Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD2 (Leo)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

They seem to have reduced the prices of upgrades so hopefully something will be announced this month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Hope so, a release in the next few weeks is only thing to stop me leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jiminho

yogidc26 wrote: »
    O2 are going to have them in store from Tue\Wed on.
    Where did you get that from curiously. And any word on pricing? im assuming itl be kinda iphone prcing for bill pay

Would say it'll be more than the iPhone.

jiminho wrote: »
    Where did you get that from curiously. And any word on pricing? im assuming itl be kinda iphone prcing for bill pay

I think they made it up :( I would imagine it will be more than the iphone.

• Advertisement

Update: Was just browsing through the O2 forum pages and one of the customer reps say they are currently looking at the phone and are expecting a release some time this month.

All I'm gonna say is the sooner the better. I really don't understand why we are nearly always the last people to get these kind of things. I mean Australia got this phone before we did......c'mon

Edit: Just one more thing. I see a few people are saying why not have android on this phone? I think winmo is a pretty dam good OS. I have used both types and i think winmo is better just for the shear amount of features. Besides winmo 7 has been confirmed to be making an appearance on this phone and I am very confident it will be amazing.
    If there is one concrete thing i know about winmo 7 is that it will include Zune and Xbox features. And if it follows in the success of Windows 7....you've got a winner.
    This phone has got the hardware (an oled screen would have been nice but would make the phone quite expensive) and will eventually have the software (it has great software now but will have amazing software eventually).
    Winmo 7 has been confiremed to be announced in two weeks, with public beta testing probably to follow.

Anyway thought i should just share my opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

jiminho wrote: »
    Edit: Just one more thing. I see a few people are saying why not have android on this phone? I think winmo is a pretty dam good OS. I have used both types and i think winmo is better just for the shear amount of features. Besides winmo 7 has been confirmed to be making an appearance on this phone and I am very confident it will be amazing.

Soon enough they'll have the HTC HD2 dual booting between WinMo and Android for those people that want it, the have it working on the HTC Touch Pro 2 now.

http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/touch-pro2-tilt2-gets-dual-booting-windows-mobile-android-rom

No one has ever convinced me why I should have Android on the phone anyway? It's not going to make Copilot live 8 any better, my music will still sound the same, there's far better app's available for WinMo and there's lots of different emulators to do everything. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

GigaByte wrote: »
    Soon enough they'll have the HTC HD2 dual booting between WinMo and Android for those people that want it, the have it working on the HTC Touch Pro 2 now.

http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/touch-pro2-tilt2-gets-dual-booting-windows-mobile-android-rom

No one has ever convinced me why I should have Android on the phone anyway? It's not going to make Copilot live 8 any better, my music will still sound the same, there's far better app's available for WinMo and there's lots of different emulators to do everything. :confused:
    To be fair, I think the real advantage of it is the fact it's open-source. WM Marketplace is a joke & this is definitely one of the areas where Andriod will leap ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm interested in getting one of these but amn't sure whether to fire ahead and order it now from expansys.ie or to hold off just in case O2 might offer it on an upgrade.

What would the be rough expected price for O2 to make it available to a first-time customer at?

I see there's a few of them on ebay around the €450 mark. New but have been opened. Always a little wary of ebay for major purchases - whaddya reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'm interested in getting one of these but amn't sure whether to fire ahead and order it now from expansys.ie or to hold off just in case O2 might offer it on an upgrade.

What would the be rough expected price for O2 to make it available to a first-time customer at?

I see there's a few of them on ebay around the €450 mark. New but have been opened. Always a little wary of ebay for major purchases - whaddya reckon?

If it's new, opened and not used, then I'd say it should be ok. I've bought several handsets off eBay over the years and provided you go with a good seller and they're willing to answer questions about the item, you should have no major issues.

With that said, I recommend you wait a little bit longer, if you can, to see whether O2 release the HD2 and for a decent price. I would imagine they would release it here, especially since it's already on O2 UK; not a guarantee, but a good indicator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

squire23 wrote: »
    To be fair, I think the real advantage of it is the fact it's open-source.

This is good news indeed, especially to HD2 owners who are interested in trying out the Android OS, this means you can run it on any mobile phone without needing a license. Soon enough there will be a dual booting rom for the HTC HD2 which will allow you to boot up into WinMo or Android if you want to.
    squire23 wrote: »
    WM Marketplace is a joke & this is definitely one of the areas where Andriod will leap ahead

I see where you're coming from with WM Marketplace, its impossible to defend! I think there's about 60 apps for us Irish users :D

Its not all doom and gloom there's a great Open Marketplace that only list free software.

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/opnmarket/

Why wouldn't O2 offer it as an upgrade?

Hey ppl just wanna give you an update about the HTC HD2 (im glad to see im not the only eager beaver wanting this handset).
    I was browsing the O2 forum and came across this:
    http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=8149
    Well it looks for definite its coming to O2 Ireland this month:D:D:D:D
    Luckily its not a leap year so the longest we will have to wait is 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Got mine here, next day delivery, cant go wrong. Amazing phone, the screen is b-e-autiful, really good quality, menus and touch screen work perfectly, if your considering getting it, don't wait any longer :)

http://phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1026

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

lads, anybody knows if this is available in any uk shop as pay as you go?im going up to belfast tomorrow and would look into it, might even get it. can someone from the south just drop in and get a phone on pay as you go? (ie address issues?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 poxymoronic

Despite what the poster Emsie78 in the link above says O2 have a dummy HTC HD2 on display in their store on Grafton Street today, along with the associated HTC HD2 spec and price sheet behind it - although there are no prices on display on this sheet. I spoke with one of their staff (after queuing and waiting for 20 minutes) and she knew little about it except to tell me that it only went on display today (it already looked well thumbed) and they (the Grafton Street store) sent an email to O2 head office to get prices/contract details on it but have yet to get a reply. Most likely the end of the week she says.

I've been coveting this phone online for some time now and its form is great - not too big and nice and light (if the dummy is any reflection on the real thing I dunno). I'm either gonna switch from Vodafone to O2 to get the phone or buy it Simm free online - all depends on how O2 price it. From looking at the prices of some of their other phones though and the way they screwed every iPhone user for so long I don't expect them to subsidise it by much or offer too good a contract so I'll probably just go simm free and stick with Vodafone. I'll definitely not sign up to an 18 month contract thats for sure.

Anything other than the HD2 to look forward to in the coming months? It seems the android and winmo7 versions are some way off. Does anybody know anything more?

Despite what the poster Emsie78 in the link above says O2 have a dummy HTC HD2 on display in their store on Grafton Street today, along with the associated HTC HD2 spec and price sheet behind it - although there are no prices on display on this sheet. I spoke with one of their staff (after queuing and waiting for 20 minutes) and she knew little about it except to tell me that it only went on display today (it already looked well thumbed) and they (the Grafton Street store) sent an email to O2 head office to get prices/contract details on it but have yet to get a reply. Most likely the end of the week she says.

I've been coveting this phone online for some time now and its form is great - not too big and nice and light (if the dummy is any reflection on the real thing I dunno). I'm either gonna switch from Vodafone to O2 to get the phone or buy it Simm free online - all depends on how O2 price it. From looking at the prices of some of their other phones though and the way they screwed every iPhone user for so long I don't expect them to subsidise it by much or offer too good a contract so I'll probably just go simm free and stick with Vodafone. I'll definitely not sign up to an 18 month contract thats for sure.

Anything other than the HD2 to look forward to in the coming months? It seems the android and winmo7 versions are some way off. Does anybody know anything more?

There are rumours that the N900 will be released on O2 also.

There are rumours that the N900 will be released on O2 also.

After 2 failed screens on 2 seperate N95 8GB's I've had enough of Nokia. When the Symbian and Maemo OS's catch up with Android or HTC's Sense wraparound of Winmo6.5 I'll perhaps consider them again. I have an N85 replacement for my last broken N95 8GB and I'm just about ready to smash it against a wall!! I know its a model thats nearly 2 years old but its still a very poor phone.

HD2 I think will probably still be top of line for most of the year. I have heard some rumours a crazy over spec HTC handset coming out in Nov along with the launch of WinMo7. iPhone 4g I doubt will be anythin special. Probably the same screen size but with more processor speed and oled screen. Athough did see this phone ydayhttp://www.coated.com/high-resolution-qisda-qcm-330-smartphone/ pretty sexy lookin phone

that looks really slick. i've no interest in an iPhone. I bought my wife an ipod touch for xmas and all i use it for is web browsing (which is what i hope to do with my hd2) and i think the ipod touch is very very poor in that regard - wikipedia rarely works, most youtube videos don't work. i'm presuming the iphone would be similar in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

Look what I got on a gold upgrade with 02 earlier today, guess how much??

http://img42.imageshack.us/i/photo2mx.jpg/

http://img15.imageshack.us/i/photolt.jpg/

in What store did you get your hd2 dontclickonthis?

129?

I believe this is available in shops in henry street

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Picked up one as well in Henry Street, they are allowing you to go onto the O2 Advance iPhone plans with 3GB free data etc.

129 on Gold Upgrade.

Looks a really good phone!

Originally Posted by poxymoronic viewpost.gif

despite my earlier comments i've just signed up for an 18 month contract with o2 for the htc hd2. €199 is not too bad for a decent phone thats €500 simm free. picking it up after 6 once they've checked out my bank details. i hope its as good as its supposed to be.

Must say I really love mine, could never use anything else now, the youtube, facebook, twitter and skype apps for it are fantastic and thats before you consider IE, Opera, email and text support and many more things which are spot on!

I got this phone yesterday (the last one in the shop!) seems a lot of the O2 stores are selling out of these phones so quick. It is an amazing phone, I absolutely love it. I can't believe I used such a small screen before :eek:

i agree, a truly excellent phone - worth waiting for. i got the last one too. mind you the girl in the store told me they only had 2 to begin with!!

• Advertisement

i agree, a truly excellent phone - worth waiting for. i got the last one too. mind you the girl in the store told me they only had 2 to begin with!!

Why the hell would they give a shop only 2 phones to begin with :confused: the guy in the store told me O2 didn't expect to sell as many as they did..

Advertisement