Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD2 (Leo)

Options
  • 24-09-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

It seems that the Palm Pre isn't the only handset O2 will be releasing in the first few weeks of October. Engadget have a reliable tip that O2 will be releasing the HTC HD2 on 12th October; this information is reportedly on O2's intranet site.

Even if this isn't true, the HTC HD2 has some very interesting specifications:

- 4.3" capacitive touchscreen (first ever on a Windows Mobile device)
    - 1GHz Snapdragon CPU
    - Windows Mobile 6.5

The above features are backed up by the following standard features for high-end devices:

- 5 MP camera
    - HSDPA
    - A-GPS
    - Wi-Fi
    - 3.5 mm audio port

There's some further reading here and here.

gsmarena_004.jpg

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's a beast of a phone, in every sense, possibly too big. I'm not a hater of Winmo - there really is a lot of irrational hatred from people who've never even used it - I'd rather this had android.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It's a beast of a phone, in every sense, possibly too big. I'm not a hater of Winmo - there really is a lot of irrational hatred from people who've never even used it - I'd rather this had android.

I know what you mean. I like Windows Mobile and the wealth of features and programs available, however, Android is constantly being updated with more and more innovative features. Windows Mobile, on the other hand, seems to be playing a constant game of catchup that it's unlikely to ever win. The HTC HD2 does go some way in catching up, but it's more the hardware that's appealing than the OS.

It appears that there's some evidence to backup Engadget's previous claim that the HTC HD2 (Leo) would be released on O2 UK. Engadget have a picture of some O2 documentation regarding postpaid pricing which looks very legit.

It has been confirmed that O2 UK are releasing the HTC HD2 next month. Engadget have a image of the O2 brochure displaying same.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been using Windows Mobile for the last 6 years now (I had a Motorola MPX200, imate SP3i, imate SP5 and and HTC S710).

After using Android on the Hero for the last few months, I'm never going back.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    I've been using Windows Mobile for the last 6 years now (I had a Motorola MPX200, imate SP3i, imate SP5 and and HTC S710).

After using Android on the Hero for the last few months, I'm never going back.

While I admit Windows Mobile has its faults, Windows Mobile 6.5, and eventually Windows Mobile 7, will no doubt address the shift in balance that has occurred as a result of Apple and Palm's recent success with their respective mobile platforms.

I am far from being a Windows Mobile apologist, as I have used a variety of different mobile platforms over the years, and still do, however, given the recent accomplishments of the TouchFlo 3D and TouchWiz UI by HTC and Samsung, respectively, there is still hope for Microsoft's platform yet, regardless of whether the new Windows Mobile versions change much upon their release.

Engadget Spain have a hands-on with the HD2 and it's looking to be an excellent device.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Any word on putting Android on this?

Trojan wrote: »

I'd say someone on XDA developers will be trying that as soon as the handset is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Trojan wrote: »
    Rsaeire wrote: »
    I'd say someone on XDA developers will be trying that as soon as the handset is avaiable.

How does this tickle you? ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/05/htc-dragon-android-device-surfaces-in-firmware-build-could-pack/

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    I saw that link too. At least it looks as if those wanting their Android fix on a HTC device with similar specs to the Leo won't be left out in the cold. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭garethmc

Anyone know if the HD2 will be available through O2 Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I'd rather this had android.

Why? what does android do that Windows Mobile 6.5 doesn't do. Both version would use the Sense UI

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

thats quite an impressive device, Windows 7 mobile is rumoured to be released in Q1 2010 or Q3. sounds expensive though... any word from o2 ireland ?

GSMArena have their review up.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    GSMArena have their review up.

Thought I'd upload a picture of how good the HD display is, you can actually read that website without any zooming on the HTC HD2. :)

untitled-1.jpg

and here's how boards.ie looks in portrait mode (side view) on the HTC HD2

untitled-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Hmmm this or the hero which to go for?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

Hi Guys, I dont mean to hijack this thread, was looking at the hd2 for a few weeks now and would really like to have it. Am currently using an N97. It looks like it is going to be too expensive for me at the moment (R) word.I am also looking at the diamond touch, does anyone know about them. Are they any good, and how might it compare to the 97.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ollie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

OllieNorth wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I dont mean to hijack this thread, was looking at the hd2 for a few weeks now and would really like to have it. Am currently using an N97. It looks like it is going to be too expensive for me at the moment (R) word.I am also looking at the diamond touch, does anyone know about them. Are they any good, and how might it compare to the 97.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ollie

HD2 is way ahead technology wise. The Diamond 2 and Pro 2 are the HTC alternatives. The only significant other choice besides a HD2 is the Nokia N900. HD2 is still light years ahead of anythign else on the market though (CPU, screen, etc., ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

So is expansys UK the cheapest place to purchase (assuming you have an accessible UK address ;) )?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Why did htc chose to put winmo on this instead of android?? Surely they would sell way more units if it hand android?

I know the passion/ dragon has similar spec with android, but the actual hardware is way more pleasing on the HD hd2..Pity..

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Why did htc chose to put winmo on this instead of android?? Surely they would sell way more units if it hand android?

I know the passion/ dragon has similar spec with android, but the actual hardware is way more pleasing on the HD hd2..Pity..

It's amied at bussiness users that's why it's got WinMo installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Would recommend people try out a windows mobile phone before buying.

I have the HTC touch diamond 2.

On paper looks great but would say that windows mobile is too buggy, frequently freezing and many other bugs that if anyone wants to know about they can PM me. It might be my handset but I would excercise caution and try one out before forking out for one.

PoleStar wrote: »
    Would recommend people try out a windows mobile phone before buying.

I have the HTC touch diamond 2.

On paper looks great but would say that windows mobile is too buggy, frequently freezing and many other bugs that if anyone wants to know about they can PM me. It might be my handset but I would excercise caution and try one out before forking out for one.

This thread is about HTC HD2 not HTC Touch Diamond 2 or an older version of windows. The HTC Touch Diamond uses Windows 6.1 the HD2 runs on Windows 6.5

GigaByte wrote: »
    This thread is about HTC HD2 not HTC Touch Diamond 2 or an older version of windows. The HTC Touch Diamond uses Windows 6.1 the HD2 runs on Windows 6.5

Hahaha, don't even try to imply that there's an OS-saving difference between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

GigaByte wrote: »

The touch diamond has 6.1.

I have a touch diamond 2 with windows mobile 6.5.

While it aint a HD2 (yes I aint actually dumb), the OS is the same. And thus again I will say that for those that havent used windows mobile before, it would be an idea to try it out first before buying. This I feel is especially important if buying from the likes of expansys.

I have had both 6.1 and 6.5 on the device. Both of which dont run as smoothly as other operating systems on phones, having had experience with blackberrys, symbian, iphone and now HTC with windows mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

just a quick word about winmo.

I have Touch HD and ran both winmo 6.1 and now 6.5 on it. Both run beautifully, like any win os, probs can be down to drivers, third party compatability etc. winmo is brilliant - thousands of apps out there, you can develope your own so easily in Visual Studio and there are thoudands of forums not least XDA Developers for all that beaut customization.

Dont be scared of winmo,

PoleStar wrote: »
    I have had both 6.1 and 6.5 on the device. Both of which dont run as smoothly as other operating systems on phones, having had experience with blackberrys, symbian, iphone and now HTC with windows mobile.

You may have installed 6.5 but you still cannot compare it to the HTC HD2 with a capacitive touchscreen running the Sence UI with a 1ghz processor, this thing flys along.

On the HTC HD2 I have here it runs super smooth and judging from the reviews and youtube clips its seems to be running very smoothly for them as well. It hasn't crashed once since I've had it. If you get a chance to have a look at it you too may be suprised at how well it runs.

The only problem with WinMo is its UI and HTC have take care of that by making there own UI which is excellent, you wouldn't even notice WinMo. It won't be long before it gets its first award.

There isn't a phone out there yet that I'd swap this one for. :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement