Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there snobbery in the Irish music scene?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭an_other

Is myspace the place for new music these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

an_other wrote: »
    Is myspace the place for new music these days?

It was 4 years ago, not anymore. I find new music through YouTube, torrents and (when us Irish folk weren't cut off) Spotify as well as on music blogs like nialer9 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

It's an interesting question about the Saw Doctors. If some of the media have a problem with this band then I'd say it's more to do with embarassment than snobbery. I'd also say that they're judged more on their image than on their music. If this is true then it says more about the continuing self deprecation of the Irish.

The Saw Doctors are quintessentially Irish and they've made little or no effort to cover up their 'Irishness' and this is just pure anathema to certain elements in the ( ahem, Dublin) media who don't see the Saw Doctors as urbane or polished enough to represent Ireland.

That's a very interesting point anti-venom.
    Could we be so ashamed of who we are that we are embarrassed by someone who embraces it?

I have no issue with a journalist not liking the music of a band and saying so in an article or review, but to simple ignore an act does smell very much like the embarrassment you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

an_other wrote: »
    That's a very interesting point anti-venom.
    Could we be so ashamed of who we are that we are embarrassed by someone who embraces it?

I have no issue with a journalist not liking the music of a band and saying so in an article or review, but to simple ignore an act does smell very much like the embarrassment you mention.

Look at any Irish bands that are well known now. Almost all of them are indie (in the loosest sense) bands. It's just the style of music that's popular. It's nothing to do with snobishness or embarrassment. Heathers have recieved a lot of positive coverage recently. I've heard them sing in Irish and it hasn't affected their popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

This is an interesting topic! I think there might be another angle though...

It's difficult to make a sizeable income from record sales and to get 'pushed' in the media or on the radio also takes money for PR (there's always a few that know the right people but in my experience, a lot more Irish bands are paying top dollar to get the mention, or the airplay etc.) Sure, there are mega bands out there selling millions of albums but they are few and far between. Some bands that would be considered headliners, big UK bands etc. who you would assume are raking it in are, in fact, not.

The Saw Doctors have been on the go for a long time now. They can gig almost anywhere in Ireland and pull a big crowd. I would imagine that their income comes from touring more than anything else.

If I were in their shoes, with a bankable touring name, I'm not sure i'd be bothered to spend all the money involved for PR as first, people already know who they are and second, the money they make from record/single sales is small fry compared with what they can earn if focussing on stage shows.

As such, I'm not convinced that, in this instance, it's a question of a band being snubbed or ignored. There's also an onus on any band to get out there and drum up some interest. If it's not happening in this way for the Saw Doctors, then surely it's not just down to one side or the other?

But, for a band at the early stages of their career, I do think there is a lack of openness in the media to new artists, instead they seem to favour the usual over-hyped half dozen. However, a new band can get into that hyped 'golden circle' if a) they know the right people, b) they splash the cash for serious PR. Realistically, neither of these will count unless the music speaks for itself.

Sorry for the essay :o

good points well made

Advertisement