Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i bother

Options
  • 24-09-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i had to take a 10% pay cut along with an extra working hour a day and now taking home €410 a week, its barely enough to live on, my partner is on the dole, got back pay just there and happy out and looking for work , we have to take another cut soon so i dont know how im fixed, should i just leave andget the dole and look for another job??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

hmmmmmm, let me think....

€410 per week and a job

or

€205 (or thereabouts) per week and No job...... plus you'll be waiting even longer than the average person for your dole as you'll have quit voluntarily.

Ridiculous question:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

If your pay has been cut since your partner was awarded the dole she can ask for a means review now that you are working less hours (if she does have means assessed against her).
    Keep the job - a lot better than being on the dole. My Dad always says its easier to get a job when you already have a job - so just keep an ear to the ground for something new. We are in the middle of a recession though so jobs aren't that easy to come by anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Jesus! do you really know how lucky you are to have a job, and that money is not bad. Have you a big mortgage or what? I would be more than happy to have that wage. If you go on the dole you will soon know what its like and you will wish you stayed in the job. stay in the job for gods sake with the state of the country :mad::confused::(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Get a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Stay in the job but look for another one. You don't need to be unemployed to job hunt. Or you could take on a part time job as well. Or you partner could get a job. I could take time as things are quite bad now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

I don't understand.
    If you think that 410 net pay is "barely enough to live on", how on earth do you think you will manage on 200 odd per week?

Stay in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭kingofcastle

Stay put. Go with the flow...no point worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

There are costs associated with getting to/being in work so it's not a simple case of €400 v €200, but getting the scratcher isn't that easy anymore and if you just leave your job I don't think you are eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you resign you'll be ineligible for social welfare for a number of weeks (nine I think) and will probably also experience a very long processing delay. Now that you've had your rant you can realise that you're better off with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I agree with the others.

I was on the dole for approx 7 months and recently started a job with a similar take home pay to what you are currently on.When they offered me the job I almost took their hand off.

Mark my words,the dole is going to take a hit in the budget so that 204 per week could drop by any amount.

Stay in your job and stop complaining.There are plenty of people that would do anything to get off the social welfare yet you are sneering at getting double what the dole pays.

Get a grip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement