Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would 15 grand a month get you?

• 24-09-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

Let's say you're an eccentric millionaire who likes the interweb but doesn't like going into the office.

What sort of connection could you get into your house for that sort of money?
    Based on Eircom Wholesale's rates, it seems you can pretty much get a t1 line for that.

At the very least I expect someone will be happy to dig up your road to lay fibre for you.

Educated guesswork welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I have thought about this too. I imagine if you contacted the ESB and tried to see if it was possable to connect to their fibre network it might end up costing that much per month once everything is paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

very discreate OP

congratulations on your new found wealth slutmonkey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You could always just buy the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

tbh for 15K a month you'd be able to get yourself an uncontended Fiber Line and an uncontended Wireless back up

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Do you mean an OC3 line? Surely not a T1 for 15K.... a T1 is only 1.5M/s (24 x 64kb/s)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Also, T1 is a north American standard. The European equivalent is E1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You could always just buy the internet.

I have it here for sale, complete & boxed. Last updated 23/9/09 (It still has the Tom OC 'Entrepreneur' Youtube clip) so will need to be synced before using.

0bbc11c1.jpg

Asking €15,000 or will trade for a VW T5.

JustinOval wrote: »
    I have it here for sale, complete & boxed.

Please plug it back, I can't acces any website !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

mukki wrote: »
    very discreate OP

congratulations on your new found wealth slutmonkey

Rest assured if I had any new found wealth I wouldn't be on boards, I'd be drenched in hookers and blow.*

*Computer parts and food, who am I kidding.

Rest assured if I had any new found wealth I wouldn't be on boards, I'd be drenched in hookers and blow.*

*Computer parts and food, who am I kidding.

^lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

You'd do well with 15k a month. I had a 155Mbps line in and that was only costing 5k per month.

Mena wrote: »
    You'd do well with 15k a month. I had a 155Mbps line in and that was only costing 5k per month.

Where did you get this from ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Let's say you're an eccentric millionaire who likes the interweb but doesn't like going into the office.

What sort of connection could you get into your house for that sort of money?
    Based on Eircom Wholesale's rates, it seems you can pretty much get a t1 line for that.

At the very least I expect someone will be happy to dig up your road to lay fibre for you.

Educated guesswork welcome.
    This Slutmonkey57b, is the Internet. It doesn't even weigh anything...

The_Internet_IT_Crowd.gif

rikili wrote: »
    Where did you get this from ???

Through HEAnet, so I'm afraid private citizens and companies are s.... out of luck.

To be fair, the UPC metro ethernet connections (100Mbps) were only (going from memory here) roughly 1833.00 per month, though that's point-to-point and not inclusive of a connection to the wider internet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Mena wrote: »
    Can I please ask, what in the world would anyone need this type of line for? 5k per month is a very large amount of money, so it must be very important, what did it do?

Zascar wrote: »
    Can I please ask, what in the world would anyone need this type of line for? 5k per month is a very large amount of money, so it must be very important, what did it do?

Well we had 2 of them :p

But essentially it connected 4000 very heavy users to the web and to various other universities and research institutes around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Zascar wrote: »

HEAnet = Higher Education Authority Networks

They provide connections for colleges & manage schools connections

Advertisement