Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to force customers fill out additional info before paying

Options
  • 24-09-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm setting up a fundraising website, where a group of us will be selling a service (100% of proceeds go to charity) but I'd like buyers to fill out a feedback / additional information form before purchasing (i.e. I'd like to set it up so that they can't finalise payment without first seeing and completing this feedback / additional info form). I'm planning on using Paypal but can't figure out to do this - there seems to be a "notes" option, but this will only take 40 characters of info from buyers as they move through the checkout process.

Is there any way to do this? Any help would be gratefully appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

sorry Im only learning myself so I cant help technically, but I can offer advice as an internet user and someone who has donated to sites.
    Being forced to offer additional information unless it is completely relevent and necessary is very very annoying, and enough to put you off finalizing the purchase/donation.

The internet is getting simpler and quicker, making things more hassle is a no no imo.

Sorry I know I wasnt very helpful but unless you genuinely need that extra info I would leave it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

wylo is spot on.

If you want higher conversion rates, you have to adapt to the customer's preferences and requirements, and minimse what they need to do. Time and time again this kind of forcing users to jump through unnecessary or extra hoops simply results in higher bailout rates. The logs prove that just about every time. Ask for the info before or after the payment process, not during.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Id agree with the two posters above - if a shop demanded i fill out feedback in order to checkout then i wouldnt buy the product.

You can get Paypal to automatically return the buyer to a specific page on your site when the transaction is completed and then ask the user to fill in a feedback form.

This is a much better way of doing it/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gombeen99

Points taken guys, thanks for feedback. Having Paypal return the buyers to a feedback area after purchase&donation sounds like a better option. Thanks.

Advertisement