Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"BBC presenter saves mother and baby"

• 24-09-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

Link
    Nick Knowles has said his "blood ran cold" when he saw an overturned car and found a woman and her eight-week-old baby girl trapped inside.

Knowles, who presents the BBC's 'DIY SOS' and 'Wildest Dreams', pulled both passengers to safety with the aid of another motorist - currently only known as a builder called Simon.

Knowles was travelling in his Range Rover to film his latest show, Home Truths, when he noticed an overturned black Ford Mondeo in a field.

The presenter said he pulled over and rushed to the scene with Simon and discovered Claire Williams and her eight-week-old daughter Alexandra in the car.

Speaking from the filming location in Somerset, Nick said: "When I heard the baby crying my blood ran cold - you wonder what you're going to see. That was fairly terrifying.

"The mother was saying 'I've got to get my baby out'. So Simon and I ripped the side door open. I went in through the back and passed the baby out to Simon, who was knelt by the car."

A passing nurse also stopped and treated the mother while they waited, Nick said.

He added that he believed the baby was saved by her child seat, in which she was "fully strapped".

Nick denied being a hero and paid tribute to Simon the builder, the nurse and emergency services.

"I just did what everyone else would do," he said. "I would hope anyone else would have done the same to help my loved ones."

I have no idea who this guy is, but would I be correct in saying that he did exactly what you should not do if you come across a car accident?

Unless the car was actually on fire or anything, he should have waited for the emergency services to come rather than moving the mother and baby. Had they been injured, he could have really made things worse. However luckily this wasn't the case in this incident.

I get that his intentions were really good, but the report should really point out the correct procudures that should be taken if a person comes across an accident, rather than just portraying this guy as a hero.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I see your point, but tbh, that would have made the alternative headline "BBC presenter sees distraught child in car crash and fiddles"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Link

I have no idea who this guy is, but would I be correct in saying that he did exactly what you should not do if you come across a car accident?

Unless the car was actually on fire or anything, he should have waited for the emergency services to come rather than moving the mother and baby. Had they been injured, he could have really made things worse. However luckily this wasn't the case in this incident.

I get that his intentions were really good, but the report should really point out the correct procudures that should be taken if a person comes across an accident, rather than just portraying this guy as a hero.

/facepalm...

There are situations when you will remove people from the car. If the car is already on fire, yea... goodluck getting anybody out. If somebody is ejected from their car, you shouldn't move them unless they are in danger where they are lying. He done the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Isn't he just dreamy. As if desperate housewives needed another reason to love him.

/facepalm...

There are situations when you will remove people from the car. If the car is already on fire, yea... goodluck getting anybody out. If somebody is ejected from their car, you shouldn't move them unless they are in danger where they are lying. He done the right thing.

I'm fairly certain that you aren't meant to move them until their neck can be secured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just heard about this on the ITV news:

"BBC Presenter gets assistants to fake car crash to act like hero" was their angle on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Have you not seen Crash?

That car was gonna blow. It's the just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Speaking from the filming location in Somerset, Nick said: "When I heard the baby crying my blood ran cold - you wonder what you're going to see.

Wait a minute…he kinda looks like a baby..come here im gonna eat ya…im bigger than u I'm higher on the food chain…get in my belly..c’mon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm fairly certain that you aren't meant to move them until their neck can be secured.

Good luck trying to secure the neck of an 8 week old. I don't think spinal precautions are viable in a baby that young. An upside down car is no place for a baby and I would definitely have removed her.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Good luck trying to secure the neck of an 8 week old. Spinal precautions are not viable in a baby that young. An upside down car is no place for a baby and I would definitely have removed her.

With respect, you aren't the one who is going to have to spoon-feed a quadriplegic child for the rest of your life.

Moving people from car crashes should be left to the professionals unless there is no other choice, or if there is obviously no injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just heard about this on the ITV news:

"BBC Presenter gets assistants to fake car crash to act like hero" was their angle on it.

You should have heard Sky's take on things......

"BBC reporter stumbles across upturned car in a field while he was in the middle of a dogging session with a builder called Simon".

Tough on all families involved, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Id imagine there would be less respect for him if the story was that he saw someone experiencing chest pains and decieded to perform open heart surgery on them.

"Yeah, my blood went cold when I saw him clutching his chest so I just grabbed my swiss army knive and started cutting, im no hero!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It sounds like the child was still in it's car seat. I don't see any problem with moving child seat out of the car with the baby still in it.

If you were in an upside down car, feeling a bit battered but other okay, would you just sit there and wait for the firemen to cut you out? Or would you just ask the bloke nearest to you to give you a hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

There are situations when you will remove people from the car. If the car is already on fire, yea... goodluck getting anybody out.

But that rarely happens except in the movies. However a lot of people seem to believe that the car will somehow self-implode following any car crash, and that's why they unnecessarily remove any injured people inside it.
    If somebody is ejected from their car, you shouldn't move them unless they are in danger where they are lying. He done the right thing.

How did he do the right thing? He was just lucky that neither the mother or child were injured. Had they any neck or spinal injuries (as frequently happens as a result of car accidents), he could have made them a lot worse.
    dooferoaks wrote: »
    Good luck trying to secure the neck of an 8 week old. I don't think spinal precautions are viable in a baby that young. An upside down car is no place for a baby and I would definitely have removed her.

I'm not medically trained. I would have no idea how to assess whether the baby had any spinal injuries, and if I did I wouldn't know how to move her from an upside-down car while minimising the risk of further damage. However emergency services are fully trained to deal with incidents of this kind, and I believe that they'd be able to take some precautions.

I mean, put it this way, if neither of them were badly injured (and whatever about the mother, you certainly wouldn't be able to tell with the baby), then staying in the car for another few minutes - while unpleasant - isn't going to make matters any worse.

But personally I'd find it hard to live with myself if someone ended up paralysed because I took it upon myself to move them rather than waiting for the professionals with the proper expertise and equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Headline a bit misleading, he didn't save them, he helped them out of the car. And sounds like the mother was not trapped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It just sounds like an over-hyped story about not very much. He came upon an overturned car with two largely unhurt people inside and helped them out. It's hard to say whether he made the right choice to move them or not without proper information. Perhaps he deserves some vilification for letting such a self-aggrandising story get run about a nothing incident.

The main thing I take from this thread is a reminder that these days helping people is quite likely to get you sued so think carefully before you bother doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

I woulda drove on, not my problem -

Especially if theres a baby involved - dont need some crazed irrational mother on my shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

/facepalm...

wow.
    I do believe that facepalm should be reversed on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

That story can't be true, women are safe drivers, they never crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

/facepalm...

If someone is ejected from the car, the need to remove them from it diminishes slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Speaking from the filming location in Somerset, Nick said: "When I heard the baby crying my blood ran cold - you wonder what you're going to see. That was fairly terrifying.
    Actually the baby crying should have reassured her. If a baby is crying it's likely hurt/shocked but ok. If the baby is involved in something like that and then isn't crying.....then you start to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

BBC presenter cripples mother from neck down

His actions while in good intent could have given the daily rag a totally different story to peddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Assume neck injury until the xrays >.>

'specially babbys - what with their oversized novelty heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JohnSmith101

^

yup,

As for the whole " he shouldn't have moved her" angle - well I imagine that the nurse at the scene would have been able to make a judgment call on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

"BBC presenter sees distraught child in car crash and fiddles"

Fiddles with who? The mother or the baby?

That is sick.

Advertisement