Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date for Tramore one way 6th Nov

Options
  • 24-09-2009 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

One-way system to ease Tramore’s traffic
    Friday, September 18th, 2009

A new one-way traffic system will come into operation in Tramore in November which will ease congestion, improve safety and provide accessible parking in the resort, a meeting of Waterford County Council heard this week.

Under the new traffic system the Main Street will be open to one-way traffic from the town centre from 6th November.

Tramore Area Engineer Jane O’Neill told Monday’s meeting of the local authority that the new system was put on public display, where it generated a high level of interest and 25 submissions.

Cllr Ann Marie Power (FG) said she was part of the working group involved in drawing up the scheme. A deficit in parking in the Main Street would be addressed by the plan, with traffic flowing more freely along the street and the town centre subsequently more accessible and vibrant. Businesses had asked their workers in Tramore to park near the church. She noted that there would be some confusion on the day the scheme came into operation and residents in Patrick Street were concerned that traffic would move from Main Street to their street.

Mayor of Tramore, Cllr Paddy O’Callaghan (Lab), said the new one-way system was not set in stone. If faults were found they would be dealt with within six months to a year.

Cllr Lola O’Sullivan (FG) said the new system would make driving through the resort easier for people coming to Tramore as well as residents.

The Council was told that it would be necessary to go for further public consultation in respect of the 1.5k long realignment of the Glen Road, Tramore, from Pickardstown to Monvoy. Initially 11 submissions were made to the Council by individuals and statutory bodies and three major modifications were proposed.

Director of Services Michael Quinn said given the scale of the changes involved it was decided to go back to public consultation. This would protect the Council if it was necessary to go to compulsory purchase order.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/one-way-system-to-ease-tramores-traffic/

I know this was discussed a good while back but seeing the actual date has been announced , it looks like the end result is not to make lives/driving easier it is only to turn the main st into a car park, IMO the Gardai should actually enforce the current regulations instead of legalising the "park anywhere idiots", I feel there should be no parking on Queen St , Main st , Strand st and hey presto problems gone, but it seems like the council are pandering to a few main st businesses (Chippers,solicitors, estate agents, etc) who's customers won't park and walk 200m as there is ample parking available in town,am interested to know other opinions and what advantages are actually there because it seems to actually create a more hazardous situation for pedestrians as vehicles would be more likely to speed up if there is no oncoming traffic and of course line of sight will be impaired on both sides by rows of parked cars , please no more speed bumps
    Maybe its me and I don't see the advantage if the whole idea is to clog the place up with parked cars instead of moving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

rasper wrote: »
    IMO the Gardai should actually enforce the current regulations instead of legalising the "park anywhere idiots",

There are no regulations.

In Tramore the Council paint yellow lines here and there to shut the Councillors up, but they tend not to put the bye-laws in place to regularise the situation.

The Gardai can't write legally enforcable tickets unless there are bye-laws.

Stan:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gardai have been issuing tickets for parking on yellow lines for years in Tramore - isnt that under the Road Traffic Act rather then a bye-law? I understand the tickets on the prom may not be legally enforcable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Sully wrote: »
    Gardai have been issuing tickets for parking on yellow lines for years in Tramore - isnt that under the Road Traffic Act rather then a bye-law? I understand the tickets on the prom may not be legally enforcable though.
    There may be some yellow lines that are covered by bye-laws, but most others are not.

The pedestrian crossings at Summerhill are a prime example.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/eu-elections/candidate-says-town-council-is-not-doing-its-job/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I thought that under the Road Traffic Act a car which is parked obstructing traffic could be fined, regardless of yellow lines or bye laws

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tonyoc_1

hopefully the one way system will improve things somewhat. Asking for them to get rid of the park sounds like too much. Look how long it's taken them to put this simple solution in place ! It's as bad a the re-surfacing fiasco on the main waterford-tramore road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Don't get me wrong I'm all for it if takes traffic from the town centre onto the ring road and makes the streets safer and more accomodating for residents and visitors alike, but the primary reason for its eventual happening seems to be is to make more parking available on main st, etc. This I think will be a mistake,on saying that I haven't seen the parking slots allocated but if they stick with the same amount then I'll be happy, I hope

Advertisement