Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUCK KNIVES?

Options
  • 24-09-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I was in a gun shop recently to buy a new field knife, i priced some buck knives witch were priced at 125 and upwards.
    Just like to know if they are really worth the money or can someone point me to a more reasonably priced knife of similar quality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

maybe the older ones were worth their money,but the newer ones are pure crap I bought a buck nighthawk in the US for $35 and saw it on sale in ireland for 95 eu if you are buying a good quality knife the first thing to go for is the steel that the blade is made from and not the brand name. some of the threads on this forum have better guides to getting a good quality knife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I was in a gun shop recently to buy a new field knife, i priced some buck knives witch were priced at 125 and upwards.
    Just like to know if they are really worth the money or can someone point me to a more reasonably priced knife of similar quality?

A lot of the Schrade and the Muela knives are nice and tidy ranging from €35 to €70 depending on what type you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What sort of work are you doing with the field knife? Rabbits, Deer?
    125 is a bit much for something that could be lost very easily climbing over a fence.
    Lots of guys I know use Opinels as field knives, the carbon steel ones hold a great edge and the blade locks securely.
    You can get them from tiny to nearly machete size,however #6-7 seems to be the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

it will be mostly deer i will be using it for, im living in tipp so do you by any chance know where i can get these opinel knives?
    thanks for the info so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am in Cork, If you want one I can send you one, I think they are about 7euro or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i use a buck 110 folder ,the finest knife ever made for the money.

i had to get a new blade on it after many years of use and many deer ,buck charged me 10 dollars for the post and the work .

you could shave your self with it now .

the sports man gun centure have them for @35 pounds i think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cold Steel is another one worth their money..The Bushman or mini Bushman must be imo one of the best value for money knives around..
    Ebay or Eu prices are better than here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Where abouts is that sports man shop jw,, do they have much gear for shooting and ammo

ronn wrote: »
    Where abouts is that sports man shop jw,, do they have much gear for shooting and ammo

google them there huge and sterling is not to bad at the min,

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

Buck knives are not worth the money...no way.
    Opinel knives are good but you have to mind them as they rust easy but very easy to put an edge on them. For 7 yoyos you cant go wrong..:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

foxhunter wrote: »
    .............the Muela knives are nice and tidy ranging from €35 to €70 depending on what type you're looking for.

+1 on the Muela. Have a few myself for every type of activity. Reasonable price, good quality.

http://www.huntingeasy.com/knives.htm
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ronboy wrote: »
    Buck knives are not worth the money...no way.
    Opinel knives are good but you have to mind them as they rust easy but very easy to put an edge on them. For 7 yoyos you cant go wrong..:)

opinel knives are what they are cheep thin bladed knife that are easy to put a edge on and easier to losses it.

they rust and the when the wood swells you will want a vice grip to open it .i have 4 or 5 of them for pocket knifes ,thats what there are a handy cheap knife with no purpose

if your looking for a tool that will last the test of time get a buck 110.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

jwshooter wrote: »
    opinel knives are what they are cheep thin bladed knife that are easy to put a edge on and easier to losses it.

they rust and the when the wood swells you will want a vice grip to open it .i have 4 or 5 of them for pocket knifes ,thats what there are a handy cheap knife with no purpose

if your looking for a tool that will last the test of time get a buck 110.

+1 on that JW. Best knife ever made by far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Look at macadam on the Shooting for sale has some beautiful knives for sale including a lovely Buck, just bought two from him and are incredible,there are pictures on his add.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Look at macadam on the Shooting for sale has some beautiful knives for sale including a lovely Buck, just bought two from him and are incredible,there are pictures on his add.

I took the winchester off him tonight, and have have to say to buck is a lovely knife, I had to keep my distance from it or I would have spent more that I planned againg:) Well worth having a looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I have a Buck 10 years, cost 45 dollars. Its easy to sharpen, and keeps a good edge.

The handle is a bit too flashy looking for me, lots of silver...a bit O.T.T.

Its a great knife, done lots of whittling, and preparing rabits, fish etc.
    Overpriced here in Ireland.

Advertisement