Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill Sprints

Options
  • 24-09-2009 11:29am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A quick search turned up a few threads with reference to hill sprints but not one dedicated soley to them.
    • Does your training include hill sprints?
    • What length is the hill?
    • What sort of gradient?
    • What sort of reps and rest period?
    • What type of surface (grass, pavement, dirt, etc)?

As part of the 531 programme I've included hill sprints every week or so for the past 2 months.

The hill I use is a concrete path on which I've measured out a distance of 100m. I'd guesstimate I gain 5 to 7 metres in height from bottom to top. Is that too shallow?

I see some people (articles on the net) doing hill sprints on an incline so steep they have to use their hands to paw their way up. Am I using too shallow a hill? What do you reckon the optimum gradient is?

I have been doing sets of 10x100m, sprinting up, walking back down slowly then sprinting up again, etc. Anyone any tips on reps and distance? Should I do more/less reps or longer/shorter distances?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Anyone got any input on this?

If not I'll move it over to the Athletics/Running/Triathlon forum tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

I throw a few hill runs into my workout from time to time. The hill is only about twenty metres long but is a very steep gradient. Its grass so it can be tough not to slip on my face sometimes.

I tend to do a set of about 5/6 then take slow lap of a rugby pitch as recovery, repeat about 3/4 times depending on how Im feeling or how much work I've already done.

I find they're great for really wrecking me at the end of a session and making me really want to die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Ive never really run on hills, but at the start of the summer we done sprints on some really steep sand dunes for football. Basically if you couldnt get up, you would probably tumble down the other way.

It was by far the most intense cardio activity ive ever done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've run this bad boy with Kev quite a bit, it's brutally effective - http://www.persicousa.com/PhoenixPark.jpg Have done both the side the steps are on and the longer hill, it sucks.

I like sprint up, jog down, repeat. Might only get 5 or 6 reps but it's a complete gut buster. Usually do 3-5 sets of it. Haven't run hills in ages actually.... might get out and do some over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

BossArky wrote: »
    • Does your training include hill sprints?
    • What length is the hill?
    • What sort of gradient?
    • What sort of reps and rest period?
    • What type of surface (grass, pavement, dirt, etc)?

I see some people (articles on the net) doing hill sprints on an incline so steep they have to use their hands to paw their way up. Am I using too shallow a hill? What do you reckon the optimum gradient is?

I have been doing sets of 10x100m, sprinting up, walking back down slowly then sprinting up again, etc. Anyone any tips on reps and distance? Should I do more/less reps or longer/shorter distances?

Hey Boss, here's a few observations from my own training:
    • Only really when I feel I'm lacking in my conditioning training, maybe 2/3 times a month.
    • It takes me approx 18-20 seconds to sprint the full lenght, no idea of the distance.
    • Probably about about 50-60 degrees, just steep enough so I can actually explode off each step up the hill.
    • 10 reps - 40 seconds rest between. But I may have to take a full rep rest between, if I'm too tired.
    • Dirt, concrete, steps - mainly dirt but I find it very slippy and hard to get any purchase.

I don't see any point doing the hill sprints if the hill is too steep, if you have to paw your way up the hill - you're not sprinting, and not developing the explosive power you're looking for in the sprints. Optimum gradient is one where is just steep enough to explode off every step.

I'd run sprints of 20 seconds, with 40 seconds recovery and this is the max Id recommend, I usually end up having to take at least 2 x 1 mins break in between the 10 sprints. If anything I'd lean towards 15 sec sprint with 45 second recovery.
    Also I'd also favour adding in a break if you're too tired to effectively sprint, there's no point going for hill jogs.

Just a few questions, how did you measure the distance, how long does it take each sprint? Whats your recovery time between sprints?

I've also added some bounding work in my sprints, looks crazy and is a lot slower, but very good for the legs. So for example last time I was sprinting, reps 3 & 8 were bounding type sprints, all others were proper sprints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've done hill sprints before, around 100m, decent incline but a long way off pawing my way up, but I much prefer doing sprints on the concept 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FayloD

Found a site today that recommends the follwoing hill sprint routine for basketball training but im sure it could be applied to all sports:

"Do steep hill runs. Find a nearby hill that is about one tenth of a mile long. After doing a 10-to-20 minute warmup run, do the following drill. Run to the top, jog back down, side step to the top on the left side, jog back down, side step to the top on the right side, jog back down, then run up the hill backwards and jog back down. Repeat this whole cycle 4-to-6 times and finish with about a ten minute cool down run."

Jus wondering what bounding type sprints mentioned above are and what are they good for??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I use the steps of the stadium in Leopardstown after my workouts around once every 2 weeks. It's a killer and really finishes the workout off nicely, especially if it's a cool morning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Just a few questions, how did you measure the distance, how long does it take each sprint? Whats your recovery time between sprints?

I measured the distance using my bike speedometer.

Here is an extract from my log for Aug 31st showing the 100m incline took around 16 to 17 seconds. Obviously that is prone to human error with the finger on the stop watch (I had someone time me). It is also pretty useless as a comparison because gradients from your hill to mine, etc.

Hill Sprints 10x100m timed as follows:
    1. 16.0 secs
    2. 17.0 secs
    3. 17.5 secs
    4. not timed
    5. not timed
    6. not timed
    7. not timed
    8. not timed
    9. 17.0 secs
    10. 16.3 secs

My recovery time is usually the length of time it takes to walk slowly back down again. When I started off I could do 6 back to back with a minute or so break before on the last ones. Now I can manage all 10 without stopping.

For that 10x100m session above (^^) I remember that it took ~24 minutes in total including the walking back down.
    I've also added some bounding work in my sprints, looks crazy and is a lot slower, but very good for the legs. So for example last time I was sprinting, reps 3 & 8 were bounding type sprints, all others were proper sprints.

Bounding - I've heard of that alright. Must read up on it.

Thanks everyone. Keep the information coming! Last night I did 10x100m on the flat (football pitch) for a change.

This is the best image I could find to explain:
    bounding.jpg

Basically instead of sprinting forward, you're exploding upward and forward, getting as high off the ground and as far forward with each step.
    You're not necessarily sprinting as fast but working more on the leg muscles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

What are you doing the hills for? Thats probably the first question and will define what type of hills you do.

I do hills. They are very, very hard. I use them for 2 purposes, one to increase strength endurance and one to improve acceleration/power/explosiveness. The strength endurance hills will be up to 150-160m long and will not be all out, eg, we have a guy who can do a flat 100m in about 10.8-10.9 and he takes 22-24secs to do the hills. We take 2-3.5 mins bt runs and build up to do a max of 9 or 10 throughout the season. This will be done in kilter with whatever we are doing in other sessions in a season. Right now, its early season and we are in prepartion phase so its lots of aerobic work with short recoveries., so only 2mins with the recs on the hills.

For acceleration/power etc, the hill will be shorter, 20-30m. Spikes will be needed for these as its likely to be all out. Like acceleration/power on the flat you will have long almost full recoveries.

Generally hills will help so many things, overall strength, balance, technique.

The best place for hills in Dublin is at the grass at Chapelizod Gates in the Phoenix Park. I think overall it could be an 7-9% gradient, rises about 14m. Its been used for years by sprinters. I've tried steps but for sprinters I don't find them as good and you are more prone to injury with the repetition on the hard surface.

Tingle wrote: »
    What are you doing the hills for? Thats probably the first question and will define what type of hills you do.

Glad you saw this, Tingle.

My goal with the hills is simple --> keeping fit/lean in amongst 4 days of lifting following the 531 program.

FYI the 531 program is something like this, with a training week spread over 8 or 9 days:

Day 1: Military Press & assistance
    Day 2: Deadlift & assistance
    Day 3: Hills/Bike/Skipping...
    Day 4: Bench Press & assistance
    Day 5: Squat & assistance
    Day 6: Hills/Bike/Skipping...

So, you do not recommend 10x100m then?

How about one day hills, the second day flat? What kind of reps and distances would you recommend for my goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

When I was fit I used to go running up a huge mother****er of a hill in cork. Took about 4 mins to reach the top. Started off at about a 30-40 degree angle, then a flat-ish bit in the middle then a 20-30 degree-ish gradient to the end. Used to run it 4 or 5 times, you'd be absolutely dead by the end. utter torture but it really toughens you up.

How about one day hills, the second day flat? What kind of reps and distances would you recommend for my goals?

By the way I know I'm totally over thinking this and should just get out and do it.

Still ... it is interesting to talk about these things... :cool:

Glad you saw this, Tingle.

My goal with the hills is simple --> keeping fit/lean in amongst 4 days of lifting following the 531 program.

FYI the 531 program is something like this, with a training week spread over 8 or 9 days:

Day 1: Military Press & assistance
    Day 2: Deadlift & assistance
    Day 3: Hills/Bike/Skipping...
    Day 4: Bench Press & assistance
    Day 5: Squat & assistance
    Day 6: Hills/Bike/Skipping...

Its hard to know what hills are best for you but I'd try keep your hills in sync with your weights. I don;t know your weights but I'd guess a more power/speed porgram of hills would suit so I'd probably do them shorter and faster with longer recoveries. So maybe 3 x 3 x 60 with 2-3mins bt runs and 5-6mins bt sets.

The other day you could do 200's on the flat. Maybe less intensity and less recovery. JUst breaks it up and doesn't mean you'll get bored. 2 x 4 x 200 - 2 mins bt runs, 5 bt sets.

Don't know how long you'd be planning to do those weights but I'd change the hills/running every 4-6 weeks just to make sure you don't get too acclimatised to them and the training effect lessens. Maybe change the hills to sled or tyre pulls for example, change the 200s to 150s or do 150-200-250 in a set.

Its hard to know what hills are best for you but I'd try keep your hills in sync with your weights. I don;t know your weights but I'd guess a more power/speed porgram of hills would suit so I'd probably do them shorter and faster with longer recoveries. So maybe 3 x 3 x 60 with 2-3mins bt runs and 5-6mins bt sets.

The other day you could do 200's on the flat. Maybe less intensity and less recovery. JUst breaks it up and doesn't mean you'll get bored. 2 x 4 x 200 - 2 mins bt runs, 5 bt sets.

Don't know how long you'd be planning to do those weights but I'd change the hills/running every 4-6 weeks just to make sure you don't get too acclimatised to them and the training effect lessens. Maybe change the hills to sled or tyre pulls for example, change the 200s to 150s or do 150-200-250 in a set.

Thanks for that Tingle. I will try out your suggestions.

I'll probably change the distance and sets every 4 weeks to tie in with the 531 weight cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Khannie wrote: »
    I much prefer doing sprints on the concept 2.

Rowing machine?

So maybe 3 x 3 x 60 with 2-3mins bt runs and 5-6mins bt sets.

Sorry, I may be a bit slow here but, can you explain this?

Sorry, I may be a bit slow here but, can you explain this?

1 set will involve 3 runs of 60m, with 2-3 mins between each run in that set. Take 5-6 mins recovery and go again and do the set of 3 runs. So 3 sets in total, 9 runs broken into 3 sets.

The recoveries and sets are hard to gauge, I've based them on my experiences where I want an element of quality but there is still an incomplete recovery. For example, if you were doing a max lift of 1 rep in weights, the equivalent would be maybe doing 1 or 2 runs (on hill or flat) with full recovery, say 10-15 mins.

As BossArky has alluded to he will match his running as best he can to his weights as regard intensity, volume, recovery etc.

Ah right, so sprint 60M, recover for 2-3 mins, repeat x 3 times, recover for 5-6 mins, repeat the whole thing 3 times.

What would you do during your recovery? Is it active recovery or are you idle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

104494431 wrote: »
    Rowing machine?

I'm gonna assume yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

thirtyfoot wrote: »

The best place for hills in Dublin is at the grass at Chapelizod Gates in the Phoenix Park. I think overall it could be an 7-9% gradient, rises about 14m. Its been used for years by sprinters. I've tried steps but for sprinters I don't find them as good and you are more prone to injury with the repetition on the hard surface.

Anyone know any other places for hill sprints that is not tarmac or concrete (i.e. is grass!)

Also is the place highlighted lit up so you can run th hills when it is dark outside. Sorry for dragging up a years old thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Anyone know any other places for hill sprints that is not tarmac or concrete (i.e. is grass!)

Also is the place highlighted lit up so you can run th hills when it is dark outside. Sorry for dragging up a years old thread too.

any place in pheonix park? or any place in dublin?

any place in pheonix park? or any place in dublin?

Sorry just anywhere in Dublin, preferable the northside aswell.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Sorry just anywhere in Dublin, preferable the northside aswell.

I only know a few places on the south side, north side isnt my stomping ground. but usually grass slopes are near motorway overpasses and are quite easy to get to. id start there.

I only know a few places on the south side, north side isnt my stomping ground. but usually grass slopes are near motorway overpasses and are quite easy to get to. id start there.

What are the places on the Southside out of interest?

around cherry wood business park near the ben dunne gym

Advertisement