Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyers....

• 24-09-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anybody let me know if its legal to place flyers on car windshields? Also if so can this be done in a public carpark as in a multi story shopping car park?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

afaik - no

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

it is against the litter laws and you could be fined €125 per leaflet! Also, it is against the law to hand out leaflets on the street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Its litter if someone drops one. You have made an offense and the person who dropped it also has offended. For this you can be fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blondie27

Would it be legal to post in letter boxes?

blondie27 wrote: »
    Would it be legal to post in letter boxes?

Nope, but remember you have only got the time it takes to get the mail, to the time that one puts the flyer in the bin, to convince them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 giveitago

If you feel you must try a flyer drop through letterboxes, i would suggest delivering them early on weekend mornings. More chance of them being read if the recipient is not rushing to work, school run etc.

Thanks for the info. A taxi company placed a flyer in my wipers, to say I was pis*ed off was a complete understatement.

It's tresspassing and obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

1. Itis not illegal to put fliers on car windscreens. Be careful of laws of trespass when going into car parks/
    2. If however a flier is found on the street and judged to be litter and it will be unless you can prove who put/dropped it you will be the person fined. And it aint cheap.
    3. Distribution time no time better than other, early morning fine what if occupants are out all day they still come home to a pile.
    4. Try to use A5 fliers place letter slit/box yourself and attempt in such a way that anyone walking towards the box sees something eyecatching be it a picture or better still low price.
    5. I have a very high success rate with my fliers approx 12% however they are targeted for the area and time of year I also drop every 3 months at least.
    6. I do not use agecnies as a lot of them will drop your leaflets with another 4 or 5 which results generally in all of them ending in the bin.

Good luck

Yes it is legal, the only illegal part is entering property where it says trespassers prohibited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Helen G

Yes I believe it's legal. Think of the amount of junk mail you get - same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

If I place flyers in a shop and someone takes one and throws it on the ground is my business liable?

If the local authority cannot trace anyone else then they could fine you. It is then up to you to prove who is responsible as good as impossible.
    Having said that at least in the Dublin area the council only seem to be going after people when they find a huge number of leaflets (possibly where a distributor has dumed them).
    There is of course the fact that there is a distinct lack of litter wardens!!!

I agree, i'm sure you would only be liable if a large number were found.

They can go after you for one I got done years ago when I was still a nasty anti-social smoking type person, (now I'm just a nasty anti-social type person) by a litter warden for throwing a cigarette end out of a car.
    My gut feeling is that if the local authorituy tried to fine you for one leaflet and you applealed you would probably get off with a warning as the cost, trouble and time involved going to court would be too much. Plus the authorities know in most cases like this whoever is being done pays up including the extra if any at the court doors.

To be on the safe side I would contact the local authority.

Hey I did and this is the response of Dublin City Council:

I refer to your recent e-mail regarding the possibility of being fined if your flyers are taken from a shop and scattered on the street.
    Each case would be taken on its merits but if a litter warden found a number of commercial flyers on the street, the business being advertised WOULD be fined.

Regards,
    Tony Gorman,
    Litter Management Office

Thanks for setting that straight. And I should think that it would be rare that a large number of people would drop the same flyer. People normally only take one if they are interested.

Right?

ehh no!

I emailed again and this is the response

By the letter of the law every flyer found can be fined 150 euros.
    Fines are based on the evidence available to the litter warden. If the only evidence available to him is the flyer itself then you would be correct in assuming that the fine would be directed to the business itself.

Regards,
    Tony.

I dont understand how so many companies use flyers if this is the level of fines imposed.

Here is my finding:

Under the Litter Pollution Acts, it is the
    responsibility of the individual not to
    drop litter on the streets regardless of the source of the material.
    Therefore in both instances outlined, the individual who actually drops
    the item on the street would be liable to an on-the-spot litter fine of
    €150. The issuing of such fines is a matter for your local
    authority.

Advertisement