Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband - Letterkenny

Options
  • 24-09-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know who provides the best value (including coverage) mobile broadband in the Lismonaghan area in Letterkenny?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

probably 3. You can check signal and servers online.
    I have just been on the phone to them from UK, about why my UK dongle just stopped receiving 3Roaming, mid August, credit available, signal available, in Portnoo area.

I shall see if it works this weekend. When it works it's OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Wherre about is Lismonaghan exactly? Im in Glencar with 3 and the coverage is pretty poor, only works for me upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Harps wrote: »
    Wherre about is Lismonaghan exactly? Im in Glencar with 3 and the coverage is pretty poor, only works for me upstairs
    Out past the Oldtown a wee bit along the road that would take you out at the top of Lurgybrack. There's a new (ish) housing estate on the left - in there!

You can take the modem for a trial period of one week I think so you'd be as well to try that. €20 a month for 15GB is what I pay and Im happy enough with it

Harps wrote: »
    You can take the modem for a trial period of one week I think so you'd be as well to try that. €20 a month for 15GB is what I pay and Im happy enough with it
    Who are you with?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

yo, back on line with 3 dongle, out past Ardara.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The o2 transmitter is on top of the Garda Station, so anywhere that has good line of sight of it will have good coverage. Lismonaghan should have excellent coverage.
    O2 do a 14 day (best to ask exact length) money back offer if your not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

why anyone would want to get any of the dongles is beyond me, they are all
    rubbish, get Smart it's brillant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

googlehead wrote: »

I'd imagine its something to do with the fact its a newish estate and the fact eircom couldn't be bothered going up that way with broadband lines yet. an Talk talk is the way to go for broadband line broadband now.

I have a meteor dongle, its the cheapest at €16pm, i've moved to just outside newtown near colm dillons garage, and i get decent coverage all the time not much use for you-tube ect, but we've been online pretty much constantly now for 4 days and used 264mb which is great, tried it in lk on fri and pages couldn't load quick enough!

• Advertisement

googlehead wrote: »
    I should explain a little. Its my daughter actually who is looking for the broadband. She is in a flat in an estate and even if she wanted to get a fixed line and pay the monthly line rental the landlord wouldnt allow it anyhow.

She's just looking for a good deal and with some provider who has good coverage in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

muffler wrote: »
    I should explain a little. Its my daughter actually who is looking for the broadband. She is in a flat in an estate and even if she wanted to get a fixed line and pay the monthly line rental the landlord wouldnt allow it anyhow.

She's just looking for a good deal and with some provider who has good coverage in that area.

That's a shame. I know a few people (different end of Letterkenny) who tried out them dongles and gave up in despair. Luckily, even though rented properties, they were able to go for the landline option. Is there no way the landlord could be persuaded? What would his objections be?

Apparently he is reluctant to allow it as he had problems elsewhere with some other tenants and indeed it probably suits her in any event as she doesn't want to be tied down to a contract as she doesn't know how long she will be there for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

It's a pity that people can't get a shorter term 'real' broadband contract. There's bound to be a market for this with people on contract jobs here and there. Something like 3 or 6 months would be good and ISPs could even charge a bit of a premium and a security deposit that maybe some doting dads might pay :pac:
    I also don't really understand reluctant landlords in this situation as people enter into the contracts in their own right - just the same as they do for ESB, with the same opportunity to rack up debts. There are ways and means to overcome this problem, especially when all inclusive package deals for phone/broadband and number blocking are widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

What the hell is a Dongle?

Afriend of mine lives in Lismonaghan, he uses 3 broadband. Said it was fast enough loading pics and vids. AFAIK, he paid upfront for 6 months and that was it. If it's a long term contract i.e.12 or 18 months just remember to tell your daughter not to go over the cap! Expensive bills!

What the hell is a Dongle?
    You dont wanna know :eek:

Nah seriously its one of these little things that plug into the laptop for the broadband
    E169.jpg

Afriend of mine lives in Lismonaghan, he uses 3 broadband. Said it was fast enough loading pics and vids. AFAIK, he paid upfront for 6 months and that was it. If it's a long term contract i.e.12 or 18 months just remember to tell your daughter not to go over the cap! Expensive bills!
    She was working down the south of Ireland earlier in the year and went over the cap and as she was tied to a contract it cost here a lot of money. But a hard lesson learned etc

You dont wanna know :eek:

Nah seriously its one of these little things that plug into the laptop for the broadband
    E169.jpg

She was working down the south of Ireland earlier in the year and went over the cap and as she was tied to a contract it cost here a lot of money. But a hard lesson learned etc

So that's what they're called. I call them Broadband USBs. Didn't know there was an official name for them.

Hard lesson learned by me and all, I never knew about the cap, was never told about it either, so I took my Vodafone 'dongle' away and was internet happy, was told it would be €15 for the first 3 months and all! Great news, til I got a bill saying it was €124. Serious WTF error, rang them, they said cos I went over the cap. I got no warnings, nor was I told I was reaching my limit, bloody pesky bastards. They must have gotten an extra €600 off me in one year. Gutted. Luckily have NTL/UPC BB now in Dublin so it's unlimited and it's a10meg line costing me €32 a day. Happy out.

so it's unlimited and it's a10meg line costing me €32 a day. Happy out.
    :eek:

:eek:

Good :eek: or a bad :eek:

Can't really tell. Maybe if I'm wrong. I dunno. This is package I have. http://www.upc.ie/broadband/ten/

Does me good. :D

€32 a day
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 aarnb

Anybody have 02 broadband up on foxhills / mountain top ? Does it work ok up there?

(sorry donegalgirl for hijacking your thread :) )

It isn't my thread :P

Hijack away! (that is if the mods let ya heehe)

Advertisement