Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD2 (Leo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Jiggs wrote: »
    Check out Nimbuzz. It has skype support as well as all the other major IMs. I have not tried it with skype, but I believe it lets you make calls using skype.

I know that fring (another multi IM client) used to allow this, but fring doesn't yet work with the HD2.

nimbuzz - id recommend. works perfectly fine with skype, audio comes through the internal speaker which makes it better.

you'll need to register at www.nimbuzz.com with a specific account name first..

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Anyone here know where to get a free copy of coreplayer?
    Done a big search but there doesnt seem to be anything around
    Ive downloaded myplayer and its telling me i need coreplayer

edit - also if anyone knows of a decent file convertor to view video files on the phone , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Skype working no problem for me. Latest Nimbuzz doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

sorry folks, that was a typo by me earlier - it was Swype that I couldn't get working, not Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Can anyone recommend a utility or something that will manage the data and Wifi connections - something that would switch over or automatically connect to your home network.

All the different configs for the APNs wrecks my poor melon :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Is there resolution independence with winmo 6.5, I ask because I wonder if there are issues with the HD2s unusal ( for winmo) screen resolution. How would the likes of the Bloomberg app compare to the iPhone version, does it take advantage of the screen or would there be formatting issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

Is there resolution independence with winmo 6.5, I ask because I wonder if there are issues with the HD2s unusal ( for winmo) screen resolution. How would the likes of the Bloomberg app compare to the iPhone version, does it take advantage of the screen or would there be formatting issues?

I have yet to find an app that doesn't support WVGA. WVGA is in fact a very common resolution on Windows Mobile now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I downloaded Klaxon from Opnmarket, that is a much better alarm that what was actually on the phone :D

What car holders/charger kits are people using for the HD2?

I was thinking of going for the Brodit Active car holder and getting the special ProClip so that it fits in my 2003 VW Passat. It seems from this photo that the clip fits in a pretty low position in the Passat - would there be any issue with GPS reception in that position as it may not have a 100% line of sight upwards out of the windscreen?

It's a fair bit of cash to invest in a holder+clip combo (£50 delivered) so I want to ensure it's going work well before deciding.

gallery.php?product_id=11625&view_img=b.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What car holders/charger kits are people using for the HD2?

I was thinking of going for the Brodit Active car holder and getting the special ProClip so that it fits in my 2003 VW Passat. It seems from this photo that the clip fits in a pretty low position in the Passat - would there be any issue with GPS reception in that position as it may not have a 100% line of sight upwards out of the windscreen?

It's a fair bit of cash to invest in a holder+clip combo (£50 delivered) so I want to ensure it's going work well before deciding.

gallery.php?product_id=11625&view_img=b.JPG
    I have a Brodit passive mount for my Hero (and Diamond previously) and think it's the business. They're expensive but worth it i reckon given that they are custom made for each car and phone and do not require any drilling into your dash! You could try the 'higher' mount for the Passat if you want:

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/sitegfx/Brodit_Images/602509-4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Someone told me about this phone last night so I checked out a few videos on youtube and it looks amazing. I have a nokia N97 at the moment which I was happy enough until I seen this. Did anyone switch to the HD2 from the N97? Is it really as good as it looks?
    Yeah, i went from the n97 to the HD2. I absolutely love it! The processor is crazy fast compared the nokia, i found that my n97 was really slow, at loadind messages and just about everything else! It was a good fone but the HTC is way better, better camera too. It doesnt have as much apps as say the iphone but there are a few out there, trying to get that .net compact frame network 3.5 to run all the applications, hopefully have it done tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I just ordered mine last night on ebay. It'll be a few days yet before I get it. I read a few reviews earlier on saying it's a great phone; but it's still a "windows phone". They were saying it as if it's a bad thing. Is windows mobiles really that bad? They never really gave a reason why. Maybe because they're just Apple fanboys with some issues!

I have a Brodit passive mount for my Hero (and Diamond previously) and think it's the business. They're expensive but worth it i reckon given that they are custom made for each car and phone and do not require any drilling into your dash! You could try the 'higher' mount for the Passat if you want:

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/sitegfx/Brodit_Images/602509-4.jpg

Good shout on the higher mount....might well go for that alright, I'd say it'll hopefully have enough visibility out the windscreen to pick up GPS signal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I just ordered mine last night on ebay. It'll be a few days yet before I get it. I read a few reviews earlier on saying it's a great phone; but it's still a "windows phone". They were saying it as if it's a bad thing. Is windows mobiles really that bad? They never really gave a reason why. Maybe because they're just Apple fanboys with some issues!

There's nothing wrong with windows mobile. It can do more than any of the other phones OS (operating system) out there. The problem is when most people talk about a phones OS they are really talking about the phones UI (user interface). So the iPhones UI is a lot better than windows mobile 6.5 UI but the UI on the HD2 is Sense which is alot better than the iphones UI.

I was comparing my Copilot Live 8 on the HD2 to my girlfriends iPhone and the HD2 is much much faster at loading and alot smoother running than on the iphone.

Good shout on the higher mount....might well go for that alright, I'd say it'll hopefully have enough visibility out the windscreen to pick up GPS signal...

I have the brodit holder for the HD2 in my car, its just a bit higher up than the one in your picture and it has no problem picking up a signal. Why not just leave your phone sitting down there with the GPS running and see how it goes?

The good thing about the brodit holder is, if you change your car you just need to buy the car clip, it you change your phone you only need to buy the phone holder. If you change both, well you can afford to buy another car clip and holder! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Hey guys, I just got the phone :D What are the things you would recommend to download first?

Hey guys, I just got the phone :D What are the things you would recommend to download first?

Lets skip all the flashing and tweeking and get to the apps.

Resco Bubbles is a must have game, its just to addictive. Worms,
    Experiment 13, Flight Commander, Crayon Physics are also very good games on the HD2

Copilot Live 8 is a bargin for 35 euros, all you need is a car kit and maybe a car :D

SportyPal. If you're into cycling or running or anything like that get SportyPal its amazing!! You can checkout your progress online and view your routes on google maps like thingy.

Midomi is a nice free app that will tell you what song is playing on the radio, great for those times you're thinking "Who's the band on the radio now".

Speaking of radios get WunderRadio, its an internet radio and its got about 50,000 radio stations built into it.

One thing I have I mine that I didn't think would be any use is my tourch app it use's the led's at the back as a tourch. One nice little short cut turns it on and off :-)

Download and install OpnMarket it's like market place but everything is free, also unistall the Windows Market place and then when you try to re launch it, it will download a new version where you can change your region to US and you'll find a lot more stuff there than in the Ireland region.

If you have any PS1 games, get FPsece and you'll be able to play them on your HD2 :D

Here's Tekken 3 running on the Hd2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_667zwB3nLE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGoa6jmTFk&feature=related

and here's Gran Turismo 2 running on the HD2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q9qAB7ADB4

There's also MorphGear for you nintendo needs :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Jo7pcegj4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFUhW97G-4

etc....

If you really want to get the most out of your new HD2 you've got to flash it with a new rom, check out the HD2 section of XDA-Developers where you'll find anything you need to know:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=531

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Lets skip all the flashing and tweeking and get to the apps.

Resco Bubbles is a must have game, its just to addictive. Worms,
    Experiment 13, Flight Commander, Crayon Physics are also very good games on the HD2

Copilot Live 8 is a bargin for 35 euros, all you need is a car kit and maybe a car :D

SportyPal. If you're into cycling or running or anything like that get SportyPal its amazing!! You can checkout your progress online and view your routes on google maps like thingy.

Midomi is a nice free app that will tell you what song is playing on the radio, great for those times you're thinking "Who's the band on the radio now".

Speaking of radios get WunderRadio, its an internet radio and its got about 50,000 radio stations built into it.

One thing I have I mine that I didn't think would be any use is my tourch app it use's the led's at the back as a tourch. One nice little short cut turns it on and off :-)

Download and install OpnMarket it's like market place but everything is free, also unistall the Windows Market place and then when you try to re launch it, it will download a new version where you can change your region to US and you'll find a lot more stuff there than in the Ireland region.

If you have any PS1 games, get FPsece and you'll be able to play them on your HD2 :D

Here's Tekken 3 running on the Hd2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_667zwB3nLE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGoa6jmTFk&feature=related

and here's Gran Turismo 2 running on the HD2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q9qAB7ADB4

There's also MorphGear for you nintendo needs :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Jo7pcegj4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFUhW97G-4

etc....

If you really want to get the most out of your new HD2 you've got to flash it with a new rom, check out the HD2 section of XDA-Developers where you'll find anything you need to know:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=531

FPsece was the first thing I got :P but everytime I try to exit, it won't... had to take the battery out :(

Thanks for the rest of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

Winmo is grand. I do think that alot of people complaining about winmo are really just complaining about the user interface. On the hd2 its excellent, everything is right there when you need it. As far as hardware goes, no other fone on the market can compare, it has top of the line gear and is superfast, the only reason people will go for the iphone is cause of all the apps it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

If you like twitter, MoTweets is the best app by far to use

• Advertisement

I have the brodit holder for the HD2 in my car, its just a bit higher up than the one in your picture and it has no problem picking up a signal. Why not just leave your phone sitting down there with the GPS running and see how it goes?

Thanks for the tip. I did just that last night and was pleasantly surprised to see just how well it found and kept the signal. Though I ended up ordering a central mount so that it'll be nice and handy to look at without moving the head. Expensive for a car holder but does seem like a quality setup.

Have to say I was very impressed with CoPilot - for €35 (UK & Ireland maps) I wasn't expecting all that much but based on my limited usage of GPS devices, it's easily the best I've ever used - would that be the common consensus?

Was very surprised to find it showing POIs like hospitals and petrol stations around Dublin - is that based on a trial or always there (with option to pay to update to latest)?

I got a mail from CoPilot pitching a £30 upgrade to Live Services to get live traffic updates and details of traffic cameras - suppose that only applies to UK and not Ireland?

Either way, the brilliance of CoPilot helps me justify splashing out on the HD2 even more as I was in the market for a GPS device and now don't need to buy a second device :D

Am waiting on MSI bluetooth gamepad to arrive and then I'll worry about getting FPspece setup (last time I tried it just went to a blank screen), looking forward to that.

I'll also be buying a Sony Ericsson MW600 bluetooth headphones adapter as soon as I can find somewhere that'll ship it to Ireland. It sounds great - love the idea of being able to use my own headphones and still control the radio and MP3 playback but it's the inbuilt microphone that wins it for me - being able to take calls easily is a plus, but having it there so I can take audio notes like a dictaphone on the go is for me a major bonus.

Thanks for the tip. I did just that last night and was pleasantly surprised to see just how well it found and kept the signal. Though I ended up ordering a central mount so that it'll be nice and handy to look at without moving the head. Expensive for a car holder but does seem like a quality setup.

Have to say I was very impressed with CoPilot - for €35 (UK & Ireland maps) I wasn't expecting all that much but based on my limited usage of GPS devices, it's easily the best I've ever used - would that be the common consensus?

Was very surprised to find it showing POIs like hospitals and petrol stations around Dublin - is that based on a trial or always there (with option to pay to update to latest)?

I got a mail from CoPilot pitching a £30 upgrade to Live Services to get live traffic updates and details of traffic cameras - suppose that only applies to UK and not Ireland?

Either way, the brilliance of CoPilot helps me justify splashing out on the HD2 even more as I was in the market for a GPS device and now don't need to buy a second device :D

Am waiting on MSI bluetooth gamepad to arrive and then I'll worry about getting FPspece setup (last time I tried it just went to a blank screen), looking forward to that.

I'll also be buying a Sony Ericsson MW600 bluetooth headphones adapter as soon as I can find somewhere that'll ship it to Ireland. It sounds great - love the idea of being able to use my own headphones and still control the radio and MP3 playback but it's the inbuilt microphone that wins it for me - being able to take calls easily is a plus, but having it there so I can take audio notes like a dictaphone on the go is for me a major bonus.

I love Copilot Live 8 and thinks its alot better than the TomTom one. Once you pay for the Copilot licence it just unlocks the current version you have. You don't have to pay for the POI's. The quick stop is great for when you need to find the nearest petrol station, its saved me a couple of times! :D

I don't know about the Live Services, but I'd guess its not much use for Ireland?

Must get my gamepad now! :pac:

Ive downloaded opnmarket , its great thanks for the tip, then i deleted windows market place (from 'remove programmes'), but when i try to reinstall from microsoft they ask for your mobile number to text you the progamme, so i am wondering how you manage to download the U.S version?

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Ive downloaded opnmarket , its great thanks for the tip, then i deleted windows market place (from 'remove programmes'), but when i try to reinstall from microsoft they ask for your mobile number to text you the progamme, so i am wondering how you manage to download the U.S version?

After you've unistalled it, the icon will still be on your HD2 so all you do is click it and it downloads the latest version. There is no US version, with this version you can switch to any market place and you can also set it to download to your memory card and not the internal memory. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Co0kie's Home tab over on xda.

Great program to change the look of your home screen and quick links.

Co0kie's Home tab over on xda.

Great program to change the look of your home screen and quick links.

Yes, thats a very handy utility! and don't forgot to install the CHTEditor (Co0kie's Home Tab Editor) it's a nice program that you can use to quickly change all the settings. There's a link on that page to it :)

Ive downloaded the cht editor, when i try to run the programme it tells me - "this application needs a newer version of the microsoft compact framework than the version installed on this device"
    Seems strange as it is a brand new hd2.
    So ive searched microsoft for updates but there doesnt seem to be anything?
    Any advice?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Ive downloaded the cht editor, when i try to run the programme it tells me - "this application needs a newer version of the microsoft compact framework than the version installed on this device"
    Seems strange as it is a brand new hd2.
    So ive searched microsoft for updates but there doesnt seem to be anything?
    Any advice?
    thanks

Some applications require a newer version of .net. I'm not sure if that's what that error message is asking for, but it's likely. Any of great modified ROMs on xdadevelopers come with the new .net.
    However, you can also download it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E3821449-3C6B-42F1-9FD9-0041345B3385&displaylang=en

Make sure you have the phone connected with activesync before running that setup file. Then it will update your phone. It is a little annoying that newly released winmo phones don't come with .net 3.5 already installed.

Cheers for that, i sorted it myself a while ago, it is a bit annoying that it isn't already installed.
    Cookies home tab works a treat for anyone who is thinking of downloading it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=625483
    Im hunting around for a free version of coreplayer for my hd2, not having much luck, anyone manage to find one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

@ Antivirus, Good call. Forgot to mention CHTEditor. Downloading and trying so much stuff I tend to forget certain things.:o
    Loving some of those games you listed above.

@pabloh999, I also got the same "need to update" message.

Advertisement