Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD2 (Leo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I would recommend the Artemis HD2 Rom, its got the very latest official Rom from HTC, which has the latest version of windows mobile, its got the Ebook reader tab and the document reader tab, plus lots of other stuff!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=612580

The document is ver similar to the ebook Reader tab except the document tab is for files like *.pdf, *.doc etc... Here's a clip of the eReader in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YComsvUi64k

You need the MSI BGP100 bluetooth gamepad, its like a mini PS game pad. Morphgear is good but if you really want to impress your mates you need to install FpseCE 0.10, this is a PS1 emulator. It will play all your old PS1 games without any frame rate drops. Check out google for some videos running different games.

Here's a video of the HTC HD2 running Tekken 3 on FpseCE 0.10 using the MSI BGP100 gamepad, enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_667zwB3nLE&feature=related

Great post again, thanks! I've ordered one of those MSI pads off ebay now and will install that ROM. That PS1 emulator looks class aswell. The eReader functionality looks great.

Does that ROM have all of the main tweaks (pink camera issue, 512MB unlocking, Wireless N) included by default and are there any other gems to be aware of?

Why would anyone buy an iPhone when the HTC HD2 is now available on O2 for under €200? This is pretty much the all-doing phone! Playing Divx files on it through CorePlayer with no need to convert them to another format is a fantastic feature to have on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Great post again, thanks! I've ordered one of those MSI pads off ebay now and will install that ROM. That PS1 emulator looks class aswell. The eReader functionality looks great.

Does that ROM have all of the main tweaks (pink camera issue, 512MB unlocking, Wireless N) included by default and are there any other gems to be aware of?

Why would anyone buy an iPhone when the HTC HD2 is now available on O2 for under €200? This is pretty much the all-doing phone! Playing Divx files on it through CorePlayer with no need to convert them to another format is a fantastic feature to have on the go.

Maybe i'm missing it, but there appears to be zero data included with any of the HD2 priceplans. The adds ons then only list data tethering for the iPhone. Is this just an omission on the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Maybe i'm missing it, but there appears to be zero data included with any of the HD2 priceplans. The adds ons then only list data tethering for the iPhone. Is this just an omission on the site?

They put you on the iphone plans

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Seriously thinking of getting this with the 40 a month plan. One quick question, there's no o2 branding on the phone is there? like this vodafone branding? nokia_6730_classic_phone_vodafone_logo_cellulars_and_phones_gadgets.jpg

MrSparkle wrote: »
    Seriously thinking of getting this with the 40 a month plan. One quick question, there's no o2 branding on the phone is there? like this vodafone branding? nokia_6730_classic_phone_vodafone_logo_cellulars_and_phones_gadgets.jpg
    Not on the actual phone itself no, you get the o2 logo when it starts up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

angel01 wrote: »
    Not on the actual phone itself no, you get the o2 logo when it starts up.

Cool thanks, that's fine I'll be putting a different ROM on it anyway. I just was wondering if they had a logo on it like they did on the o2 orbit/HTC Artemis. Thanks again I think I'll go for it. Now what to do with a SE k800i, a HTC Artemis and a HTC Touch Pro all of which still work fine. Being into gadgets is an expensive habit!

MrSparkle wrote: »
    Cool thanks, that's fine I'll be putting a different ROM on it anyway. I just was wondering if they had a logo on it like they did on the o2 orbit/HTC Artemis. Thanks again I think I'll go for it. Now what to do with a SE k800i, a HTC Artemis and a HTC Touch Pro all of which still work fine. Being into gadgets is an expensive habit!

The last phone I had was a K800i before I upgraded,. It is a brilliant phone, well worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I would recommend the Artemis HD2 Rom, its got the very latest official Rom from HTC, which has the latest version of windows mobile, its got the Ebook reader tab and the document reader tab, plus lots of other stuff!

Hi AntiVirus, I installed v3.7 of the Artemis ROM and though it seems to be working well and the eReader and Document tabs are great, there's other little quirks that aren't ideal. The 3 soft buttons at the bottom of the screen for me drag down the visual quality of the UI - is there any way to change those?

They also seem to take up unnecessary screen space. I can't get Morphgear working properly as the settings screen doesn't respond: I think because the soft buttons are blocking a Done button at the bottom of the screen. I end up having to kill Morphgear via the Task Manager. Have you managed to get it working on this ROM and is there anything I should be trying?

Can you add your own ebooks (e.g. in PDF) to the eReader tab or is it only books purchased through Borders? The Document tab seems to work for some docs but not others and PDFs open but the screen is just blank, so I'll need to check into it, seems great functionality though - love the way you can zoom into PowerPoint slides.

So, it's getting there but not quite perfected yet! Fantastic device, loving the Divx through Core Player and am just about to try out CoPilot for GPS in the car.

I swear when I get paid, I am going to download some good games from marketplace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

angel01 wrote: »
    I swear when I get paid, I am going to download some good games from marketplace :D

What's the marketplace like, is there much stuff on it?

• Advertisement

What's the marketplace like, is there much stuff on it?

It's not too bad, there isn't really much available that is free. I bought the twitter program MoTweets (which is superb on the HD2) but really most of the games etc are paid. I think there should be a lot more put on the marketplace but I have a feeling that the Irish marketplace is probably poor compared to other European countries.

I was going to download an alarm program because the alarm doesn't work well on the HD2 (it only appears to beep twice or three times)

Does anyone know any good websites that you can install free games that you can download on to the HD2?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

The marketplace is good, but not great really, but the big plus with Windows Mobile phones is that you can install software from anywhere, don't need to be told what you can and can't control as far as apple is concerned.

It does seem impossible to use data connections when connected to a PC though, when I docked it earlier on I tried to run an app I installed and it didn't work, found out that all data connections are disabled when connecting up to a computer presumably by O2 to stop you tethering with the device.

Must say I love my HTC HD2, although many people do not seem to know it is out because O2 are doing their very very best to sideline it advertise it as very little as possible and keep the stock as low as possible, but that is really hardly surprising to be honest as they are too busy ensuring it doesn't steal iPhone market share.

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    The marketplace is good, but not great really, but the big plus with Windows Mobile phones is that you can install software from anywhere, don't need to be told what you can and can't control as far as apple is concerned.

It does seem impossible to use data connections when connected to a PC though, when I docked it earlier on I tried to run an app I installed and it didn't work, found out that all data connections are disabled when connecting up to a computer presumably by O2 to stop you tethering with the device.

Must say I love my HTC HD2, although many people do not seem to know it is out because O2 are doing their very very best to sideline it advertise it as very little as possible and keep the stock as low as possible, but that is really hardly surprising to be honest as they are too busy ensuring it doesn't steal iPhone market share.

Thanks, I will have to search google for some games then :D

All in all, it is such a brilliant phone, would never want to use anything else now. I have to try and get Skype working but hopefully I can sort that out this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Your Marketplace is most likely locked to Ireland, if it is unistall it and then when you try to launch it again it will install a new version which allows you to change your region to any other region. It also allows you to download to your memory card as well.

As for data connections, I'd say it more likely you've got to setup your active sync to allow a data connection. If my HD2 is connected to the PC it use's the PC's internet connection or I can set my PC to use my phones internet. Also you can use your HD2 as a wireless router so any wireless device can use your HD2 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

I am seriously looking at this, after been swayed from the n97, but i have read about some issues regarding text messaging.
    Does anyone here have any problems with texting on the HTC HD2?

pabloh999 wrote: »
    I am seriously looking at this, after been swayed from the n97, but i have read about some issues regarding text messaging.
    Does anyone here have any problems with texting on the HTC HD2?

I've heard that problem to but I haven't had any problems even with the very first Rom 1.48. HTC did release a fix for this about a month ago, go to HTC europe and check for the HTC HD2 updates and you'll see it there.

Here's the link:
    http://www.htc.com/europe/supportdownloadlist.aspx?p_id=297&act=sd&cat=all

I have no issues with text messages, I just keep an eye on my text message icon to see if I have any new messages. I really love the phone, it is well worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=8859 would that be the cheapest place to get one of these....? Woops, they look like a scam company actually :o Anyone know the cheapest place to get this?

My k800i is finally on its way out :(

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=8859 would that be the cheapest place to get one of these....? Woops, they look like a scam company actually :o Anyone know the cheapest place to get this?

My k800i is finally on its way out :(

I had the same phone :( I got it as an upgrade from O2 for 199 Euro, to me you can't go wrong with that price (includes unlimited texts & calls to 02, unlimited data and 150 minutes) :)

I just bought this and its not registering my sim card, so i went back and got a new sim and its not registering that either. Is there a setting im missing? Or will i just get my refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

is it unlocked/sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

After weeks of research I finally ditched my Nokia E71 and got a HD2 from o2.

Initial impressions were:

Not quite as big as I thought it be, and not as heavy either (reviews make it out to be huge)
    More like a pda than a phone or an iphone.
    This is an expensive piece of equipment, and with such a large screen, will take a lot of careful handling if it is not going to get damaged, scratched, etc Not a phone for throwing idly into your pocket or lobbing onto a counter top.

After the first evening I thought I would be returning it. Why? :eek: Because I just couldn't get my head around the change and thought I'd made a big mistake.

A) Touchscreen. The touch screen is a big change from using the qwerty on the e71. I kept touching the wrong things, inadvertently changing pages, and found texting a major pain in the ass!
    B) The operating system. Couldn't find my way around, find things, change settings, control what the phone was doing etc.

Now, after 3 days, I'm much happier because I'm more in control - getting used to it. NB My wife found her way around it in seconds - appears it's very like the iphone to operate, but not having any experience of an iphone I was initially lost.

Windows mobile: I hate outlook with a vengence and use Google a lot for contacts and especially calendar, therefore was very tempted to look for an android.

Piece of advice if you use google in all it's forms. make sure you have all your contacts set up properly in Google contacts.Set up an account and download Goosync to sync your contacts and calendar and avoid Active sync. Use the inbuilt email app to fetch your gmail.

The Windows Marketplace for apps is crap. Use http://www.freewarepocketpc.net instead for 100's of free apps.

HD2.... it's growing on me. BTW HTC sense is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

Pikasso wrote: »
    After weeks of research I finally ditched my Nokia E71 and got a HD2 from o2.

Initial impressions were:

Not quite as big...

Windows mobile: I hate outlook with a vengence and use Google a lot for contacts and especially calendar, therefore was very tempted to look for an android.

...TW HTC sense is good.

You can sync Google contacts and calendar using exchange settings on windows mobiles active sync. No need to use outlook at all. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but there is nothing to download with this method. And everything is over the air. I only connect my phone via USB/bluetooth to my PC now to install apps that I find online. This way you also get push emails. I get my emails on my phone before even my PC pops up the 'new mail received' report.

I'm currently using a Touch Pro and am considering the O2 HD2. Can someone just confirm whether or not custom ROMs from XDA devs are possible or not? I'm not worried about warranty and all that, just whether its possible or not? I presume its SIM locked to O2?

Spipov wrote: »
    is it unlocked/sim free?
    No its on o2. they've given me 2 different sims now.
    When i go back to the o2 store it magically works for the girl in the shop but when i try it the sim doesnt register!

Jiggs wrote: »
    You can sync Google contacts and calendar using exchange settings on windows mobiles active sync. No need to use outlook at all. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but there is nothing to download with this method. And everything is over the air. I only connect my phone via USB/bluetooth to my PC now to install apps that I find online. This way you also get push emails. I get my emails on my phone before even my PC pops up the 'new mail received' report.

That's what I'm doing for email but because I have secondary calendars this method only downloads the info from the main calendar. That's why Goosync works like a dream for calendars and contacts.

BTW. That site http://www.freewarepocketpc.net is excellent. Sign up to Freeware and then download OpenMarket for an excellent shop for apps that you can download for free directly to your phone. :D:D:D

ok i am an idiot.
    I was putting in the sim the wrong way:o

ok i am an idiot.

haha :D glad you got it sorted!! what do you think of the phone?

• Advertisement

ok i am an idiot.

Best laugh I've had in ages. :D

Advertisement