Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water on the moon...

Options
  • 24-09-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

News to me anyway...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/sep/24/discovery-water-moon-lunar-base

"Water is quickly broken down on the lunar surface, but Roger Clark, who led the Cassini study at the US Geological Survey in Colorado, said the new results "could be indicating the presence of that ancient water".

Data from the spacecraft found the lunar soils became increasingly damp during sunlight hours, but dried out again at the end of the lunar day.

The waves of damp and dry conditions suggest water is created on the moon every day, when hydrogen nuclei in the solar wind slam into oxygen-rich silicate minerals on the moon's surface.

If water is created in this way, it could happen on all airless planets throughout the inner Solar System that have oxygen-rich rocks scattered on their surfaces.

Next month, Nasa will intentionally crash a probe called LCROSS (Lunar Crater Observation Sensing Satellite Mission) into the Cabeus A crater near the lunar south pole, in the hope of finding signs of water in the shower of debris it produces."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I was very sceptical about the results from the Indian spacecraft simply because it was India's first Lunar mission.I read the link and the fact that some American centers have to some extent backed it up seems like some kind of 'hidden agenda' or clutching at straws by a demoralised space community.

NASA have been to the moon with unmanned and manned spacecraft testing soil and rocks since the 1960's with no sign of water.

Hubble and Spectrograph telescopes in space and on Earth would surely have found water if it was there by now.

i think it was just a false positive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ynotdu wrote: »
    I was very sceptical about the results from the Indian spacecraft simply because it was India's first Lunar mission.I read the link and the fact that some American centers have to some extent backed it up seems like some kind of 'hidden agenda' or clutching at straws by a demoralised space community.

NASA have been to the moon with unmanned and manned spacecraft testing soil and rocks since the 1960's with no sign of water.

Hubble and Spectrograph telescopes in space and on Earth would surely have found water if it was there by now.

Wait'll THE LCROSS whacks into it on Oct. 9th,that should give us some sort of definitive proof hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

ynotdu wrote: »

ynotdu lol " i think it was just a false positive:( "
    Ha , have to agree , i suppose we will wait and see what LCROSS brings us when it gets there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

LOL. LL and Stargate it seems to me it will make no diffrience what LCROSS throws up after impact! The conspiracy theorists are STILL saying that man never walked on the moon despite LCROSS,s photo's of the lunar landing sites including the Lunar modules still on the surface(and in the case of Apollo 12 the unmanned vechicle it delibritly landed beside due to Neil and Buzz's encounter with unknown crators at Tranquility base)

Well LCROSS You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue,hopefully we will be breathing again when You impact:D

Advertisement