Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone - Home phone and broadband.

• 24-09-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Has anyone switched over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

I transferred just last week, from 3MB BT to 3MB Vodafone, but I initiated the transfer myself since I didn't want to wait. Unfortunately my line now syncs at 2MB/256KB after the transfer, so I've been jumping through support hoops to get things back to the speeds they were before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Nuphor wrote: »
    Unfortunately my line now syncs at 2MB/256KB after the transfer, so I've been jumping through support hoops to get things back to the speeds they were before.

Ouch. I was thinking of changing from 7MB Eircom to 7MB Vodafone but that doesn't sound good.

Will you let us know how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Morgase wrote: »
    Ouch. I was thinking of changing from 7MB Eircom to 7MB Vodafone but that doesn't sound good.

Will you let us know how you get on?

Will do, hopefully I'll get a chance to call them today - email support is about as slow as you'd expect. They have a support forum where you can interact with staff, but for some bizarre reason you can't sign in/register without having a Vodafone mobile account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Went from Eircom to the 3mb Vodafone package, happy enough with it so far. Range on the Bewan wireless modem not fantastic but good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Went from Eircom to the 3mb Vodafone package, happy enough with it so far. Range on the Bewan wireless modem not fantastic but good enough.

What encryption does the Bewan router have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

switched from BT of my own doing, fine service so far and 4 times bigger limit and 3 times faster for 8 euro less a month, love it!
    I got the bewan but still use the netopia i got for a tenner from pc world deal 2 years ago with eircom branding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I switched over at the start of September, and my lines were recently shifted over (Monday or Tuesday). I was on 3mb and switched to vf's 7mb package. Tuesday night: 4Mb, Wednesday night:0.6 Mb. Thursday morning: 0.6Mb.

I only got the new router yesterday and haven't had a chance to play with it. The faster speed was recorded on my old router, so it may be a router configuration issue. Will plug in my old router this evening, and see if it makes a difference, but at the moment, my connection is approximately 1/6th of the original BT speed.

*Edit*: Yes, definitely a router issue, as I'm getting decent speeds on my old router.

573835271.png

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    What encryption does the Bewan router have?

WEP, WPA, WPA2-PSK

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I moved a couple of months ago from BT. Process seemed a bit slow but went ok.

Needless to say BT made a ballsup of my billing and continued to bill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Signed up Monday, modem arrived in the post Tuesday morning and line reconnected today.....that's quick service by any standards, just a wait now for BB to get activated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Topmanager

parsi wrote: »
    I moved a couple of months ago from BT. Process seemed a bit slow but went ok.

Needless to say BT made a ballsup of my billing and continued to bill me.

Is Bt and Vodafone not all one..
    Was in Vodafone the other day and hear the clerk say to a customer that you cannot leave bt and move to vodafone because they are all one..Is this true???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Any downtime during the process??

Vodafone are taking over BT's customers, partnership but not merging. You can move, just ring vodafone and ask to move quicker than the scheduled time which could be few months.

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Any downtime during the process??

Not with mine anyway, whole thing took less than 2 weeks from web application to having it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

TheDriver wrote: »
    Vodafone are taking over BT's customers, partnership but not merging. You can move, just ring vodafone and ask to move quicker than the scheduled time which could be few months.
    But my uinderstanding is the switch is just an accounts switch? Surely your actual broadband stays the same, they're just handing over the keys as such. I've just got my ping times down from 90/100 to the low 20's, will I have to go through all that again? How likely are Vodaphone to sort this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I switched over at the start of September, and my lines were recently shifted over (Monday or Tuesday). I was on 3mb and switched to vf's 7mb package. Tuesday night: 4Mb, Wednesday night:0.6 Mb. Thursday morning: 0.6Mb.

I only got the new router yesterday and haven't had a chance to play with it. The faster speed was recorded on my old router, so it may be a router configuration issue. Will plug in my old router this evening, and see if it makes a difference, but at the moment, my connection is approximately 1/6th of the original BT speed.

*Edit*: Yes, definitely a router issue, as I'm getting decent speeds on my old router.

573835271.png

100 ms ping :eek: I take it this is the 7mb package? Does anyone know what the contention ratio is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I think I may have been switched over, but have had no postal or email communication from Vodafone

(DSL light green on my modem this morning but Internet light remains stubbornly red!)

Do I need to reconfigure anything?

Got on to VF and got sorted - had been migrated across and not been told, just had to change userid/password

Topmanager wrote: »
    Is Bt and Vodafone not all one..
    Was in Vodafone the other day and hear the clerk say to a customer that you cannot leave bt and move to vodafone because they are all one..Is this true???

No, its not true, I've just done it. They even say its possible on their FAQs.

They do state that you wont receive a new modem, but two members of staff have verbally confirmed I will, and I got an email saying it was on the way. (Unfortunately to an address that doesnt exist, but thats another story!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

20goto10 wrote: »
    100 ms ping :eek: I take it this is the 7mb package? Does anyone know what the contention ratio is?
    It's a little better today. Still happy with the overall speed. Much better than my old BT service. Oh wait, what am I saying? It's awful! Avoid at all costs. :)

574716095.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Going to change over to this at the weekend. You can also get the option of 200mins to vodafone which will be nice at our house. Last bill was very high with eircom and most of it was due to ringing vodafhone numbers.

Also i think it should be cheaper then eircom over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

This is an interesting thread - sorry to hijack it, but am moving to another house, where broadband cannot be received through the phone line. So was contemplating using the Vodafone mobile broadband. Since im a customer (pre-pay mobile only).
    What do ye think, I was at the new house today testing my mobile signal and I get 5 - 6 bars usually so broadband should be good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

This seems like a much better option than Eircom Bundle with 3mb (Which im on now). I've a few questions...

1. Is it difficult to switch from Eircom to Vodafone?
    2. Does the Vodafone offer include line rental?
    3. Is it possible to block outgoing calls just to 02 and 3 three networks?

Any help much appreciated!

1. No, just fill out online form and all done for you
    2. Yes and VAT too, everything included
    3. No idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

homer911 wrote: »
    I think I may have been switched over, but have had no postal or email communication from Vodafone

(DSL light green on my modem this morning but Internet light remains stubbornly red!)

Do I need to reconfigure anything?
    I'm beginning to think I may have been changed over to Vodafone too, for over a week now my speeds on BT 7.6MB are 1MB to under 3MB, before this never a problem. I done a line check on the Vodafone site and it says I can only get 3MB confused.gif.

If this is the case it will be a few more phone calls and I probably end up changing provider.

575050397.png

575051677.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

hellboy99 wrote: »
    for over a week now my speeds on BT 7.6MB are 1MB to under 3MB, before this never a problem. I done a line check on the Vodafone site and it says I can only get 3MB
    575050397.png

575051677.png

Are you now with Vodafone so? Does the speed vary alot? Is this a regular occurence? Im debating to go Vodafone mobile broadband, but with college research to do I need to be 100% sure I have access all the time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm on the BT 24Mbs package and getting very good speeds. Just realised I will probably be downgraded to 7Mbs :eek:
    Anyone know anything concrete about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Im confused the above posts-who is vodafone-in that is the vodafone at home package some rebundling of bt or perlico?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Just checked and I can get Magnet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

Nuphor wrote: »
    I transferred just last week, from 3MB BT to 3MB Vodafone, but I initiated the transfer myself since I didn't want to wait. Unfortunately my line now syncs at 2MB/256KB after the transfer, so I've been jumping through support hoops to get things back to the speeds they were before.

You should call Vodafone and get them to check your profile.

It looks like you are on a 2 meg profile not 3

Advertisement