Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Pre - October 16th (Merged Threads)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I have a yahoo.ie account that some email clients struggle with... On the other hand, my iPhone on vodafone had no problem setting up my yahoo.ie account, but hates my yahoo.co.uk account... Could be one of 'those' things?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I returned my pre today, didn't get a replacement.
    • The Clock can't keep time - Switch the phone off and the time is totally off. Makes this phone completely useless in so many functions. What's the point of a phone on which your can't rely on the simplest function? *this happens mostly when network time is set to off. This seems to be a software problem not hardware. It's widely reported on Pre forums.
    • Dead camera sensor pixels. When taken in a pic in a dark area my camera sensor has 3 dead pixels that show up as red dots. (This is not a screen issue)
    • Dead pixel on the middle of the screen
    • Interference on the speaker when making a call over 2G(Same noise that is found when [placing a phone next to a speaker.
    • Data charges on Pre Pay It's IMPOSSIBLE to use the phone on Pre Pay without getting charged for data it's completely out of the users control even. O2 should NOT have released this phone on Pre Pay until they were 1)willing to provide users with information on how to disable data (disabling through customer care is not a suitable solution in my opinion)
      2) Pre should have shipped with 1.2 WebOS which has a on/off option for data.
      3) O2 have no confirmed all data backup and Pre functions are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HoldStady

Hi

Got it at last:). Turned off " use authentication."

Any apps to recommend for this phone. I like it although it is getting panned around these parts and the battery doesn't seem to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

HoldStady wrote: »
    Hi

Got it at last:). Turned off " use authentication."

Any apps to recommend for this phone. I like it although it is getting panned around these parts and the battery doesn't seem to be great.

Tweed is the best Twitter app at the moment. Word Ace is a really addictive game. Flixster is a movie app that includes Irish cinema listings and trailers and will even add times to your calendar to remind you. Accuweather has loads of Irish weather data including radar images.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Anyone know if O2 are offering any unlimited internet usage plans for the Pre? I'm currently using a BlackBerry Pearl, need it for work and need to be always online. At €25 per month it's grand right now, but I don't know exactly what my data useage would be (quite high I would imagine), so I don't want to be crippled if I move to the Pre and have to pay per Mb.

Also, is it possible to have multiple email accounts active on the Pre? I may use fancy phones, but I don't necessarily understand what I'm doing :)

Thanks...

• Advertisement

dubmess wrote: »
    Anyone know if O2 are offering any unlimited internet usage plans for the Pre? I'm currently using a BlackBerry Pearl, need it for work and need to be always online. At €25 per month it's grand right now, but I don't know exactly what my data useage would be (quite high I would imagine), so I don't want to be crippled if I move to the Pre and have to pay per Mb.

Also, is it possible to have multiple email accounts active on the Pre? I may use fancy phones, but I don't necessarily understand what I'm doing :)

Thanks...

You get 1GB of data with the Pre and considering you're coming from a Pearl, I'd be amazed if you went over it. Average usage is 250MB per month.

Multiple email accounts are possible and there is even a unified inbox for all your accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Hey,<br />
    Got an upgrade and looking at a pre (for free) roughly cost me the same per month. Looking at few forums there's the expected bugs etc with it. Anyone had a few weeks with it and got any experiences? Few things that would concern me are the battery being REALLY bad, a buzzing on all calls using 2g and the not knowing when the 1.3 OS upgrade is coming to Europe.<br />
    <br />
    Mainly need a phone for emails and net (as well as calls obviously!) A blackberry would be over 200 on the upgrade and a iphone would be at least 50 so the free pre (love that line) is tempting. I like the look of them and the idea (as someone coming from a pretty dull nokia) but don't know anyone with one (unlike the iphone) and interested in what they're like to live with!<br />
    <br />
    Any tips welcome!<br />
    <br />
    Sp

Hey,<br />
    Got an upgrade and looking at a pre (for free) roughly cost me the same per month. Looking at few forums there's the expected bugs etc with it. Anyone had a few weeks with it and got any experiences? Few things that would concern me are the battery being REALLY bad, a buzzing on all calls using 2g and the not knowing when the 1.3 OS upgrade is coming to Europe.<br />
    <br />
    Mainly need a phone for emails and net (as well as calls obviously!) A blackberry would be over 200 on the upgrade and a iphone would be at least 50 so the free pre (love that line) is tempting. I like the look of them and the idea (as someone coming from a pretty dull nokia) but don't know anyone with one (unlike the iphone) and interested in what they're like to live with!<br />
    <br />
    Any tips welcome!<br />
    <br />
    Sp

Please see here http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=6979

The buzzing is a big issue, no fix, it affects every Pre. Return it and get another phone.

Hey,
    Got an upgrade and looking at a pre (for free) roughly cost me the same per month. Looking at few forums there's the expected bugs etc with it. Anyone had a few weeks with it and got any experiences? Few things that would concern me are the battery being REALLY bad, a buzzing on all calls using 2g and the not knowing when the 1.3 OS upgrade is coming to Europe.
    Mainly need a phone for emails and net (as well as calls obviously!) A blackberry would be over 200 on the upgrade and a iphone would be at least 50 so the free pre (love that line) is tempting. I like the look of them and the idea (as someone coming from a pretty dull nokia) but don't know anyone with one (unlike the iphone) and interested in what they're like to live with!
    Any tips welcome!
    Sp

The battery lasts me at least a day, though I've often got through the day and only used 50%. You will have to charge it daily and this might take some getting used to coming from a standard Nokia.

The buzzing noise on 2G isn't that big a deal; I can barely hear it when I'm on a call.

The lack of an update is annoying but hopefully this will be solved soon. It's expected to be released around the 15th of November. One handy thing is that updates are handled by the phone automatically; you don't need to connect the phone to a computer.

The main advantage of the phone is the multitasking and I really like the Google Talk integration (saves on text messages). You can use the phone as a flash drive which is very useful and the email client can also send attachments (unlike the iPhone which can only read them).

There aren't many apps out for it at the moment but the 1.3 update should go some way to fixing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Not sure I'm too pushed about apps (even though I know I'd find uses for them once I knew they were there). Multitasking, emailing functions would be useful but if I can't make a call on 2g...

Thanks for the 15th Nov-ish date too.

• Advertisement

but if I can't make a call on 2g...

You can make calls on 2G. The buzzing problem isn't so bad that you can't make a call. Calls work fine, it's just that if the person you're talking to is too quiet you can hear a slight buzzing noise.

I have the phone a couple of weeks and really like. I have the homebrew apps and there is a lot of options there and some of them are bit of fun.
    The battery is pretty poor and I find it a nuisance(mine does not last the day with even minor activity). Currently looking to buy an extended life one which negates the cost effectiveness. I have no problems with buzzing and have to say my calls are pretty clear.
    All in all its a good phone with a great look and good multitasking abilities.

Pros:
    Good multitasking - many apps at the same time.
    Merged e-mail inboxes.
    I find it user friendly.
    Homebrew apps are fun.

Cons
    Battery.
    Contacts are a bit cumbersome.

I really like the Google Talk integration (saves on text messages)

Mobius, Is there an app for this?

HoldStady wrote: »
    Mobius, Is there an app for this?

You don't need an app, it's integrated into the operating system. Go into the Messaging app, select preferences & accounts from the menu and add a Google Talk account. You can use AIM or Google Talk; Yahoo Chat is coming in the next update.

mobius42 wrote: »
    You can make calls on 2G. The buzzing problem isn't so bad that you can't make a call. Calls work fine, it's just that if the person you're talking to is too quiet you can hear a slight buzzing noise.

It's a bit more than slight on the two Pre's I have and I can hear it no matter how loud the other person is. It's doesn't put a stop to 2G calls but it's sure as hell annoying!

Will MSN be included in this update

center15 wrote: »
    It's a bit more than slight on the two Pre's I have and I can hear it no matter how loud the other person is. It's doesn't put a stop to 2G calls but it's sure as hell annoying!

It must vary from phone to phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Anyone know when O2 will release the 1.2.1 update? I have an O2 Pre but I am using it on Vodafone. I'll switch back to my O2 SIM to get the update.

Cheers,
    LD

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Anyone know when O2 will release the 1.2.1 update? I have an O2 Pre but I am using it on Vodafone. I'll switch back to my O2 SIM to get the update.

Cheers,
    LD

It's not up to O2 when the updates are released; Palm decides that. It's likely to be released around the 15th, which is when Palm are releasing a new phone in the US.

It's not up to O2 when the updates are released; Palm decides that. It's likely to be released around the 15th, which is when Palm are releasing a new phone in the US.

Well, it is actually, because 1.2.1 has been available to US users for quite some time. It is up to the operator to decide when they push it out.

There have been suggestions from other O2 European territories that it might skip 1.2 altogether and go straight to 1.3, which is due out later this month.

LD

• Advertisement

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Well, it is actually, because 1.2.1 has been available to US users for quite some time. It is up to the operator to decide when they push it out.

No, it's not. For some reason, Palm have decided to have two different firmwares for GSM and CDMA, though this is expected to change when the next update is released.

See here:http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=6697
    Daryll wrote:
    Palm will be releasing their own updates (like the iPhone) which will occur over the air(not like the iPhone). There is no intervention from O2 at any stage.

Just saw this:
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-13-hit-gsm-pre-phones-end-month

Looks like O2 won't be controlling this. Had been told otherwsie by an O2 person.

Cool.
    LD

Is there any news when paid apps will be available or is it available in Europe. I know the classic is not available when searching app catalogue

There's an update being released tonight, version 1.3.1. This will allow access to the paid apps. See below.

I was on the Sprint Web OS and have update 1.3.1 since middle of month. I checked on TALK2O2 today and paid apps are still not available from app catalogue or web with the new updates released in Ireland.
    I have the homebrew apps but would like to have access to the wider range.
    I have to delete apps to get more in. Is there a way of increasing the amount of apps this phone can hold. I have world factbook which is very large though for an app.
    Also I cannot log into Yahoo IM. Have you had any luck with this Mobius.

While the 1.3.1 update was released as expected, it did not provide access to paid apps in the app catalog. In the US, 1.3.1 enabled access to paid apps, so I assumed that the GSM version would be the same. Also, Yahoo IM seems to be missing from the GSM version as well, despite it being present in the CDMA version.

This varying of features according to region is incredibly irritating and is something I'd hoped Palm would get rid of with 1.3.1.

This varying of features according to region is incredibly irritating

Have to agree. I do not know how many times I have tried Yahoo IM in the vain hope it would work. Even got onto a forum and tried all sorts. Was really looking forward to having Yahoo IM as it means I can text people in China which I cannot do through O2 SMS services.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Hi All, the 1.4.0 webOS updated last night on my Pre. Now it tells me I have a new gmail, but cannot see the mails in my account. Anyone know how I fix this ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Will a Palm Pre on O2 billpay, work with a O2 prepay SIM?

Specifically the Internet

• Advertisement
Advertisement