Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single mothers how do you feel about them?

• 24-09-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I was listening to fm 104 last night and was quite astonished by the views on single mothers in Ireland brought up by a banker and the callers who agreed with him .
    I am curious how people view them,do you think they are burden on you?

Single mothers burden or Not? 115 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    26% 31 votes
    Government not putting in place correct incentive for them to work.
    45% 52 votes
    All these payments should be discontinued?
    27% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

caseyann wrote: »
    I was listening to fm 104 last night and was quite astonished by the views on single mothers in Ireland brought up by a banker .

They should have no money worries, having been brought up by bankers, so they wouldn't be a burden to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

So one banker = the views on single mothers in Ireland?

No burden here. Pork away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

there's plenty of married mothers raising children badly, so if a single mother is doing a good job, leave her the fcuk alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I was listening to fm 104 last night and was quite astonished by the views on single mothers in Ireland brought up by a banker .

Yes, the phenomena of single mothers reducing financial institutions to ruins requiring Govt, bailouts whilst walking away with 27.5 Million of a pension and an extra Million bonus for good luck.....ruined the country, they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Insurgent wrote: »
    So one banker = the views on single mothers in Ireland?

No burden here. Pork away!

It was the banker who brought up the subject, and the callers who backed him up.Saying that the single mother is the burden on Irish society.
    Sorry :o

• Advertisement

A bit more detail on what he said would be a help, btw. I'm presuming he was saying they were "a burden"......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

I am curious how people view them

In their natural habitat, walking around tesco slapping the shit outta their screaming offspring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A banker on the adrian kennedy phone show, you sure that's not a typo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

genericguy wrote: »
    there's plenty of married mothers raising children badly, so if a single mother is doing a good job, leave her the fcuk alone.

So it is the sole responsibility of the mother to raise children?? I thought it took two to make a child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It was the banker who brought up the subject, and the callers who backed him up.Saying that the single mother is the burden on Irish society.
    Sorry :o

IMO they aren't. I think it's yours too. To be honest the people ringing that show aren't really a good reflection on what Irish society deems a burden. Or anything else for that matter.

I haven't listened to the show in a long time because it was tripe. If this is changed I have no problem being corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

They are a burden on the taxpayer.
    Lazy slappers who were used to their parents looking after them and move straight away to the State looking after them.
    Expecting free houses and cash handouts, then squeezing out a few more kids to move up the council housing list.

Nodin wrote: »
    A bit more detail on what he said would be a help, btw. I'm presuming he was saying they were "a burden"......

Yes Nodin he was implying basically that all single parents are a burden on Ireland and majority of callers agreed with him.
    They painted all single parents with same brush as to been wasters in society.Yet we have non nationals who are getting exactly same as them and not a single one of them nor their families ever paid a tax here in their lives.
    How are you Nodin long time no see :D

One girl rang up last night as a single mother claiming she gets everything she can from social welfare and she thinks she is entitled to it all.

Having been brought up by a wonderful single mother who is absolutely not a burden on society, no.

Lazy slappers who were used to their parents looking after them and move straight away to the State looking after them.
    Expecting free houses and cash handouts, then squeezing out a few more kids to move up the council housing list.

Do you think this applies to all single mothers?

The Muppet wrote: »
    A banker on the adrian kennedy phone show, you sure that's not a typo?

Nope he sent in this comment with the view the Irish single mother is a burden on Irish society.
    Don't be smart :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you were listening to fm 104 op. no comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

panda100 wrote: »
    So it is the sole responsibility of the mother to raise children?? I thought it took two to make a child?

Do you understand what the concept of single mother means? Not every situation is ideal for a father to bring the child up - for various reasons, death, laziness, unknown father and so on.

So all of them planned to get pregnant and live on social and be dumped by their partners and not be able to work and have no money? :rolleyes:
    You obviously dont know how much a single mother get lol

dlofnep wrote: »
    Do you understand what the concept of single mother means? Not every situation is ideal for a father to bring the child up - for various reasons, death, laziness, unknown father and so on.

I think they meant "why is the married mother the only one bringign up the child"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

you can't tar them all with the same brush. A nice educated hard working girl can suddenly end up pregnant with the man not wanting anything to do with her and she could go on to raise a good kid and when she can i'm sure she will contribute to society again.
    On the other hand there are the girls of knackery areas where they seem to want to get pregnant really young and never work their whole lives and we the tax payer are supposed to pay for them to slouch around their houses (and streets) in their pyjamas all day. Yet they still continue to complain about not having enough money even though they can afford new clothes and Xboxes for their little urchin children, Jordan, Dylan, Chardonnay et al.
    They should be sterilised at birth.

• Advertisement

you were listening to fm 104 op. no comment

Yes do you not ever be browsing along channels and hear something and stop :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I am a single mother of two children, I work full time and pay all my taxes - as I earn over a certain amount (which is not a lot) I am entitled to sweet FA from El Governmento.. do I consider myself a burden on society? - No I do not!.. but I do see why this has been raised and I do feel that there are those that just sit back and milk the system.. But please (as someone else mentioned) don't tar us all with the same brush.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i'd do them. But only once or twice. Dont want the kids gettings ideas about me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

trustno1 wrote: »
    I am a single mother of two children, I work full time and pay all my taxes - as I earn over a certain amount (which is not a lot) I am entitled to sweet FA from El Governmento.. do I consider myself a burden on society? - No I do not!.. but I do see why this has been raised and I do feel that there are those that just sit back and milk the system.. But please (as someone else mentioned) don't tar us all with the same brush.. ;)

Keep up the good work girl. But i thought all y'all mothers were entitled to children's allowance no matter what your circumstances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

panda100 wrote: »

Yes !! ... but they either dont know who the daddy is ...or he's not involved ...hence SINGLE MOTHERS !!!

EDIT: Dont we have to be PC and call it "Single Parent"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

So are all single mothers a burden, is the question?

Well, they make absolutely no difference to me whatsoever. I mean, would these people prefer if single mothers stayed in relationships they were unhappy in? Would that make them "less of a burden"?

Sometimes people who aren't in relationships have sex. Sometimes the woman can unexpectedly fall pregnant. Some people are very narrow-minded.

It makes me sick how ignorant some people are. Such people, I can only assume, must be bitter and miserable!!!

There are plenty of single mothers out there that screw the system. But this hardly applies to one group of people.

The term "single mother" means just that. A mother who is single. This does not mean she doesn't work, it does not mean that she does not pay her own rent, it does not mean that she spends her child benefit on cigarettes. What it does mean is that she is bringing up a child as a single person - how difficult can you imagine that to be?

Now I do think that those who are screwing the system, getting every penny they can, claiming rent allowance while their partner is living in the house, having more kids to "move up the council list", are scum. But in reality, they are not the majority. This class of people is not restricted to single mothers either btw, there are plenty of married couples scrounging off the system too you know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Keep up the good work girl. But i thought all y'all mothers were entitled to children's allowance no matter what your circumstances?

Opps.. sorry.. I stand corrected - I do get childrens' allowance but so do married couples, I meant I don't get back to school allowances, family income supplement, single parents allowance etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 trinity troll

I'm sick to death hearing about the minority of single mothers who made a genuine mistake and are sorry, what about the vast majority who got pregnant because they sleep around and don't really care if their future children don't get to live with their father.
    With the amount of emphasis on safe sex and contraception it's hard to sympathise with the masses of single women getting pregnant.

And don't even get me started on the vile demons who choose single motherhood as a lifestlye choice.

David attenborough once said "where an infant can be raised without the help of the father, polygamy will evolve".
    Taxpayers money is going towards helping women raise children without fathers. This is destroying the role of men as fathers. I like to think monogamy was crucial in fostering the cooperation unique to humans that has allowed us to achieve so much. If we continue the way we are going society will collapse. You can see this happening in the poorer areas of america where the fatherless youths join gangs to feel included.

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Yes !! ... but they either dont know who the daddy is ...or he's not involved ...hence SINGLE MOTHERS !!!

EDIT: Dont we have to be PC and call it "Single Parent"

Oh he only mentioned single mothers and they were the only ones getting lashed out of it.

I think also PC is one parent family :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I was listening to fm 104 last night

Instant fail!

Thats like asking Jack the ripper for advice with the ladies:D

With the amount of emphasis on safe sex and contraception it's hard to sympathise with the masses of single women getting pregnant.

Oh yeah, contraception works 100% of the time, I forgot.
    And fathers always want to stick around and the relationships always work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

IMO, the bankers, developers and high earners who are not correctly filing their tax returns, are a burden on our tax system.

Single Parent families? Nope. The government and welfare system is in place to ensure that people in less than desirable situations can be afforded help, and achieve a certain quality of life.

Unfortunately, this leaves the system open to abuse from a minority. However, were the Gov to means test, check up on all those who claim, the cost of doing so would probably outweigh the cost of paying benefits to those that don't deserve it.

Catch 22. Leave it as is, and stop bloody moaning that some people are actually entitled to welfare.

Single Parent families happen. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Fact: like with all of society ... there are users, abusers and people who just dont know.

there are the ones(Single Parents) that abuse the situation, (claiming everything under the sun...and complaining that its not enough) - these are the people that we should irradicate from the system...the scroungers !!!

there are the ones that use the situation - those that use a pregnancy to benefit, while still continuing with their lives... these people contribute to society and also claim the entitlements that the government affords them (Fair play you deserve it)

there are also those who are embarrassed or not as well informed enough to know their entitlements - they have their child and try to make the best out of whatever means they have.

Personally .... I dont think this country and in particular, Dublin City is a safe/respectable place to rare a crotch dropping (got that phrase from Boards). if I do find myself in the situation where I'm the father of a child I would prefer to move away from the city and into a nice quiet country setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

bluewolf wrote: »
    And fathers always want to stick around and the relationships always work out.

Who cares what the fathers want ? They should be paying for their kids full stop and not relying on everyone else to pick up the tab.

• Advertisement

They (.....) list.

My o my.

What percentage of the aforementioned "single mothers" are in receipt of benefits and what percentage are working?

Morlar wrote: »
    Who cares what the fathers want ? They should be paying for their kids full stop and not relying on everyone else to pick up the tab.

Raising a kid on your own still makes you a single mother regardless of payments...

Hmm. Can you possibly get any less realistic? Seriously??

I doubt anyone is denying that a father should pay maintenance to the mother for the child, but in all seriousness, if the said maintenance is say, €350-400 - how does that pay for food, bills, rent, childcare (if working part time), fuel, insurance, rent / mortgage etc etc etc

Stop being so closed minded.

There are plenty of cases where the father just disappears, or they do not even know who the father is etc.

You should really think about what you're typing instead of throwing out nonsensical dribble.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Raising a kid on your own still makes you a single mother regardless of payments...

Yes it obviously does. Except this thread relates to the benefits burden on taxpayers of unmarried mothers who draw benefits.

Yes it obviously does. Except this thread relates to the benefits burden on taxpayers of unmarried mothers who draw benefits.

Except I was responding to someone else's idiotic rant about single mothers so what's your point?

• Advertisement

Hmm. Can you possibly get any less realistic? Seriously??

The system in other countries of MAKING fathers accountable works reasonably well.
    I doubt anyone is denying that a father should pay maintenance to the mother for the child, but in all seriousness, if the said maintenance is say, €350-400 - how does that pay for food, bills, rent, childcare (if working part time), fuel, insurance, rent / mortgage etc etc etc

The maintenance should be at a level that can pay for the childs needs.
    Stop being so closed minded.

Actually I am not. If anyone here is being narrow minded it is you
    There are plenty of cases where the father just disappears, or they do not even know who the father is etc.

As above other countries have a system in place for making fathers pay up.
    You should really think about what you're typing instead of throwing out nonsensical dribble.

Actually it is you who needs to take that lesson onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

If single mothers are getting maitenence they shoud be no burden to the state however im sure there are plenty who get money off the father and milk you and me, i am not saying all single mothers do this.

In some situations there are genuine cases where single mothers do need help, imo they are entiltled to it.
    But the section of ****ers who have two hands out getting benifits make my blod boil.

And how much of a burden is that, exactly?

I'll tell you what tax burden you should concentrate on.

Ridiculous minister salary's, government expenses, over staffed government departments, 'junior' ministers, 'consultation' fee's, over budget projects, wasted government ment funds (e-voting for one) and I could go on.

These are all a MUCH larger burden on the tax revenue of the country than some single parents who need that money to live.

Focus your attention on the real issues of why the country is fooked, and not pick on the vulnerable and easy targets.

Actually, no, it doesn't. It referred to "single mothers". It was never specified what "type" of single mothers. Hence people getting on the defensive.

Nodin wrote: »
    And how much of a burden is that, exactly?

Maybe you should ask the CSO or the dept of social welfare ? They look after central statistics and may have the exact figure you are looking for. Unless you are trying to imply that without an exact figure to hand there is no burden to taxpayers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

wow ok ok...I have to agree with bluewolf.

I also think this thread should be closely monitored by mods due to the sensitive nature of the topic nad that fact it's been put in AFTER HOURS (instant fail)

Ok, so I'm expecting my first child and am a single mother. I think this is too broad a subject and too many people are painted with the same brush. The father had a personality transplant after I got pregnant and became incredibly abusive and things just went from bad to worse when we split. We had our last fight yesterday about money. (He lives in the UK) He's becoming a waster who is getting coucil housing for no reason whatsoever and instead of ging out and getting a job when I got pregnant is still sitting around waiting on benefits. He spends any money he has on all sorts of ****. I contacted him yesterday about money as I am starting to look into the essentials....cots, buggies the like. He told me that he'll send whatever he can afford. Waht does that mean you ask? It means he is going to spend money on "having a life" because he;s not giving up his "life", it also means buying a car that isn't really 100% necessary. So basically he'll send what he can afford after he's done having fun. I'll be lucky to get money for sweets. (dont read into that...i mean ill get a tenner)

I'm quite driven. I want nothing more than to work and finish my degree. I am a social care student hoping to go on and get my masters in social work. As a result of my situation I have had to drop out of college and will be on benefits for the next while.

I'm going to do what i have to survive andthen I will complete my degree and I will work.

Don't paint us all with the same brush. You have no idea how much it can hurt to be in the situation of being a single parent.

The maintenance should be at a level that can pay for the childs needs.

Should be, does not mean will be. The father may be on the dole, disability. May have other kids elsewhere. May have rent and bills of his own to pay.

It would be great if everything was done as it should be but that's not reality.

Should be, does not mean will be. The father may be on the dole, disability. May have other kids elsewhere. May have rent and bills of his own to pay.

It would be great if everything was done as it should be but that's not reality.

Just because things are not as they should be does not mean that there should be no effort to make them that way. There will always be scenarios where the father got hit by a bus and is disabled etc, or has 20 other kids etc, for all the other cases where that is not the case and the maintenance levels do not pay - they should be increased.

If the father is on the dole with no other kids then that should be reduced and the difference paid to the mother. Even if it does not fix every single problem in every single way it (and steps like that) may over time reduce the level of some problems and it may be an incentive to some to be more careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ok I've got an idea. We'll send out a letter to all single mothers everywhere telling them they've won a free car or council flat or buggy or something and they'll all turn up to collect it cause they're all a bunch of sponging wenches. And then we can torch the warehouse where they all are and sort them out and sell their kids into slavery and force them to knit shamrocks for Americans for St. Patrick's Day and use the profits to get the country out of the economic crisis and that way we'll have sorted out the biggest drain on Ireland's finances and allowed our politicians (especially you O'Donoghue ya big lug!) to continue on in the lavish style that they're accustomed to. And anyone that we don't like the look of in future or that maybe comes from a less well off background we can sterilise once they approach puberty to stop this horrible crime of motherhood happening to anyone we don't approve of. And if someone does get pregnant by accident and isn't married and strapped down to their man well then we'll build special schools or eh.... let's call them laundries, yeah laundries sounds nice and innocent so it does. And we'll put them in the laundries and make them work until they have the kid and then sell the kid for organs and research and shave the mother's head and tar and feather her to teach her a lesson.

Sounds fair and reasonable?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement