Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Me, myself and I

• 24-09-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Of the very many commonly accepted (BUT STILL INCORRECT!!!!!!!!) uses and abuses of the English language, the one that burns me the most is the inability of most of the Irish population to decide when to use "me", "myself" or "I". The default seems to be "myself" at every opportunity, even as the first of a duo of pronouns. "Myself and Rasher went knacker drinking", that sort of thing. Is this what schools are teaching? Is anyone else irritated by this or is it just, you know, "myself"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I have to admit that I would often use "me" in the wrong context when speaking, as in "Paul and me went to the shop". I know it's wrong but it is accepted. I would always write it down correctly though.

I once explained to my boss why "Paul and I" was incorrect in a letter she had drafted, she was surprised! She went to boarding school.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I once explained to my boss why "Paul and I" was incorrect in a letter she had drafted, she was surprised! She went to boarding school.

I bet she was surprised but if you ask me going to boarding school was a bit of an overreaction.

I bet she was surprised but if you ask me going to boarding school was a bit of an overreaction.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thread Title was crying out for this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Of the very many commonly accepted (BUT STILL INCORRECT!!!!!!!!) uses and abuses of the English language, the one that burns me the most is the inability of most of the Irish population to decide when to use "me", "myself" or "I". The default seems to be "myself" at every opportunity, even as the first of a duo of pronouns. "Myself and Rasher went knacker drinking", that sort of thing. Is this what schools are teaching? Is anyone else irritated by this or is it just, you know, "myself"?

OP, you are not alone on this one. I often meant to start a thread on it, but couldn't find the time. I have to say that I find the misuse of 'me', 'myself' or 'I' extremely irritating.
    This post has been deleted.

This indeed is very common, and has been so for as long as I can remember. What is even more peculiar is the fact that while the written version is usually 'Myself and Joan went shopping', more often than not, it is pronounced 'Meself and Joan...’ The same goes for 'me hat' and 'me coat' instead of 'my hat' and 'my coat' etc.
    I think people see using "I" in such contexts as overly formal or pretentious. Thus, when trying deliberately to be formal, they switch to using "I" all the time, even when it's incorrect -- as in "Gail has invited Sheila and I to her wedding."

This is the one that annoys me the most. It has been rapidly gaining currency over the last decade or so. It appears to stem from an over-correction of phrases like 'Me and Mary are best friends', influenced by phrases like 'My husband and I think so too'.

I really wish that people who say things like 'Gail has invited Sheila and I to her wedding' would give more thought to what they are actually saying. It could be pointed out to them that they wouldn't say that 'Gail has invited I to her wedding'.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

The Raven. wrote: »

This indeed is very common, and has been so for as long as I can remember. What is even more peculiar is the fact that while the written version is usually 'Myself and Joan went shopping', more often than not, it is pronounced 'Meself and Joan...’ The same goes for 'me hat' and 'me coat' instead of 'my hat' and 'my coat' etc.

I feel your pain. The following conversation took place last night with a pal.

Me "So, were you able to book at tee time for us tomorrow?"
    Pal "Yes, hitting off at 11.40"
    Me "Excellent, who are we playing with?"
    Pal "Just meself and yaself"

Give me strength!

Advertisement