Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best camera shop in dublin

Options
  • 24-09-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Ok so my birthday is coming up and people are askin me what i would like. Now as i am trying to get in phtography i was thinking of asking for vouchers for a camera shop. Now i remember a great one just of the left of grafton street when walking towards trinity. Behind brown tomas maybe?? Does anyone know what this shop is called?

Also what shop in dublin and/or galway(live in sligo) would you recommend for service, value for money and advice for a beginner aswell as variety of product.

frAg

for some reason the name jessops just popped into my head. is that the shop or am i way of??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You thinking of Conns?

you could always get people to buy you vouchers for pixmania.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There are some good shops around Dublin.

If i were to reccommend one it would have to be Gunns on Wexford Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

frag420 wrote: »

Also what shop in dublin and/or galway(live in sligo) would you recommend for service, value for money and advice for a beginner aswell as variety of product.

frAg

Gunnes !
    Wexford street, pretty much opposite Whelens.

/thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! that was some quick replies. cheers guys.

Steve 06. I would prefer to go into a shop and talk to them about the product first and get some advice before buying anything. Thatnks anyways

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Gunnes is your place so, they are brilliant. On the few dealings I've had with them, they've always been very helpful. They even let me take a lens out onto the road to take some shots with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd also recommend John Gunn on Wexford street. They're brilliant to deal with, and decent prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Do gunnes have a website?? I have tried to find one but no joy?

Nope, they don't. They're just a small shop.

But, they know their cameras, and can talk to you about anything photographic, with knowledge, unlike many other shops. They are down to earth and always a pleasure to deal with.

And, their prices are competive with any other shop in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Yep Gunns, there is no other ...

John Gunn Camera Shop, 16 Wexford Street, Dublin 2, 01 4781226

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Gunnes !
    Wexford street, pretty much opposite Whelens.

/thread :D

Best rates and nicest people!!

indeed /thread!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

TimAy wrote: »
    Gunnes is your place so, they are brilliant. On the few dealings I've had with them, they've always been very helpful. They even let me take a lens out onto the road to take some shots with it!

Thanks for the suggestion.:)
    Anyone know their opening times?

Was in Berminghams the other day and they said, "if they open the box on the D90 I'd have to buy it".
    So ya cant even get a feel of it before dropping over a grand.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Gunnes, Gunnes, Gunnes!!!

only place to shop, browse, chat in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I think Berminghams is the best shop, ask for Brian Og tell him I sent ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Masada wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion.:)
    Anyone know their opening times?

Gunns are usually open between 10 and 5, monday to saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I think Berminghams is the best shop, ask for Brian Og tell him I sent ya!

It's not a very friendly store though is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have no bad experiences with Berminghams... I got some stuff there a few months back, and the sales guy was very helpful and friendly. Tried out some lenses, got some advice, and he knew what he was talking about.

duffarama wrote: »
    It's not a very friendly store though is it? :rolleyes:

Have to agree. Any time I've been in looking for stuff, I almost had to drag information out of them.

At least in Gunn's, they are very helpful and will go out of their way to assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Another vote for Gunn's, it's not only the niced shop, but for most things also the cheapest one (at least the times I looked around).
    The only drawback is that they don't have a website and are closed on a Bankholiday Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Another drawback, for some, would be that they only stock Nikon and Canon DSLR's.

A plus however is that they stock new Fuji medium format film Rangefinders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dstaff

I have to recommend Mac Sweeney's on Dawson Street, they are really helpful and know their stuff. Was looking at a 500D and they let me try it out, amazing! Even got free prints when I got it!

As far as i know they're open 9-6 Monday to Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

frag420 wrote: »

Adverts.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

i'd always use john gunn, find them to be the cheapest and the most personal, friendly family. agree that bermingham aren't the friendliest and does anyone else find conns a bit scary?! there's a manager in there who's always yelling at the staff and it's a real sell sell sell type of shop

gunns made a website recently johngunn dot ie, but it's still a bit bare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It is a bit bare but it's a start. I think it's something they have been missing until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Gunns is the place, ask for Catherine. Tell her what kit you want and she will phone or write with the best price in Dublin. I priced a d3oo and a couple of lenses in the other shops she beat them all by a mile. I have got all my gear there and would not consider going anywhere else. As for that shower in Birminghams .. word fail me

jjoconnor wrote: »
    i'd always use john gunn, find them to be the cheapest and the most personal, friendly family. agree that bermingham aren't the friendliest and does anyone else find conns a bit scary?! there's a manager in there who's always yelling at the staff and it's a real sell sell sell type of shop

Yup, the constant asking "can i help you" gets pretty annoying.

I'll hopefully be making a trip to Gunns this coming weekend, it sounds like it'll be worth the trip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Another recommendation for Gunn's here. I'm living in cork at the moment, but I travel up to Dublin to buy any new kit from them. Fantastic prices, and they are always a pleasure to speak to. The best and most friendly sales staff I have come across in any store, let alone photography stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Another vote from John Gunns, Can't go wrong with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 theshiels

gunn's are actually open 9 to 6 monday to saturday. It's handy they're open so early, pop in when it's quiet before work, nip out slightly early and collect stuff in on the way home! either way, they're the nicest people in any shop i've ever come across. So helpfull, so obliging. Damn good prices too. A good selection of films too (and all your digital lark i think, no idea!). Sorted!

Jeez, I must point them to this thread when i drop down on sat, Might get me a discount on this alone. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ha, it's like a Gunn's love in! :)

I usually buy online but have been dealing with them over the phone the past little while trying to get my hands on a new compact that's only new out and they've (I think it's Catherine I've been talking to) been really, really pleasant and helpful. I'm actually looking forward to giving them some business!

Advertisement