Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEATING QUESTION FOR A PLUMBER

Options
  • 24-09-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

HI. im installing a three zone heat pack in a new build at the moment. so in that pack i should get electrical controls, 3no. motorised valves, 2no. room stats and a cylinder stat. im just wondering where would be the best place to fit the room stats. and also, if they are in , for example, a bedroom , should i just have two normal valves on the rad in that room as the stat should govern the temp of the room anywya. any help on this would be most helpful. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

When my house was built (in 1991) the single room stat was located in the hall, an awful stupid place to put it. But to answer your question, I suggest you have one upstairs and the other downstairs. The one downstairs should be in the room you use the most (i.e the living room). It should be away from sources of cold (i.e. doors and windows) and sources of heat (e.g. cooker, if your living room and kicthen is one area). You also want to locate it away from the radiator(s) so that it senses the average room temperature.

If you have a room with a thermostat then you should not fit TRVs as they will work against the room stat (both trying to control at the same time), just two normal valves as you mentioned.

For upstairs, it's really up to you. Most probably locate it in the Master Bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

youtheman wrote: »
    When my house was built (in 1991) the single room stat was located in the hall, an awful stupid place to put it.

Just wondering who told you the hall ,was a stupid place for a room thermostat ?

youtheman wrote: »
    When my house was built (in 1991) the single room stat was located in the hall, an awful stupid place to put it.

Traditionally in the UK room stats are fitted in halls and sitting rooms in a uniform way, in all the years working there i can honestly say i can't remember a single complaint about the effect on the heating because of the positioning of the room stat, it was only when i started working in Ireland that i came across lots of complaints and i found it was down to basic mistakes in the positioning of the stat, commonly they are fitted by front doors, directly above radiators, fitted to close to the ceiling etc... if a room stat is fitted badly they become a hindrance, if fitted with thought they can work well even in a hall, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Just wondering who told you the hall ,was a stupid place for a room thermostat ?

No one told me, I came to that conclusion myself. I don't live in the hall, so why control the temperature in the hall. If someone opens the front door and a gust of wind comes in a drops the temp then the boiler is working overtime in trying to bring the temp up. Meantime I'm watching t.v. in the other room and passing out with the heat.

I suppose it's down to individual preference where you put the therostat. That's why one of the guys in work used a wireless stat. Whatever room he's using he just brings the thermostat with him.

Advertisement