Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband - Positives - Lucan Area

• 24-09-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hello All,

Does anyone in the Lucan area have UPC broadband? If so how do you find it? I realise there is another UPC thread with 'Avoid at all cost' throughout but obviously you tend to hear about the negatives with companies rather than the positives when the negatives may only be a small small minority of cases.

I'm looking to change from my Eircom 3MB package to UPC 10MB.

In general I don't have an issue with Eircom except for the recent well documented problems. My reason for changing is for money savings. Basically as everyone in the house uses mobile phones and rarely use the house phone I want to drop the phone line completely.

So instead of €50-65 per month for phone and 3MB Broadband with Eircom I'll have no landline and 10MB UPC broadband for €38 per month. (€32 per month if you have UPC TV, which I don't!!)

Also is there any feedback on the shutting down / starting up account process. Will Eircom shut you off the moment you phone them and bill you pro rata for what you owe them? (I'm with them about 7/8 years now)

i.e. do I wait until UPC connect me up tp cancel Eircom? How quick are UPC in hooking you up?

Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hello All,

Does anyone in the Lucan area have UPC broadband? If so how do you find it?
    It's pretty good for the most part. For years it was rock solid, almost never experienced any disconnects or speed drops. However, the service has noticeably deteriorated in the last 6 months. I assume this is due to an increase in customers in the area. I now get the odd disconnect (usually only for a few minutes mind you - last one was a moment ago) and the speed is rarely the advertised 10MB anymore (more like 7/8). I'd still recommend it though.

UPC's broadband and phone is delivered via the tv cable, so you can cancel Eircom whenever you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

It's pretty good for the most part. For years it was rock solid, almost never experienced any disconnects or speed drops. However, the service has noticeably deteriorated in the last 6 months. I assume this is due to an increase in customers in the area. I now get the odd disconnect (usually only for a few minutes mind you - last one was a moment ago) and the speed is rarely the advertised 10MB anymore (more like 7/8). I'd still recommend it though.

UPC's broadband and phone is delivered via the tv cable, so you can cancel Eircom whenever you want.

Thanks SP. The fact that I'll be upgrading from 3MB to 10MB will mean that 7/8MB won't be an issue for me. Theres a PC, laptop and now a PS3 on the go in the house so the little extra speed will be useful. Also I can live with the odd disconnect say once / twice a week but not daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

You'll need to ring them first to find out if it's available for sure...their website is very unrelaible in that regard, sayin BB is available only to find it actually isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Any idea how good it is in the Stillorgan or Blackrock area of Dublin? Good for gaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

dogpile wrote: »
    You'll need to ring them first to find out if it's available for sure...their website is very unrelaible in that regard, sayin BB is available only to find it actually isn't!

good point. i'll give them a shout first.

The PS3 has been brutal last night and this morning on Eircom so I don't think UPC can be any worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement