Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To all those who have been in Bangkok recently

• 24-09-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Anyone know any good budget accommodation within 15mins walk of KSR. Air-con is a must and room condition next. Looking in and around 300-400B for a double or the 150-200 for dorm?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

We were in Bangkok for nearly six weeks combined when we traveled in SE Asia, we stayed in some nice places and two total dives (no choice, arrived in really late off bus and missed all the good rooms).

Of all the places we stayed this is the one we plan to return to and it's in your price range.
    http://www.lamphuhouse.com/default.htm
    It's really close to KSR but the best thing about it is is that is has it's own courtyard up a lane so there are no annoying tuktuks outside. The lane into the courtyard is beside the 7/11 on Rambutri. It was brand new four years ago when we stayed there and the reviews on trip adviser suggest it has developed well. You might be able to book it in advance by ringing but i'd imagine you'd have to be there by a certain time the day you arrive.
    There's another place beside it that's very popular, it has a pool but is a couple of euro more which makes a difference over a few months; oh, haggling over cents, the memories.

Oh god, i'd love to be back in Bangkok, a good book and a beer in hand.
    Hope that helps.

I forgot to mention that if you get a fan room that facing the river, it's as good as AC. The cool river air and the fan made it a very comfy room, sometimes AC can be too much and it's more expensive. Plus the on-suite shower was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Khao San Palace was pretty cheap. That's on KSR. Or if you go up the KSR and try on the left or right down the alley ways you can find ones with cheap air con. I stayed in 2 different ones for 400 a night for a 2 bedroom one. It was down a side alley but was grand inside. Can't remember the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Cool. Cheers

By the way, can anyone recommend a sim card that can receive texts from Ireland. The places I have got sim cards (Argentina & Malaysia) could not receive texts from Irish mobiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

in Thailand? 1 2 call freedom sim. I normally use the AIS operator and i can text and receive no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

+1 for Lamphu House. Book very far in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

darrenh wrote: »
    Cool. Cheers

By the way, can anyone recommend a sim card that can receive texts from Ireland. The places I have got sim cards (Argentina & Malaysia) could not receive texts from Irish mobiles.
    Any of the SIM cards will send/receive your texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GlitterFairy

I can second the Koh San Palace - clean, central, and there's a little pool on the roof.

The D & D Inn on KSR is another good central choice, it can be a bit noisey though.

If you were after somewhere a little quieter Rambutri Road is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Stayed in the D+D on the KSR both times I was in Bangkok and can really reccommend the place, great for a party.

The second time we were there though the pool was closed for renovations which kinda sucked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lezahann

stayed in the D&D inn on KSR both times i was in bangkok, cheap, cheerful and clean!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is boards.ie sponsored by D&D inn? I'm a little suspicious at how often it gets recommended here.

:P

• Advertisement

I had stayed in D&D before and although its not bad it wasn't what i was looking for. I ended up this time in New Joe Guest House just off KSR. Dbl room, with air-con, hot water and even a window for 500b. I went with True mobile who use a company called inter sim which gives me calls to Irish landlines for 1b per minute and 6b for mobiles. 5b for a text. Thanks to all those who replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

if ya head to soi rambuttri (just across from the khao san) theres loadsa clean and cheap places all down the road to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is boards.ie sponsored by D&D inn? I'm a little suspicious at how often it gets recommended here.
    That place is a complete kip, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There's a newly opened place across the road (I can't for the life of me think of the name) that is quality. It was 800 Baht per night so it's out of the OP's price range but D&D were looking for 600 so I was more than happy to pay the extra 200 per night. Khao San Palace is good too. D&D is a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 wannapress

i sent a couple of emails but didnt hear back from either of the mentioned places yet.we arrive in Bangkok at 7am on tuesday is it safe to say just head down KSR we will have have no problem finding somewhere? i have told the misses that i have it all sorted and as usual i have not.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

wannapress wrote: »
    i sent a couple of emails but didnt hear back from either of the mentioned places yet.we arrive in Bangkok at 7am on tuesday is it safe to say just head down KSR we will have have no problem finding somewhere? i have told the misses that i have it all sorted and as usual i have not.....:rolleyes:

Keep trying,even if it means you have to stay in the D&D for a night if booked in advance,you will easily find somewhere by walking up KSR or Rambuttri.There was 3 of us and we found Rambuttri House(I think) to be the best,passed through Bangkok and stayed there twice for a few nights each.Also stayed in the D&D which is great for a party and meeting people,The Green House which I wouldnt rate at all and our upper class option was the Viengtai hotel which was just okay for a hotel.

When you get there,most guest-houses and hotels etc are grand that they can show you the room so dont be afraid to ask end especially dont be afraid to say no if you dont like it!

wannapress wrote: »

I arrived here at 7am this morning. Other than a few hungover tourists there is nothing to worry about. Its as safe as anywhere. I stayed in New Joe Guesthouse. 500B for a double with air con.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 wannapress

Thanks Darren i will try and book New Joes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

you could try the Thai Cozy House - it's about 2 mins away, cheap, clean and friendly!
    Also, i developed some simple rules for myself whilst travelling - never take the 1st room you see - always ask to see at least one more room before you make up your mind.
    Don't be afraid to say no to the room.
    If you've paid for ensuite, then actually test the shower/bath taps and make sure water comes out! Check for hot water, if you've paid for it, it should be there!
    If you've paid for TV, test it. Though why you'd want to be waatching tv when you're on hols, I don't know!
    If you're looking for a quiet room (sometimes you need one!) then look around and ask to make sure it's not over a nightclub!
    Double check the price of the room, and the number of nights you're staying to avoid confusion.

NMoore wrote: »
    you could try the Thai Cozy House - it's about 2 mins away, cheap, clean and friendly!
    Also, i developed some simple rules for myself whilst travelling - never take the 1st room you see - always ask to see at least one more room before you make up your mind.
    If you've paid for ensuite, then actually test the shower/bath taps and make sure water comes out! Check for hot water, if you've paid for it, it should be there!
    If you've paid for TV, test it. Though why you'd want to be waatching tv when you're on hols, I don't know!
    If you're looking for a quiet room (sometimes you need one!) then look around and ask to make sure it's not over a nightclub!
    Double check the price of the room, and the number of nights you're staying to avoid confusion.

Do you have any time left over for traveling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

lol! Yeah, tons. none of that takes more than a few minutes, and it's worth checking little things like that out. I like to try and stay in each place for at least 2 or 3 nights, so it's good to make sure the basic comforts are there and working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

NMoore wrote: »
    darrenh wrote: »
    Do you have any time left over for traveling?

I think a lot of that is pretty standard tbh.

Advertisement