Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blaming the roads

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The state of the roads are giving people the excuse to blame them. Most regional roads in this country are a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A sign that says 'Danger!" should sort out the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

PCPhoto wrote: »
    When will people admit they are bad drivers ..... always blaming the roads...heaven forbid that IF we ever upgrade all the roads who will get the blame for these types of crashes.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lucky-escape-for-brothers-at-play-1894933.html
    Originally Posted by independent.ie
    She also revealed how it's the third crash on the same stretch of road in the past 12 months.

I guess she was just unlucky enough to have three bad drivers on the same stretch of road :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The Fuhrer dissaproves of drivers before road quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

The Roads are fine .

Its just bad driving pothole.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The majority of roads in this country are an absolute disgrace. They are riddled with pot-holes and are causing damage to the cars that use them. If anyone here has ever driven down Blackhorse avenue in dublin they'll know what im talking about. And when the council tries to fix the roads they do a half-arsed job and the roads end up looking like a patchwork quilt, and end up back the same again. In most other countries when they fix roads they do it properly but over here we seem to like doing and re-doing roads to a poor standard.

/RANT ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

When will people admit they are bad drivers ..... always blaming the roads...heaven forbid that IF we ever upgrade all the roads who will get the blame for these types of crashes.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lucky-escape-for-brothers-at-play-1894933.html

Get in your car (presuming you can drive (if not I don't really think you can comment on accidents/bad roads)) and head down to, um, random county? Kilkenny. Possibly the worst roads in the country.

Seriously, if you can't figure out the correlation between our fukkin awful roads and road deaths there's something wrong with you. Look at the article you quoted ffs, 3 crashes on a narrow road with her garden alongside it? C'mon man, apply a little intelligence here.

Smart Bug wrote: »
    head down to, um, random county? Kilkenny. Possibly the worst roads in the country.

Thats amazing, you picking a random country and it just happens to have the worst roads in the country.

I was going to argue with you on this but you've obviously done your research.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Thats amazing, you picking a random country and it just happens to have the worst roads in the country.

I was going to argue with you on this but you've obviously done your research.

Oh, you're a smart on ain't ye? :rolleyes:

In fact, I said possibly. But it doesn't really matter what county you pick outside of the pale, all their primary/secondary roads are a fukkin mess. So unless you mandate that people drive around at about 20kmph you're going to have accidents on these roads. One slip, one lapse of concentration and you're over the fukkin ditch.

Oh, you're a smart on ain't ye? :rolleyes:

In fact, I said possibly. But it doesn't really matter what county you pick outside of the pale, all their primary/secondary roads are a fukkin mess. So unless you mandate that people drive around at about 20kmph you're going to have accidents on these roads. One slip, one lapse of concentration and you're over the fukkin ditch.

One slip or lapse of concentration on the best motorway funded and maintaned motorway can result in instant death and a massive accident. What point are you making? Other than driving being inherently dangerous and requires at least a sufficent level of competence and concentration to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Dean09 wrote: »
    The majority of roads in this country are an absolute disgrace. They are riddled with pot-holes and are causing damage to the cars that use them. If anyone here has ever driven down Blackhorse avenue in dublin they'll know what im talking about. And when the council tries to fix the roads they do a half-arsed job and the roads end up looking like a patchwork quilt, and end up back the same again. In most other countries when they fix roads they do it properly but over here we seem to like doing and re-doing roads to a poor standard.

/RANT ;)

Phone the DCC pothole repair people on 01 837 1595. I've rang up over potholes before and they do fix most of them no matter how many times they do a shabby job of them!

One slip or lapse of concentration on the best motorway funded and maintaned motorway can result in instant death and a massive accident. What point are you making? Other than driving being inherently dangerous and requires at least a sufficent level of competence and concentration to do?

You know exactly the point I'm making, stop trying to obfuscate my posts. Bad roads contribute to accidents. Look up the stats (first link):

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/jul/19/longford-is-the-most-dangerous-for-road-fatalities/

Do you seriously think it's coincedental that the counties with the worst stats also have the highest proportion of rural settlements linked by poorly maintained primary and secondary roads?

You know exactly the point I'm making, stop trying to obfuscate my posts. Bad roads contribute to accidents. Look up the stats (first link):

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/jul/19/longford-is-the-most-dangerous-for-road-fatalities/

Do you seriously think it's coincedental that the counties with the worst stats also have the highest proportion of rural settlements linked by poorly maintained primary and secondary roads?

"There are two major factors; the low speed limits you have in urban areas and the amount of people using public transport."

Well, thanks for posting an article that disproves your own point. If only all arguments were this easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

I look at it this way.

I want to live and I would hate to cause serious injury to anyone else.

So as revolutionary as it seems, I drive to suit the conditions (including road conditions not just weather) and do not belive that the posted speed limit is the goal and I would and not always the best suggestion.

And if you think the roads are bad now,do you think the governemnt is going to magic up the money in the next few years?

Yes roads should be to an adequate standard,but it is not like you are dealing with a bunch of people (government) that want to make your life better in any way,so your best to look after yourself.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I look at it this way.

I want to live and I would hate to cause serious injury to anyone else.

So as revolutionary as it seems, I drive to suit the conditions (including road conditions not just weather) and do not belive that the posted speed limit is the goal and I would and not always the best suggestion.

And if you think the roads are bad now,do you think the governemnt is going to magic up the money in the next few years?

Yes roads should be to an adequate standard,but it is not like you are dealing with a bunch of people (government) that want to make your life better in any way,so your best to look after yourself.
    I drive to suit the conditions too, but it doesn't help when you're driving along to suit the conditions and then out of nowhere you hit a crater the size of the feckin road.

Its all well and good driving in the City East Wall Girl, you believe it or not have the best roads in the country where you are. You should see the state of some of the roads close to where I am, especially in Monaghan and Meath at the moment. You could be driving along at 80 kmph or 100kmph and then hit a huge pot hole out of nowhere which might cause a blow out and cause a major accident.

Maybe we should all drive at 20kmph or maybe we should all just walk eh?! Imagine driving from Dundalk to Sligo at that speed. You might have to stay in a hotel in Cavan town over night. Very acceptable indeed... :rolleyes:

Well, thanks for posting an article that disproves your own point. If only all arguments were this easy.

So what is your opinion? Road conditions have no correlation to accident rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

In my opinion, the bad roads in some parts of this country are not as big a factor in the cause of accidents as driver error is.

However, the condition of the roads is the cause of some crashes, and an exacerbating factor in others. Also, it costs drivers a lot as a result of damage and excessive wear-and-tear from driving on sub-standard surfaces.

So,while I hate it when drivers use this excuse as a cop out when they were clearly at fault, the problem of poorly-maintained roads in Ireland still needs to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think that it's a combination of driving standards and road conditions. Based on the time I spend driving I've come to the conclusion that the average driver on Irish roads is reasonably safe in good road conditions but that once road conditions dis-improve (hazards, weather, road conditions, etc) the standard degenerates rapidly and bad things start happening.

The only thing that will greatly reduce the accident rate is better driver training but that still doesn't mean it's reasonable to leave blind crests and hollows in roads that otherwise lead drivers to believe that they are of a reasonable standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I suggest the OP tries riding a motorcycle on Irish roads before commenting on the state of them, they are an absolute disgrace. On any given day I come across huge potholes, oil / diesel spills, patches of gravel on corners and roundabouts, smooth manhole covers on corners that are as slippy as ice when it rains, muck and sh1te left on the roads by farmers and loose chippings left by the council on resurfaced roads :mad:

So what is your opinion? Road conditions have no correlation to accident rates?

Why would I get involved personally when I can remain smugly aloof?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The driver is at fault in most crashes. But I find it amazing that a car has to pass so many little test to pass an NCT, but the county council are allowed to put loose chippings on a 2 mile stretch of bendy road.

Why would I get involved personally when I can remain smugly aloof?

You dirty smoof. :)

Quint wrote: »
    but the county council are allowed to put loose chippings on a 2 mile stretch of bendy road.

Or that a contractor is allowed to tear up a portion of the road and replace it with weaker tarmac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Or that a contractor is allowed to tear up a portion of the road and replace it with weaker tarmac

Or that other marvel of road repairing, where some gimp from the local council shovels tarmac into a pothole, then watches his pal in the truck drive backwards and forwards over it to flatten it. They then continue their journey to the next hole.

Meanwhile, there's been a sudden shower, and the tarmac in the first hole gets washed away.

They should have a face-palm road-sign.:eek:

You know I seen this about a month ago were I live .

There was one guy filling in a pothole while 5 others stood around him .
    one guy in the truck eating a sandwich .

Then the guy in the truck started the engine and rolled over the pothole .
    The other guy topped up the pothole and the truck driver rolled over it again.

All I could think is that was a really irish thing to do:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

BVB wrote: »

Stupid country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

How would you have done it then? I suppose you would have hired a whacker or motored steam roler to compact the stuff in the hole??? :rolleyes:

Fuhrer you are wrong, simple as.

How would you have done it then? I suppose you would have hired a whacker or motored steam roler to compact the stuff in the hole??? :rolleyes:

I would have filled in the pothole with tarmac while my mates watched and got tommy the truck driver to roll over it a few time . The more he eats for lunch the more compact the tarmac will be . But hey I am irish;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Get in your car (presuming you can drive (if not I don't really think you can comment on accidents/bad roads)) and head down to, um, random county? Kilkenny. Possibly the worst roads in the country.

Agreed. Do a quick spin from Dublin to Kilkenny tonight! Have a good ole look at the M7 and the M9 and the state of them at the moment. Then, once you make it through Athy, there are some fcuking terrible bends in the road, before you make it to Castlecomer. Try a few back roads around there. I'm surprised I'm still alive!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

• We all drive like tits ignoring large parts of the rule book and laws of common sense
    • The roads are at best poor though with bypasses this is improving.
    • Speed-limits are mostly only enforced on motorways and bypasses and entrances to villages.
    • Speed is an easy target so rather than educate drivers we use speed traps

Ogh and its always someone else's fault, young drivers, drink drivers, speeders, priests, hookers and nuns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

The Roads are fine .

Its just bad driving pothole.JPG

looking at the angle of the car .... the driver must have magically driven throuh the pole on the right ... or been dropped from a plane above..... Photoshop is not your friend. :D

No, im right.

Its increadibly simple to see why but simple seems to describe you rather than the point. So we could be here for some time.

looking at the angle of the car .... the driver must have magically driven throuh the pole on the right ... or been dropped from a plane above..... Photoshop is not your friend. :D

OR

car drives in hole . Woman opens door quick causing water to rush in one side of the car which would cause the car to turn on it way to its watery death .

OR
    the same as you said .

Seriously, if you can't figure out the correlation between our fukkin awful roads and road deaths there's something wrong with you. Look at the article you quoted ffs, 3 crashes on a narrow road with her garden alongside it? C'mon man, apply a little intelligence here.

I have driven on a lot of the roads in this country and in my experience I do believe its a combination of the roads AND TERRIBLE DRIVERS.

we dont teach how to actually drive in difficult situations in this country...or what to do if a tyre blows out, for feck sake we dont even test how to drive at night or on a motorway.

A LOT of the bad drivers in this country are people that were allowed to buy their licences in the 1980's and their spawn (most people learn from their parents instead of a qualified instructor)

I passed my test first time - several years ago.....I'm glad that the government are making changes to the driving test procedures but dont think its enough.

Every child should be taught basic first aid, car mechanics and have excellent knowledge of road signs/signals and observations on the road - look how many cyclists have been killed on the roads recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

we dont teach how to actually drive in difficult situations in this country...or what to do if a tyre blows out, for feck sake we dont even test how to drive at night or on a motorway.
    Forget blow outs, add a moderate rain shower and many drivers have trouble getting through my local shopping centre car park without doing something dangerous...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Theres a lot of idiots on Irish roads.... are standered of driving is pretty CRAP....

Living in meath go down any back road its imposible to enjoy a high spritted cut through countrys at night cuase the roads are just crap... pot holes where a smal car could get stuck in one...

Forget blow outs, add a moderate rain shower and many drivers have trouble getting through my local shopping centre car park without doing something dangerous...

exactly my point !

for the last couple of hours I was driving around (a friend needed some help - and I have a car :D) Anyway... the amount of illegal parking, bad driving and downright ignorance on the roads is unbelievable, Don't get me wrong I'm not a holier than thou .... I've been extremely ignorant on the roads at times and have parked illegally and will do so in the future - what I'm saying is that its so common place that its regarded as normal driving these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So the entire basis of your argument is on this article where we arent told anything about the road except that it has a repeat history of driver incidents, along with a group of residents who live on the road and deal with it often 2 to 3 times a day who all say the road is defunct, and you somehow feel that the conditions on the road have no bearing on the situation?

Im not saying drivers are blameless but if you think roads are blameless then you should go drive down a few of them sometime and have a good think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Then, once you make it through Athy, there are some fcuking terrible bends in the road, before you make it to Castlecomer. Try a few back roads around there. I'm surprised I'm still alive!!!

Is the problem bends, or potholes. Because it is bends then you drive slowly. i have taken that road and am not aware of potholes on it. It is a squirrely windy road. driving at the posted speed limit is dangerous is many cases on that road except for good drivers - but Irish people think that a road limit is a challenge, rather than a limit.

All country roads, across all countries, have bends. They follow old routeways. That road is being replaced ( or has been replaced already for all I know) by a motorway to Kilkenny.

For people who have to drive country roads. Dont drive them as if they were motorways, or dual carriageways, even if the speed limit is the same.

( It is true that some of these are N roads - which is absurd - but once the Motorways are finished we can end that absurdity).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

If you ride bikes you'll realise how bad the roads are...

And also roadworks here take forever to complete.
    I don't get it why it takes months to just lay down a new road!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I suggest the OP tries riding a motorcycle on Irish roads before commenting on the state of them, they are an absolute disgrace. On any given day I come across huge potholes, oil / diesel spills, patches of gravel on corners and roundabouts, smooth manhole covers on corners that are as slippy as ice when it rains, muck and sh1te left on the roads by farmers and loose chippings left by the council on resurfaced roads :mad:

I agree with you...

BUT, in the few hundred (more like thousand by now) miles that I have riden with you, I have heard you moan about the roads, but not once blame the road conditions for your bad riding. :eek:

I don't mean that you ride bad, I mean that when you make a mistake (which we all do every now and then), you don't blame the roads.

Advertisement