Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD2 (Leo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Its a great phone that isn't even running near its full potential. I'm really looking forward to the new TouchXperience UI that's in development at the moment. Check out the video of it here:

http://www.touchxperience.com/

Also, Copilot Live 8 is a bargin for 35 euros! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

Have my HTC HD2 few days now, great phone only problem I have with it is the battery life.

I knew the battery life wasn't going to be good, esp a 3G phone with such a big screen. I'm getting about 12 hrs out of a full charge.I am a heavy user tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Have my HTC HD2 few days now, great phone only problem I have with it is the battery life.

I knew the battery life wasn't going to be good, esp a 3G phone with such a big screen. I'm getting about 12 hrs out of a full charge.I am a heavy user tho.

Yes I have that problem too :(

I got myself a brodit HTC HD2 car holder which is great for charging it up on the go! My phone hasn't drained the battery since I got one :D

Also if you use a pc get an extra USB cable so you can have it charging while you're on the PC.

Update your ROM's as well, you get the latest versions from UTC.com or if you want the nice ROM's with the document tabs head over to XDA and grab it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

guys, anybody using this on meteor?i cannot seem to connect to gprs at all. i let the sim do the connection thingy, but since what wasnt working, i input it all manually, apn: data.mymeteor.ie user my password meteor .

however no joy. i did make sure the data connection is active and that 3g is on.

im very puzzled and would appreciate some help. thanks

Edit: 8.00 am - working now. i guess meteor was down at some point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 poxymoronic

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I got myself a brodit HTC HD2 car holder which is great for charging it up on the go! My phone hasn't drained the battery since I got one :D

Also if you use a pc get an extra USB cable so you can have it charging while you're on the PC.

Update your ROM's as well, you get the latest versions from UTC.com or if you want the nice ROM's with the document tabs head over to XDA and grab it from there.

so AntiVirus, have you already installed the ROM(s)? i want to install them myself but i'm not sure how they would affect the whole O2 thing. do you know if it would cause problems?

so AntiVirus, have you already installed the ROM(s)? i want to install them myself but i'm not sure how they would affect the whole O2 thing. do you know if it would cause problems?

My HD2 is sim free and I've had no problems flashing any of the official ROM's or the unofficial ROM's. Go to Settings->About Phone->Software Information and check to see what your ROM version is, the latest version is: 1.66.405.2 (76641)

Go to the HTC website and see if you can download it by entering in your phones Serial Number.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 poxymoronic

My HD2 is sim free and I've had no problems flashing any of the official ROM's or the unofficial ROM's. Go to Settings->About Phone->Software Information and check to see what your ROM version is, the latest version is: 1.66.405.2 (76641)

Go to the HTC website and see if you can download it by entering in your phones Serial Number.

Good thinking AntiVirus.

This ROM is not suitable for your device.

Fair enough. I'll have to wait for O2 to catch up and provide the appropriate ROMs.

Thanks again.

If you need any help with your phone or want to find out about any unofficial ROM's, tips and tricks or software etc.. the best place to go is to xda developers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=531

Enjoy your new phone! :)

Good thinking AntiVirus.

This ROM is not suitable for your device.

Fair enough. I'll have to wait for O2 to catch up and provide the appropriate ROMs.

Thanks again.

Yeah I wanted to upgrade but afraid of mucking up the settings with O2 so will wait a bit longer, still adore the phone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dontclickonthis

Anyone have any spare plutonium or uranium!! My Batt is about to go dead again!! New record 7hrs use and no juice left.One last post before it go's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

If you need any help with your phone or want to find out about any unofficial ROM's, tips and tricks or software etc.. the best place to go is to xda developers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=531

Enjoy your new phone! :)

I've had a look at the xda forum though it's pretty technical -I'll be grand figuring things out just when I know the overview of what it's all about and where to start. Is upgrading the ROM akin to upgrading firmware on a device? I can clearly see the benefits of the hacks and tweaks and apps listed on xda but what are the benefits of updating to one of the unofficial ROMs?

Is there any way to backup your data and settings before updating the ROM? Thanks.

Anyone have any spare plutonium or uranium!! My Batt is about to go dead again!! New record 7hrs use and no juice left.One last post before it go's :(

Turn the display settings down, don't have lots of programs using lots of data etc

I've had a look at the xda forum though it's pretty technical -I'll be grand figuring things out just when I know the overview of what it's all about and where to start. Is upgrading the ROM akin to upgrading firmware on a device? I can clearly see the benefits of the hacks and tweaks and apps listed on xda but what are the benefits of updating to one of the unofficial ROMs?

Is there any way to backup your data and settings before updating the ROM? Thanks.

Its too technical on there for me :o

Is upgrading the ROM akin to upgrading firmware on a device?

If you can upgarde firmware you'll be able to install a rom. There's a few different ways to do it but the easiest by far is to use your PC active sync and just run the exe file that you got when you downloaded the ROM. After a few minutes, its all done! It's that easy, if things go wrong and you can't boot up the phone a hard reset is all thats required to fix your phone.

Also you should get mymobiler, screenshot below is running active sync and mymobiler

Untitled-1.jpg

I can clearly see the benefits of the hacks and tweaks and apps listed on xda but what are the benefits of updating to one of the unofficial ROMs?

A lot of those ROM's have all those tweaks and hacks already applied and alot of those ROM's have the new document tab added which I don't think you'll get from o2. Also you can get the new WinMo 6.5.3 which is alot more finger friendly. The new E-book tab will be added soon, also they can look alot nicer, I like the clock and the transparent slider at the bottom :D

connect-2.jpg

Yip! There's a few different backup programs that will back up your data, settings etc.. theres sbp backup, Resco backup but I use sprite backup. Anything on your storage card like photos, videos, music etc will be still be there after you flash but you may need to reinstall some programs again.

You'll be nervous the first time but who isn't, just be gently with her :p

A great app for anyone who's into runnig, cycling or anything like that is Sportypal. It tracks you by GPS and you can see your stats and your course overlayed onto google maps in satellite view and its Free! :D

Why not buy a spare battery from ebay, here's one for 6 euros with free shipping HTC HD2 battery

You can just swap it when the other one's about to run out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Big thanks for that AntiVirus! I have mymobiler now installed and with the HD2 skin and it looks class. Doesn't have 100% the same experience as on the phone itself, little bit of lag, but very good overall though it is a little confusing not seeing the hard buttons (I can only see soft buttons).

What ROM would you suggest (wouldn't call it a recommendation as I accept all risk is on me if flashing the ROM)? And what's that Document tab you mention?

Sorry for the loads of questions, seems with the enormous power of this device, the more questions I answer the more new ones it poses due to its possibilities.

I have morphgear SNES9x installed and running Mario Kart (greatest game ever!) quite well though the software gaming pad is pretty difficult to work with. I'd buy a bluetooth one if there was one worth getting, or would a bluetooth keyboard do the trick?

Mario Kart on my phone? If you'd told me that was possible when I was 14 I'd have though you were some sort of godlike creature :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Sorry to butt in here. Total newbie, and not all that tech smart :eek:
    I am the owner of a N97 8GB, (in bad shape from a few mishaps) plus a first generation blacklerry for email etc,.
    I have been given a silver upgrade by O2, and was considering getting an iPhone, to combine my N97 and blackberry into one number. However, i am hesitant about iPhone, since I hear rumors that signal reception and dropped calls is a much bigger issue than Apple huggers will admit to.

Then I read a review of this HD2 in last Sunday's Business Post. I am tempted, I must say.

MY primary objectives for new phone are as follows.

1. Good voice call. Good reception. Little or no dropped calls.
    2. Synch with company exchange email (easily!!!!)
    3. Reliable wi-fi compatability.
    4. Synch with Microsoft Office.

Assuming like for like contract cost and minutes / data, which best matches my requirements HD2 or iPhone?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated!

What ROM would you suggest (wouldn't call it a recommendation as I accept all risk is on me if flashing the ROM)? And what's that Document tab you mention?

I would recommend the Artemis HD2 Rom, its got the very latest official Rom from HTC, which has the latest version of windows mobile, its got the Ebook reader tab and the document reader tab, plus lots of other stuff!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=612580

The document is ver similar to the ebook Reader tab except the document tab is for files like *.pdf, *.doc etc... Here's a clip of the eReader in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YComsvUi64k

I have morphgear SNES9x installed and running Mario Kart (greatest game ever!) quite well though the software gaming pad is pretty difficult to work with. I'd buy a bluetooth one if there was one worth getting, or would a bluetooth keyboard do the trick?

Mario Kart on my phone? If you'd told me that was possible when I was 14 I'd have though you were some sort of godlike creature :D

You need the MSI BGP100 bluetooth gamepad, its like a mini PS game pad. Morphgear is good but if you really want to impress your mates you need to install FpseCE 0.10, this is a PS1 emulator. It will play all your old PS1 games without any frame rate drops. Check out google for some videos running different games.

Here's a video of the HTC HD2 running Tekken 3 on FpseCE 0.10 using the MSI BGP100 gamepad, enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_667zwB3nLE&feature=related

I am really wary of installing these ROM's.. if anyone has done it with O2, can you let me know what it loses..

• Advertisement

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in here. Total newbie, and not all that tech smart :eek:
    I am the owner of a N97 8GB, (in bad shape from a few mishaps) plus a first generation blacklerry for email etc,.
    I have been given a silver upgrade by O2, and was considering getting an iPhone, to combine my N97 and blackberry into one number. However, i am hesitant about iPhone, since I hear rumors that signal reception and dropped calls is a much bigger issue than Apple huggers will admit to.

Then I read a review of this HD2 in last Sunday's Business Post. I am tempted, I must say.

MY primary objectives for new phone are as follows.

1. Good voice call. Good reception. Little or no dropped calls.
    2. Synch with company exchange email (easily!!!!)
    3. Reliable wi-fi compatability.
    4. Synch with Microsoft Office.

Assuming like for like contract cost and minutes / data, which best matches my requirements HD2 or iPhone?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated!

Without a doubt the HTC HD2. The HD2 ticks all those boxes better than the iPhone would.

angel01 wrote: »
    I am really wary of installing these ROM's.. if anyone has done it with O2, can you let me know what it loses..

You won't lose anything but you'll gain a lot of extras! :D You have always do a hard reset to set your phone back to its factory state if you're not happy with the ROM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

You won't lose anything but you'll gain a lot of extras! :D You have always do a hard reset to set your phone back to its factory state if you're not happy with the ROM. :)
    I don't have a HD2 but I've an older HTC phone & have installed dozens of ROMs on it. Works like a charm. I use PIM Backup to back everything up first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Without a doubt the HTC HD2. The HD2 ticks all those boxes better than the iPhone would.

I forgot to ask, in my original post. Will I be able to upgrade to windows 7 (or the Sense version thereof) when it is available, OR even if I can, would it likely make any difference to every day run of the mill user performance / experience?

Thanks

That sounds pretty good, might give it a whirl at the weekend, how would you do a hard reset if needed?

I forgot to ask, in my original post. Will I be able to upgrade to windows 7 (or the Sense version thereof) when it is available, OR even if I can, would it likely make any difference to every day run of the mill user performance / experience?

Thanks

No one will say for sure yet but I'd be pretty sure that its the phone Microsoft have been using to test the development of Windows Mobile 7. They use the HTC HD2 in its promo videos

http://pocketnow.com/rumor/htc-hd2-shown-in-windows-phone-7-promo-video

and also there are pictures of Windows Mobile 7 running on the HTC HD2

http://pocketnow.com/rumor/htc-hd2-seen-running-windows-phone-7-very-very-good-news

A good place to get the lastest news is www.pocketnow.com, check out the Mini HTC HD2 :D

so fingers crossed it will get an official ROM upgrade or I'll just have to do with an unofficial ROM upgrade. :D

angel01 wrote: »
    That sounds pretty good, might give it a whirl at the weekend, how would you do a hard reset if needed?

It's really very easy these days to upgrade your ROM, you shouldn't have any problems but if you do here's how to do a hard reset:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq64BzDLTvU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Thanks

The HD2 fits the spec requirements, although I'm not sure if the decree that all new win7 phones must have three hardware buttons will affect it. Worth noting that ms won't allow any third party skinning like sense for 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Yea, for me, the dury is still very much out on windows 7. I dont really like what Ive seen that much so far, and HTC have done a very good job in covering up windows 6.5.

C’mere, not to knock this thread off course for a 3rd time, but on O2. The basic plan, 150+ or something. That has unlimited GB download, is this right? I always thought the download GB are very limited on data plans. Also it’s a 18 month contract, have I an option to upgrade before the 18 months is up. For a tech head, 18 months is a long time for one phone.

• Advertisement

Yea, for me, the dury is still very much out on windows 7. I dont really like what Ive seen that much so far, and HTC have done a very good job in covering up windows 6.5.

C’mere, not to knock this thread off course for a 3rd time, but on O2. The basic plan, 150+ or something. That has unlimited GB download, is this right? I always thought the download GB are very limited on data plans. Also it’s a 18 month contract, have I an option to upgrade before the 18 months is up. For a tech head, 18 months is a long time for one phone.

It depends on a few things but usually around the year mark, you may be eligible for an upgrade. Yes it is an unlimited plan (3gb)

Advertisement