Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defective Car

Options
  • 24-09-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine (not me!) bought a car from a private seller. He should have had it checked, but he didn't. He paid cash. After getting the car home he discovered that there are serious problems with it and his mechanic now tells him it is not safe to drive.

I think it's a case of tough luck, but he really cannot afford this mistake. He needs the vehicle for work and used the last of his cash to buy it. Does he have any options whatsoever for going after the seller? He has contacted the seller and has been told to get lost.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

unfortunatly in a private sale it's buyer beware.

An expensive lesson but one harshly learned.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im seconding what whippet said. Caveat emptor. It may not seem fair, but thats how it goes with private sales. You have no comeback. Sounds to me like the seller may have known this. All you can hope is that karma gets the guy, (or if hes doing lots of backyard 'private' sales, that the taxman cometh :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Mods - I actually meant to post in Legal Issues, which I have now done, so please feel free to delete this thread.

And thanks to those who replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed at OP's request.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement