Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk Mail

Options
  • 24-09-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello

I am Sick and tired of Junk Mail constantly coming to my letter box everyday these days and I want to put a stop to it,

I have came up with an idea over the past few days and I think that it might work to reduce or even stop this constant flow of rubbish to my green bin.

The Only thing I have seen on the Market now to stop people putting Junk Mail in your letter box is a Brass Plated Sign That says “NO JUNK MAIL" but this does nothing in most cases as most of the people employed to distribute the junk mail can’t read the signs.

I have come up with a Pictograph Design, like a No Litter Sign which would be about 100mm by 100mm

I have copyright and Trademark on the Design.

So what I want to know is do you think this is a good idea

And would people be interested in giving there opion on the idea as product research.

All comments Wellcome
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

not a good idea for 2 main reasons

1. This product already exists. You can buy no junk mail signs from spar shops i believe

2. Most people wont pay for this. I like most of my neighbours have stuck handwritten signs inside our porch doors and they do the trick.

why pay for something that you can do yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

D3PO wrote: »
    not a good idea for 2 main reasons

1. This product already exists. You can buy no junk mail signs from spar shops i believe

2. Most people wont pay for this. I like most of my neighbours have stuck handwritten signs inside our porch doors and they do the trick.

why pay for something that you can do yourself ?

Agree on both points, I'm afraid.

This may be of interest: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055636156

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

EWJim wrote: »
    That says “NO JUNK MAIL" but this does nothing in most cases as most of the people employed to distribute the junk mail can’t read the signs.

I have a feeling that, no matter how poor or non existant their english is, the poor feckers employed to deliver pizza menus know what those signs mean and are putting through the leaflets regardless (otherwise they'd have to go back to base with most of their leaflets undelivered and face a b*llocking or spend the whole day wandering round trying to find houses on their patch they can deliver to) . Or are told to ignore them and put them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS
    I HAD A LOOK AT THE WEB SITE MENTIONED IN THE FIRST POST,

ITS PROBABLEY NOT GOING TO GET OF THE GROUND.

ON TO THE NEXT IDEA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Keep going- you might have to come up with 10-20 ideas before you hit on one with decent potential- but if you find that one idea- it can change your life.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling that, no matter how poor or non existant their english is, the poor feckers employed to deliver pizza menus know what those signs mean and are putting through the leaflets regardless (otherwise they'd have to go back to base with most of their leaflets undelivered and face a b*llocking or spend the whole day wandering round trying to find houses on their patch they can deliver to) . Or are told to ignore them and put them through.

Well Ive hadno junk mail delivered for the last 4 months since putting up the sign.

the only thing that I got in was some of those charity bags and 1 political leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Well Ive hadno junk mail delivered for the last 4 months since putting up the sign.

Hmmm, I'll have to try that. Since I moved out of the city, I've been getting s***loads of junk mail compared to what I used to get in the city center... would be nice to see it reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have a no junk mail sign and it cuts out 95% of the crap. It really works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

A friend of mine says he puts maggots into the return addressed envelopes and sends them off. yuck. It doesnt stop them sending them but he says if we all did this nobody would ever last in the job of opening those envelopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

gdael wrote: »
    A friend of mine says he puts maggots into the return addressed envelopes and sends them off. yuck. It doesnt stop them sending them but he says if we all did this nobody would ever last in the job of opening those envelopes.

And what does that solve? The people opening those envelopes aren't in charge of making any decisions. The people that are will just hire someone else, secure in the knowledge that they'll never actually owe anybody any employment rights for having been employed more than 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Xiney wrote: »
    And what does that solve? The people opening those envelopes aren't in charge of making any decisions. The people that are will just hire someone else, secure in the knowledge that they'll never actually owe anybody any employment rights for having been employed more than 12 months.

Obviously is is cost effective for them to spam us right now?

Maybe if most people sent back that envelope with rubbish in it it would become uneconomical to pay people to send or open them. Then they would stop sending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I wrote "No adverts, leaflets or free newspapers" and stuck it up on my slide door yesterday. Let's see how that goes this week. :rolleyes: And if that doesn't work after a few weeks, I'm sending off to
    http://www.dublinwaste.ie/block_junk_mail.html

I do wish the mailers targeted their audience properly instead of doing a big mass leaflet dump. The majority of leaflets I currently receive are of absolutely no use or relevance to me whatsoever and they just go straight into the recycling.

I wrote "No adverts, leaflets or free newspapers" and stuck it up on my slide door yesterday. Let's see how that goes this week. :rolleyes: And if that doesn't work after a few weeks, I'm sending off to
    http://www.dublinwaste.ie/block_junk_mail.html

I do wish the mailers targeted their audience properly instead of doing a big mass leaflet dump. The majority of leaflets I currently receive are of absolutely no use or relevance to me whatsoever and they just go straight into the recycling.

Im confident you will see a marked improvement this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

What's the big issue with junk mail. Just pick it up, put in bin and continue with life. Not really worth getting too upset about, or even slightly upset.

beeno67 wrote: »
    What's the big issue with junk mail. Just pick it up, put in bin and continue with life. Not really worth getting too upset about, or even slightly upset.

so you dont mind if we all post it onto you then ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

so you dont mind if we all post it onto you then ? ;)

Well if you find it easier to package it all up, put it in an envelope, bring to post office, weigh it, and pay for postage, sure go ahead. Still think it is easier to bend down, pick up, put in bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

going to put up the drawing that i done online if people want it, i think its a good design.

will put a post up when i get it on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jondo12

One of the problems with junk mail is that when visibly built up on the floor or hanging out of the letterbox it is a sign that nobody is home. Of course the worst of the lot is the phone book / golden pages propped up beside your front door in the summer time when people are most likely to be away. I boycott all businesses etc. who put literature on my property apart from the official post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes, I wonder if those golden pages/phone books are redundant now considering most people have the net. I think it's about 2 years since I last consulted a physical phone directory - I usually just go onto eircom.ie or a business's own website to get the number. For personal or individual contacts, most people will likely call their mobile which is not on the landline directories. They should have an opt in service where only those people who want directories should request them and it be assumed that no-one else wants them. I keep throwing them away as soon as I get them.

I must put up a no junk sign too as I'm getting tonnes of rubbish and someone raised a good point about it being an obvious clue you are away when it starts to build up. I get far more junk mail then solicited mail.

Finally, kudos to Mizzoni Pizza (I think) who had something on their flyers saying they'd send you a free no junk mail laminated sign if you contact them to request one. Ironic considering flyers are how they generate their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

In most peoples case that means the leaflet is carried from the front door to the back. Which is all the time the leaflet is looking for (according to someone I know in that trade). If it hasn't managed to sell it's wares by then then that's fine with the leaflet company.

As you yourself demonstrate with your 'majority' it makes sense to stick cheap-as-chips leaflets through doors.

I've got a "No Leaflets Please" sticker up and it's cut back 95% of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Will release hounds on you if you put spam through my door".

Put a motion detector on the inside of the letterbox, which triggers the sound of dogs if anything gets put through :P

=-=

I like then spam, esp the buy one, get one free pizza offers :D

Also, when I once delivered leaflets, I didn't care about the no junk mail, as I I knew that if the house was rang and said they didn't get the leaflets, I may be out of a part-time job (that paid 1p per leaflet). As I enjoyed my £20 pay, I put leaflets in all letterboxes, or porches where there was no letterboxes, or where there was no letterboxes or porches, I'd get creative, and stick it under the door...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Cause you have to pay for your bins & weight when you put them out.

Might not make much difference but its the principle of it.

I dont want your rubbish leaflets put through my door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Ah the memories, I delivered flyers & free newspapers for about 3 years.
    In fairness, I never minded seeing those signs as I knew I wouldn't be reported for not delivering the paper.
    The distribution companies do spot checks out of the phone book to make sure you've covered your area.
    I actually had people people chase me down the street to hand me back the paper/flyers & give out about receiving it.
    I used too give them some Polish gibberish so they'd just leave it.

Certain estates are ripe for flyer delivery.
    The first thing the delivery boy looks out for is a lack of walls between houses, this is mana from heaven, god bless the celtic tiger where builders cut back on everything non-essential like walls between your neighbours.
    If you live in one of these estates you're going to get raped with flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Certain estates are ripe for flyer delivery.
    The first thing the delivery boy looks out for is a lack of walls between houses, this is mana from heaven, god bless the celtic tiger where builders cut back on everything non-essential like walls between your neighbours.
    If you live in one of these estates you're going to get raped with flyers.
    Aye. Also, the houses with a one foot high fence, with the section next to the house 5 foot high to stop such activity :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I forgot about the mother load, the apartment complex with 40 post boxes all on one wall . . . . . .

http://blog.rifftrax.com/wp-content/uploads/homer-drooling.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I recently saw a sign with "No junk mail or free newspapers". :)

Advertisement