirm a password.
    Have the customer enter an email address.
    Have the customer tap Next.

Step 3: Sign up for Location Services

Tap Next.
    Read Googles terms and conditions; Tap Agree.
    Tap Enable Auto Locate.
    Tap Next and follow onscreen prompts until tutorials are complete.
    The account set up portion of the First Use process is complete

I might not be around for a while but I will come back to check to see how you got on so don't think I am ignoring you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Does anyone know if it's possible to unlock the palm pre?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if it's possible to unlock the palm pre?
    Not yet, I'm afraid. Someone is probably working on it. For now, if you want an unlocked Pre you'll have to buy one from Germany. German Pres have QWERTZ keyboards however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Thanks mobius

@Talk2O2: Daryll thanks for all your help much appreciated. Got it sorted in the end - turned out he was using his billpay sim instead of pay-as-you-go. All I can say is doooh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 megaman01

Hi all,

just have the Pre a week now and have to say, i'm delighted with my purpose. I used to have nokias n95, n96 and xda and this is so much better in usefriendlyness, need some sort of cover though because its covered in fingerprints, buts is sturdy and no scratches as in a iphone.
    one taught if any of u still like the iphone and want all the apps, get a cheap iPod Touch, it does all the iPhone does with out the phone part and none of the bills or contracts.

I'd recommend to anyone to pick up a pre as its only going to get better with new apps, updates etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mobius42 wrote: »
    Not yet, I'm afraid. Someone is probably working on it. For now, if you want an unlocked Pre you'll have to buy one from Germany. German Pres have QWERTZ keyboards however.

yes it is, an unmentionable place can do it :)

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes it is, an unmentionable place can do it :)

Really? I've heard nothing about unlocking, where did you see it? The only thing I know is that O2 UK SIM cards will work in Irish Pres.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HoldStady

Does anyone know how to:

1) synchronise with yahoo. Will not log onto my yahoo.ie account. Says "Unable to sign in" " The servers security certificate is invalid, or your date and time is set incorrectly."

Date and time are set. There is a manual account set up but not sure how to do this. Hotmail and facebook worked fine.

2) Get the GPS working. Says it only works in US. Is there an app for this.

Cheers

HoldStady wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to:

1) synchronise with yahoo. Will not log onto my yahoo.ie account. Says "Unable to sign in" " The servers security certificate is invalid, or your date and time is set incorrectly."

Date and time are set. There is a manual account set up but not sure how to do this. Hotmail and facebook worked fine.

2) Get the GPS working. Says it only works in US. Is there an app for this.

Cheers

1: You need to have a Yahoo Mail Plus account for the push IMAP setup. Instead, enter these settings manually:

Incoming Mail Server (POP3): pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    Use SSL, port: 995

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    Use SSL, port: 465, use authentication

Account Name/Username: <youraddress>@yahoo.ie
    Email address: <youraddress>@yahoo.ie
    Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password

2: Go into the location services app and make sure that GPS is turned on. When it is, just tap the blue button in the maps app and it'll show your location. It may take a while to get a lock depending on where you are. Sometimes you will see a message about Google Maps not being available in your country but just ignore that; it disappears once the GPS locks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HoldStady

Thanks Mobius.

Tried the yahoo settings a couple of times now and getting:

Unable to sign into account

Could not sign in to account

The mail server responded: error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.com

• Advertisement

HoldStady wrote: »
    Thanks Mobius.

Tried the yahoo settings a couple of times now and getting:

Unable to sign into account

Could not sign in to account

The mail server responded: error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.com

That's strange. I was able to sign into my Yahoo account.

Advertisement