Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxing in limerick

Options
  • 24-09-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

just curious, Ive thought about getting into boxing before, never done anything about it. with work and family life etc the only free time I would have would be lunch time during the working week. Is there any boxing club that would cater for beginners in Limerick that would be open at lunchtime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not a great time for someone just looking for it for keep fit, plus your hours are not club friendly.

I am right to presume that it would be for keeping fit and for recreational reasons? Also you did not say what age you are or what side of town you are in.

St. Francis Boxing Club - Marian Moore 061 422244/087-2457653
    Corpus Christi - Declan Fitzgerald 086 8211258

They would be the two best clubs in Limerick, but I would be almost 100% that they would have nothing like what you are looking for.

Who you might try getting in touch with is Martin Daly at the Lady Of Lourdes ABC on 087 9676635. Martin is a good sort and even if there is nothing there for you, he should be able to point you in the right direction if there is something out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks for the swift feedback guys! - I realise its probably not going to be feasable with these hours, but they are unfortunately the only spare time I have, every evening my kids are doing different activities!
    In terms of myself, I work around the Steamboat Quay area, so city centre area really, Im reasonably fit (mostly I do swimming, and some running/cycling/gym work), Im in my mid 40s, and while getting fit would be part of it I would also actually like to try boxing.
    I did karate when I was younger (1st dan shotokan) and enjoyed the sparring part of karate a lot....

Your age is very much against you with any of the Limerick clubs I'm afraid.

Why not consider something like white collar boxing? It would see you getting trained, plus getting ring time, and you would only be matched with guys your own age and more importantly, of the same size and skill set.

This is in Dublin, but they may be able to let you know if anyone is running it down here, or it may convince you to take it up through them.

Basically you train for a set time and the training ends with you going in ring with someone else of similar age/strength etc as the end of your time with them.

http://www.whitecollarboxing.ie/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks kes73. Didnt think I was old just yet! Im flexible, prepared to try anything really, although I have never heard of "white collar boxing", whats that?!

Have a look through the link I put up and it will explain it in detail for you. Basically it is a way for those with little or no boxing experience to train like a boxer and get some carefully matched ring time at the end of it.

In boxing terms you are old I'm afraid. :D Especially as you have no ring experience to fall back upon. In a town/city with a larger population, the clubs would be able to cater more for those who want to join just to keep fit, or for some non competitive ring time, but in Limerick with limited budgets and even more limited club opening times, they just cannot cater for the more casual market, which you would fall under.

During my time in Germany, and in the UK, especially when I was directly involved with the SABA, the larger cities did cater for what you are looking for, but it all came down to there being a market for it that made it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

banjobongo wrote: »
    just curious, Ive thought about getting into boxing before, never done anything about it. with work and family life etc the only free time I would have would be lunch time during the working week. Is there any boxing club that would cater for beginners in Limerick that would be open at lunchtime?

If you just want to do some boxing training you could go to Olympic Gold in John St. They have a small room with a speedball and boxing bags/pads and you don't have to join up or anything just pay for a gym session €6. You would be using this equipment yourself i.e. there wouldn't be a boxing trainer there but I'm sure some of the members would help you out if you needed guidance.

All of the boxing clubs operate at night so this might be your best bet.

Advertisement