Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coir under fire over euthanasia scare tactic

Options
  • 24-09-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Thursday September 24 2009

Coir, the extreme Catholic group, has came under attack for scaring older people into believing that euthanasia will become law in Ireland if the Lisbon Treaty is adopted in next month's referendum.

A new Coir ad and poster campaign launched yesterday claimed that Lisbon effectively provides a backdoor for the introduction of euthanasia to Ireland. And Coir spokeswoman Niamh Ui Bhriain said the treaty would give EU courts the right to decide on abortion and euthanasia.

But last night, Senator Phil Prendergast, the Labour Party spokesperson on older people, accused Coir of "scaremongering" and called on the body to desist from its cynical campaign of inventing "misrepresentations . . . and downright lies".

He added: "The last thing older people need is to be subject to a campaign by a shadowy organisation designed to scare and confuse them in the run-up to the referendum."

- John Cooney

From today's indo. Not that anyone will be surprised.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

meglome wrote: »
    From today's indo. Not that anyone will be surprised.

they should have labeled them

Extreme Fundamentalist Religious group

since the Catholic Church is supportive of Lisbon

and what about UKIP? they also use the EUthanasia meme in their brochure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    they should have labeled them

Extreme Fundamentalist Religious group

or even Fascist Cult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

or even Fascist Cult?

arent Fascist's anti religious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Hey, I put a question mark after it!
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Well Coir do expound some of the core (!) tenets of Fascism. These include a restriction on free (dissenting) speech and a desire to dictate what moral values and/or actions people can adopt. Fundamentally they seek to control what other people do and think so as to align with what they consider "good" things to do and think.

Which, when one considers that their campaign is based on stopping the EU supposedly controlling us, is quite ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

ei.sdraob wrote: »

since the Catholic Church is supportive of Lisbon

Actually to be fair I think the official policy is to be neutral, and tell Catholics they can vote whatever way they want. Some church leaders have gone further and endorsed Lisbon.

What I find odd about Coir is that it is so out of step with the Church that it itself is supposedly linked to. So out of step that if I could put Richard Greene on the spoint, I'd press him on whether he was considering creating a breakaway sect from the Roman Catholic church.

I heard him on the radio a few days ago claiming that the church's recent comments "referred quite rightly to the current EU situation" and not to the post Lisbon scenario, which is of course a direct lite since those comments were meant to assure Catholics that a post Lisbon EU did not endanger the Catholic lines in the sand.

So, if the guy is lying about the Church's position, and disagreeing with the Church's views, what the heck is he doing in the Church at all?

Ix.

Advertisement