Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KFC Ads on the Buses

Options
  • 24-09-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if this sounds like I'm digging, but I am finding this a little weird.

Has anyone noticed the spamming of KFC ads on the Bus Éireann buses in the past few weeks? I have never seen advertising for a restaurant that doesn't exist somewhere before like this. Why would KFC put so many ads on buses in a city that doesn't even have their franchise?

Does anyone remember last year, when there were tons of Burger King advertisements in Eyre Square? They also gave out BK vouchers to the Freshers in NUIG. We didn't have a BK back then, but lo-and-behold a few months later and we're all gorging on Whoppers!

Could KFC be "hinting", much like BK did? Aren't they owned by the same businessman (so similar marketing techniques could be used)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Forgive me if this sounds like I'm digging, but I am finding this a little weird.

Has anyone noticed the spamming of KFC ads on the Bus Éireann buses in the past few weeks? I have never seen advertising for a restaurant that doesn't exist somewhere before like this. Why would KFC put so many ads on buses in a city that doesn't even have their franchise?

Does anyone remember last year, when there were tons of Burger King advertisements in Eyre Square? They also gave out BK vouchers to the Freshers in NUIG. We didn't have a BK back then, but lo-and-behold a few months later and we're all gorging on Whoppers!

Could KFC be "hinting", much like BK did? Aren't they owned by the same businessman (so similar marketing techniques could be used)?

They had a Burger King Ad at one of the bus stops in Eyre Square 2 years ago. Not sure if its a marketing technique...you'd like to think they are hinting but maybe they are just hinting that you should go to Athlone, Roscommon or Sligo and get your KFC :p It does seem strange though...thought the same when BK did it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dunno if they're hinting at anything, I remember seeing KFC ads at bus stops in galway early last year....straaaange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

It's just that now they're seriously placing ads everywhere...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I see :D num num num

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

seen it to,

popcorn chicken only 99c!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm surprised a city of Galway's size hasn't yet got a KFC outlet.

McDonalds have been in Galway 21 years now and KFC opened their first outlet in Dublin way back in 1972.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Nation wide advertising campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

With regards to bus stop advertising, I think some advertising company (possibly a country-wide compnay) is responsible for those. It could be a case of KFC going to this company and saying we want to advertise at X amount of bus stops around the country. It might not be a case of KFC saying they want to advertise at specific bus stops in Galway City, although that could well be the case.

Hopefully it is a hint that KFC are coming to Galway though!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

KevR wrote: »
    Hopefully it is a hint that KFC are coming to Galway though!

Hopefully not! Galway has already reached saturation of poor greasy fast food outlets in my opinion.

Bring in some sushi or something else healthy and exotic!

Down with crappy burger joints and deep fried muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

KFC opening next april in briarhill. Restaurant and drive-thru. No link, its in todays Tribune.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Surely Galway Alliance Against War will have something to say about the blatant American military imperialism of Colonel Sanders invading Briarhill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

Robbo wrote: »
    Surely Galway Alliance Against War will have something to say about the blatant American military imperialism of Colonel Sanders invading Briarhill?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

dafunk wrote: »
    Hopefully not! Galway has already reached saturation of poor greasy fast food outlets in my opinion.

Nobody will have to go there to eat if they don't want to. Nothing wrong with an occasional take-away and many people in Galway would like the option of going to KFC.

KFC coming here won't hamper any sushi or healthy exotic food places setting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

There's plenty of slop-buckets in Galway already. Another one won't harm anyone too badly. I like KFC, although I prefer the American one with the Mash N' Gravy :D

Advertisement