Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Healing

Options
  • 24-09-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I got a small tattoo on my wrist nearly two weeks ago. Followed the aftercare instructions, keeping it clean, using the Bepanthen and making sure it didn't dry out etc. About 6 days after the tattoo, the shiny/wrinkly bits started to flake off revealing what a tattoo normally looks like...but then it seemed to go shiny/wrinkly again?

It's now a week later and it still looks like this? It's not itchy, flakey or dry in any way, feels quite moisturised...I've changed to E45 because I thought the bepanthen might be a bit much for it two weeks later?

Is this the normal timeframe for a tattoo to still look like this...am I just being impatient now sor the shiny look to leave?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sounds normal enough to me.

The shiny look usually disappears for me anyway around the 2.5-3 week mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Ah cheers, thanks for that Hellrazer. I guess when I saw the initial flaking last week, I thought it was healing really quick and so my impatience increased three fold, haha!

Unfortunately I want it touched up as there are bits that I'm not fully satisfied with so the impatience will start all over again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 helenagarvin

just on a general note for all of my tattoos ive had done i use advice my mate gave me (who is a tattoo artist in america). take the cling film off after an hour and wash it with soap and luke warm water, let the air at it till it starts to feel dry and put some vaseline on it and keep doing that till its healed washing it three times a day.
    for my first 2 tattoos i used bepanthem and e45 and this made the ink fade. in fact most tattoo places wont use e45 anymore so be careful with that

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Not really a good idea to use Vaseline on the healing tattoo, as it prevents the air from getting to it, which hinders the healing!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

tattoo_goo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

I used dettol antiseptic cream on all mine tattoos and never had a problem.....i never use vaseline and I take the cling film off after about and hour and let the air at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jordank

Shimei wrote: »
    tattoo_goo.jpg
    got this when i got a tat in portugal-good stuff
    normaly use bepanthen here

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

for my first 2 tattoos i used bepanthem and e45 and this made the ink fade. in fact most tattoo places wont use e45 anymore so be careful with that
    :eek: ooo thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

is thsi true about e45? jsut got my first tattoo today and looking for tips on cream to apply... i used e45 about an hour ago

I've always used Bepanthen myself and have never had a problem. As it's designed for healing irritated delicate skin, it works wonders.

Can't say if there is any truth to the E45 thing, it could be that those tattoos would have faded regardless of what was used, there's no way of knowing for sure without trying it out half and half on the same tattoo, and that's not something I would try myself! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

for all the tattoos ive had done,

i used bepanthen & clingfilm for the first 3 days, wash it 3/4 times a day with your usual shower gel, as you know you never have reactions to it..

then after the 3 days i use e45 say 2/3 times a day to stop it getting dry and cracked, my tattoos are usually healed within a week (depends on size obviously), then i do still use e45 once a day for say another week or 2.

my tattoos have never faded or got infected,

obviously they will fade over time for various reasons, the sun fades them and from what i heard chlorine is lethal for the first month, its supposed to do something with the colour.. kinda like what happens with hair dye.. your artist should tell you not to go swimming..

My last tattoo took a couple of weeks to heal but looks fabulous now (I'm still in love with it :D)

I've been told a few times that preperation h (the butt cream) is great for healing but haven't tried it out myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

My last tattoo took a couple of weeks to heal but looks fabulous now (I'm still in love with it :D)

I've been told a few times that preperation h (the butt cream) is great for healing but haven't tried it out myself.

bepanthan is a butt cream too..

made for babies, so when they P in their nappys it doesnt touch there skin.. its a guard!

bfocusd wrote: »
    bepanthan is a butt cream too..

yeh I know but it's not for PILES (I was tryna be nice :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

I've used after-sun on all my tattoos, works a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

I've 6 tattoos, and have used Savlon cream every time - have never used cling film. Small blue tube available in supermarkets + chemists. Love the smell of it too.

bfocusd wrote: »
    ...wash it 3/4 times a day with your usual shower gel...

You're much MUCH better off washing the tattoo gently with some anti-bacterial handwash such as sanex (Preferably the unscented/uncoloured ones, although the usual one is clear blue coloured), as this will help prevent any infection or any associated problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Cheers i got that Bepanthen. Itsa weird weird cream!

Arm is a bit tender and was slightly swollen, is taht normal?

Advertisement