Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany Ratifies Lisbon

Options
  • 24-09-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭

The last hurdles to German ratification having been cleared away, the German Chancellor will be ratifying tomorrow (link):
    GERMAN RATIFICATION: CHANCELLOR ANGELA Merkel has welcomed Germany’s ratification of the Lisbon Treaty after months of delays and yesterday’s dismissal of a last-minute challenge by the constitutional court.

The Bill anchoring the treaty into German law will be published in Berlin today after being signed into law by President Horst Köhler on Tuesday evening.

Tomorrow, Mr Köhler will sign the treaty charter, which, once deposited in Rome, will make Germany the 24th of 27 EU member states to ratify.

That leaves Poland, Ireland, and Vaclav Klaus.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Did you have a toast with the office staff?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Did you have a toast with the office staff?

Unnecessary and uncalled for snide remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ah, bollocks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Unnecessary and uncalled for snide remark.

Particularly given that my "office staff" consists of my wife.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The last hurdles to German ratification having been cleared away, the German Chancellor will be ratifying tomorrow (link):

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'm sure Klaus will delay long enough for the British to have a referendum also.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

So when will the German tanks roll into Dublin then? Or do they have to wait until Ireland ratifies too?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'm sure Klaus will delay long enough for the British to have a referendum also.;)

So, if it's a Yes vote next Friday, you'd be happy enough to see the will of the Irish people set aside, not by the Irish people, but by one Czech official?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Out of curiosity, is there a time limit for Klaus to say he'll ratify or not, or can he hold off indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

So, if it's a Yes vote next Friday, you'd be happy enough to see the will of the Irish people set aside, not by the Irish people, but by one Czech official?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

What about the will of the other however many million who were denied a vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Not that I need to point this out, but the will of the people only applies in the event of a No.

Didn't you get the memo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

moogester wrote: »
    What about the will of the other however many million who were denied a vote?

The many millions who were 'denied' a vote will have to take it up with their respective governments, who legally ratified Lisbon according to their Constitutional requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭w00t

cordially,
    Scofflaw

There is a country called Vaclav Klaus? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

w00t wrote: »
    There is a country called Vaclav Klaus? :confused:

Before you come on launching a tirade against the Treaty perhaps you should brush up on your knowledge of European politics :rolleyes: instead of making comments like the above, which I can only assume was an attempt at sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭w00t

prinz wrote: »
    Before you come on launching a tirade against the Treaty perhaps you should brush up on your knowledge of European politics :rolleyes: instead of making comments like the above, which I can only assume was an attempt at sarcasm.

I dismiss your comment, for what it is worth. It merits no real response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

prinz wrote: »

Either he has no knowledge of politics or he was being sarcastic...which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

both?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I honestly couldn't come down on one side or the other :confused::pac:

Advertisement