Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best camera shop in dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Gunns all the way!

The scary guy in conns is the owner - I mailed them about a year ago looking for a quote and they replied with some ridiculous price (like they always are).
    I replied that they were way too expensive and that I'd prob just get it in Gunns for cheaper. The owner replied:

"Thanks for coming back to us.
    If gunns cannot supply the equipment within the timeframe or at the prices they tendered at , our prices will hold as we have the gear in stock
    Also if you need sensor cleaning we can provide dry dust cleans while you wait for only €50 and wet dust cleans for €100.
    Our loan fleet doubles up as a hire fleet so if you run in to trouble we can hire you any of the gear . these services are free with items purchased from us but the subsidised pricing is available to you and we would be delighted to provide the service to you if gunns are still your best option for purchase.
    Regards m*** c***"

They have a neck like a jockey's Ball*x

So long story short it's Gunns all the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

for odd types, in fact any type of film and filters and other accessorys, there is no better place then gunns.

However i'm waiting for them to start stocking sonys, last time i was in there the woman (katherine?) said they were seriously considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Gunn's by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Gunn's by a country mile. For service, friendliness, prices and knowledge I can't think of a better shop of any kind in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Gunns sound great, so I'm assuming they let you get a feel for potential purchases?

I was in PC World today, and happened to pick up a few of their cameras and noticed immediately that some felt far more comfortable in my hands than others. I can read reviews til the cows come home, but it would be essential for me to be able to get hands on with my very first DSLR purchase, so that I know it "feels" right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Interesting,I've been in Gunns loads of times but never bought anything, I do agree though it's a pleasant kind of place. I've bought quite a few things in Conns over the years,apart from spending 2 grand on a D60 back in the day it hasn't been all bad*. They even ordered a very expensive Sigma lens for me once,let me bring it outside on a body,and even smiled when I said no thanks,it's too heavy :cool:

*I could never part with it for that reason,2K and it's now worth thruppence hapeny, it will be buried with me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dubtom wrote: »
    Interesting,I've been in Gunns loads of times but never bought anything, I do agree though it's a pleasant kind of place. I've bought quite a few things in Conns over the years,apart from spending 2 grand on a D60 back in the day it hasn't been all bad*. They even ordered a very expensive Sigma lens for me once,let me bring it outside on a body,and even smiled when I said no thanks,it's too heavy :cool:

*I could never part with it for that reason,2K and it's now worth thruppence hapeny, it will be buried with me.

a d60 for 2k... WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Gunns for me too. Didn't like the attitudes in a lot of other shops; understandably, retail shops are far more expensive than online but in my view, the only way to justify that is through genuinely exceptional service, which is what Gunns provides, uniquely.

Having said that I've found the best shop in Dublin to be Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

a d60 for 2k... WTF

probably talking about the canon d60 not the nikon d60

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

landyman wrote: »
    probably talking about the canon d60 not the nikon d60
    Yes a canon,there's a nikon d60?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

mrboswell wrote: »
    The scary guy in conns is the owner - I mailed them about a year ago looking for a quote and they replied with some ridiculous price (like they always are).

last time i was in there he was actually swearing at the staff, i used to get the odd thing in there because i got good prices after hire costs on lenses were taken away but i'm done now - i'd rather pay more in gunns just to give them the custom.

otherwise gunns seem to have the lowest prices on everything, including medium format films. i hope they get the website going soon

Advertisement